Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 08-27-2015, 05:01   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

ISIS intel skewed to meet Admin parameters

For some this will fall in the category of "captain of the obvious" or, as one retired professional I'm acquainted with said, "Deja vu all over again."

Spies: Obama’s Brass Pressured Us to Downplay ISIS Threat
U.S. intelligence analysts keep saying that the American-led campaign against ISIS isn’t going so well. Their bosses keep telling them to think again about those conclusions.

A couple snippets:

Quote:
“The phrase I use is the politicization of the intelligence community,” retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, the former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told The Daily Beast when describing what he sees as a concerted push in government over the past several months to find information that tells a preferred story about efforts to defeat ISIS and other extremist groups, including al Qaeda. “That’s here. And it’s dangerous,” Flynn said.

At U.S. Central Command, which is in charge of airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq and Syria, analysts have been frustrated for months that as their reports make their way up the chain, senior officers change them to adhere more closely to the administration’s line. Three U.S. officials and analysts spoke to The Daily Beast on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal matters.
Quote:
DIA analysis on extremist groups in the Middle East and North Africa has “typically been more hard hitting” and has not tried to paint a preferred picture about how the fight is going against ISIS and al Qaeda, Flynn said.

“It’s not trying to sugar-coat and give you a lot of ‘maybes’ and ‘probably,’” Flynn said. “It’s, ‘Here’s what we believe.’”

Current analysts said that there’s a tendency in some reporting to leave a sort of escape clause, that while the current efforts to defeat ISIS are going well, they could be set back at any moment. [OP note: Sounds just like a Josh Earnest briefing.] That kind of hedging appears designed to protect senior officials from subsequent accusations that they underestimated ISIS’s strength, while at the same time allowing them to say that the group is on the ropes.

Link to full article.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

I am shocked I tell ya, simply shocked!
Old 08-27-2015, 13:15   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Move along, nothing to see here....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 22:04   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Doing that very thing is how ISIS grew under commanders noses in 2011.

Not telling the king he was pant less has led to not telling him he is wearing his ass for a hat. Spineless...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:25   #5
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Considered along with the circumstances of Mattis being relieved from CENTCOM for being hard on his INTEL types for their assessments of Iran, either Obama wants to be given rose colored glasses or his staff refuses to give him the real information.

The latter could explain why he always learns about shit on the news....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 13:07   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Considered along with the circumstances of Mattis being relieved from CENTCOM for being hard on his INTEL types for their assessments of Iran, either Obama wants to be given rose colored glasses or his staff refuses to give him the real information.

The latter could explain why he always learns about shit on the news....
I think a third option is that, directed from the top down, anything that paints a Muslim entity in a bad light is to be discouraged, let alone reach the 'staff'. If honest assessments are never created, then their existence never has to be denied; with the added bonus of having a fallguy (the intel community) if needed. I'll take "Managing the Blame Line" for 1200 Alex.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 15:02   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Meet the new boss...
...same as the old boss.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 18:19   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

Oh, what a surprise!
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 18:38   #9
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

Poor us the Administration MADE US LIE.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:49   #10
head
Quiet Professional

1. Many of those low level "analysts" have already drank the Koolaid. They believe we are winning and can't comprehend alternatives showing we aren't.

2. I kind of miss Admiral Kirby... he was worse than Baghdad Bob.