Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 11-08-2015, 23:53   #16
Redwood
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Have you pressure tested this technique by trying to draw when you're fighting off a close-in attacker and are bent at the waist, or do you only practice drawing when you're standing upright?
Razor, solid point. That's one of the drawbacks to carrying appendix style and I have not tested that draw you described, but I am sure it would be extremely difficult.

I'll try to replicate that position as closely as possible with an inert firearm and see how it goes.

I have trained and and gotten much better drawing from positions on my back and in seated positions (car, chair, etc)-- appendix seems to shine in this regard and I find it telegraphs less movement.

I'd say every carry positions has its weaknesses and strengths. Just like an appendix draw would be hindered by trying to draw while bent at the waist, side carry, small of back, and other positions have their Achillies' heel as well. So far, this is what I feel most comfortable with. What do you prefer?
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 00:50   #17
SittingElf
Auxiliary

Mine's a Glock 26 in a Kydex in-waistband at 4-5 o'clock position. Carried chambered with HST 147gr +P

Backup in the SUV is a Browning Pro-40 ready in the center compartment.

Spend time on the range regularly practicing left-hand shirt lift and draw to position.
SittingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:35   #18
frostfire
Area Commander

I have much success with minimalist holster like Raven concealment with shorts and t-shirt. I've worn it during leadslinging class, competition, and while lifting and jogging. No hth though.

Also had success with desantis sheepskin ankle holster. Takes zillion times practice but finally got it down to <2 sec to "bang" Unless you're paying close attention, I look like someone who's about to duck and run

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:37   #19
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I presently have a 9mm and a .380. However, after the last couple of weeks, and dealing with some rather unsavory characters, I am thinking seriously about getting a license to carry a very short shotgun, probably in a briefcase. Not something that I would want to mess with every day though
class III shotgun?

Wouldn't you rather carry the PMPDW (AK pistol) ? Same legality as a pistol, several times more lethal

What about the Judge?

INDNJC
Old 11-09-2015, 05:10   #20
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Wouldn't you rather carry the PMPDW (AK pistol) ?
Like this one, w/folding spike bayo??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3718081-T800600.1.jpg (82.1 KB, 83 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:52   #21
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I made the mistake of carrying for self-defense but training for competition up until about 4.5 years ago.
Started training with my carry stuff, and was surprised at how slow, awkward and inaccurate I was shooting common SD scenarios such as from a seated position or lying down, weak hand draw and fire, low-light/no-light, etc.
I wear glasses, and the first time I simulated a reaction to an intruder from lying down with no glasses on and in the dark, I was embarrassed at my ineptitude.
Training for likely events sounds like a lot of trouble, and it is. Especially reloading with my strong hand immoblilized, but I figure I've got more of a chance getting in a situation like that because of Mr. Murphy than I do having a chance to employ textbook CQB technique in ideal conditions.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:56   #22
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
class III shotgun?

Wouldn't you rather carry the PMPDW (AK pistol) ? Same legality as a pistol, several times more lethal

What about the Judge?
I have a Governor (which my wife shot through the wall with---.410 rounds are hell on sheetrock---long funny story). But, its a pain to carry, and I just really like and trust a 12 gauge. Did I mention I make a lot of people mad?

Damn pistols just don't hit very hard.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:05   #23
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

We drive on the left of the road here. A hangover of the British Empire. This puts right handed shooters at a disadvantage as your gun hand is restricted in mobility because it is against the drivers door. Consequently, both my personal vehicles were Left Hand Drives, which makes day to day driving a bit of a trial, but your gun hand is free to shoot in almost any direction. LHD vehicles have now been banned and my latest is the horrible RHD, so overtaking is less of a trial, but shooting is strangled.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 15:06   #24
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

I pocket carry a .32cal Revolver, x 2"b. You will never know I have it. I also have a .38 cal with and articulated hammer, and 2 1/4" b. It is heavier than the .32 cal, and is really not that good as a pocket weapon. I have a shoulder rig for the .38, but to be honest, I do not like the .38 cal all that much, and generally have it holstered and in my vehicle.

The bulk of the time I carry a Glock 17. I carry it in a Safariland Paddle rig that carries rather high. I can carry it under a Tee shirt with no problems at all. The only thing I need is a belt in my trousers or shorts. I've been doing this for a couple of decades now, and it is well concealed.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:31   #25
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

You will automatically revert to your latest training, regardless of the weapon.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:23   #26
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Pocket carry.TR
Porter Rockwell, the Avenging Angel carried his in his pocket.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...Guns&FORM=IGRE
The Salt Lake Tribune cast the deaths of over a hundred men into the hands Porter Rockwell, but without a detailed accounting. James Coates, the author of In Mormon Circles, pegs the number a little lower, at fifty to one hundred.

Worked for him
Old 11-11-2015, 12:47   #27
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
I pocket carry a .32cal Revolver, x 2"b. You will never know I have it. I also have a .38 cal with and articulated hammer, and 2 1/4" b. It is heavier than the .32 cal, and is really not that good as a pocket weapon. I have a shoulder rig for the .38, but to be honest, I do not like the .38 cal all that much, and generally have it holstered and in my vehicle.

The bulk of the time I carry a Glock 17. I carry it in a Safariland Paddle rig that carries rather high. I can carry it under a Tee shirt with no problems at all. The only thing I need is a belt in my trousers or shorts. I've been doing this for a couple of decades now, and it is well concealed.
you must be rather...errr....uh, well-built. That's right, well built!

I used to carry G17 until I noticed the funny looks and uninvited groping. IMHO, if you own friends can tell you carry, it's fail already. Also found out the full size long barrel slows down clearing the waist/belt during quick draw. The G26 cleared quickest at .69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Like this one, w/folding spike bayo??
yeeech, there's tacticool then there's tacti-K....k for karazy or tacticum-bersome

INDNJC
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43   #28
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

I run with a Smith 442 in a older Bianchi Belly Band under my PT shorts. If wearing sweats can still strip on a IWB holster, gun belt under the draw strings.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:27   #29
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
I run with a Smith 442 in a older Bianchi Belly Band under my PT shorts. If wearing sweats can still strip on a IWB holster, gun belt under the draw strings.

CD
I've had a couple of 442's. Love 'em. Handy.
Shot some gigantic Buffalo Bore ammo through my wife's on day. Might as well have been shootin' a .357.
Took me 2 hours of scrubbing to get that bore clean, though...
Old 11-12-2015, 05:19   #30
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Urban Carry Total Concealment Holster

I'm looking at one of these Urban Carry Total Concealment Holster

This seems like a good t-shirt and cargo/walking shorts holster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hcS5hpMCM

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote