Old 02-04-2013, 17:05   #211
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Too many think that a cheek weld is to place your cheek bone on the stock, when it is to place your cheek area on the stock, more skin less bone. Remember to try and never place bone in direct contact with your weapon or on any hard surface.
Been shooting bolt action rifles so long had to consciously pick one up off hand to see were I place mine...it barely touches the stock, just an alignment guide to the sights or scope.

The former sounds painful...
Old 02-04-2013, 20:51   #212
Ramirez
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshot View Post
Been shooting bolt action rifles so long had to consciously pick one up off hand to see were I place mine...it barely touches the stock, just an alignment guide to the sights or scope.

The former sounds painful...
Don't you want your head to rest on the rifle? I mean not putting pressure on it, but you don't want to be holding the weight of your head w/ your neck to get a good sight picture.

Maybe I'm not reading what you're saying correctly.

This is a picture of me w/ my head on the stock. If I'm straight back behind the rifle, I can close my eyes take a couple of breaths, open them and still see right though the scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8323690114_c13307f750_b.jpg (54.7 KB, 94 views)
Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:04   #213
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramirez View Post
but you don't want to be holding the weight of your head w/ your neck to get a good sight picture.
Yes, but I should point out that: 1) The stocks I'm using are cut down so my rifle fits like a glove for off hand or sitting 2) If I have to cock my head it doesn't fit right and will delay alignment for a fast shot. Meaning: I should raise the rifle and it'll be were it should be, no stretching or shifting my head. Can lean in, raise it, and will be aligned on the sights or scope. My cheek (between mouth and nose level) gently touches the stock. Doing this I can still hit a dime with 22-250 or 243 at 50yrds (or quarter at a 100) with 4x4 nikon standing, someday's just a dollar or a tea dish...grin

When checking a rifle I put it in a reinforced cut out cardboard box with towels and rags (high tech), and have to look through the sights or scope with my head cocked in a prone position. (and sometimes get a fat lip too). The reason is that it creates a somewhat consistent barrel vibration as if I were holding it. Kinda like sighting in your rifle w/bipod on sand then expecting the rounds to land in the same place when shooting on a concrete platform. You'd want to be shooting it on a sand platform, least that's my experience with bipod's. Sorry about the detour...

The last time I shot regularly prone was when completing the NRA sharpshooter test, at age 12, other than the above box checking/sighting in or a quick field check. If what you're doing works (ie. alignment) and is consistent, do what Long Range suggested as he has much more experience shooting prone and teaching others than I do.

Hope that clarifies it some.
Old 02-04-2013, 22:27   #214
Ramirez
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshot View Post
Yes, but I should point out that: 1) The stocks I'm using are cut down so my rifle fits like a glove for off hand or sitting 2) If I have to cock my head it doesn't fit right and will delay alignment for a fast shot. Meaning: I should raise the rifle and it'll be were it should be, no stretching or shifting my head. Can lean in, raise it, and will be aligned on the sights or scope. My cheek (between mouth and nose level) gently touches the stock. Doing this I can still hit a dime with 22-250 or 243 at 50yrds (or quarter at a 100) with 4x4 nikon standing, someday's just a dollar or a tea dish...grin

When checking a rifle I put it in a reinforced cut out cardboard box with towels and rags (high tech), and have to look through the sights or scope with my head cocked in a prone position. (and sometimes get a fat lip too). The reason is that it creates a somewhat consistent barrel vibration as if I were holding it. Kinda like sighting in your rifle w/bipod on sand then expecting the rounds to land in the same place when shooting on a concrete platform. You'd want to be shooting it on a sand platform, least that's my experience with bipod's. Sorry about the detour...

The last time I shot regularly prone was when completing the NRA sharpshooter test, at age 12, other than the above box checking/sighting in or a quick field check. If what you're doing works (ie. alignment) and is consistent, do what Long Range suggested as he has much more experience shooting prone and teaching others than I do.

Hope that clarifies it some.
Awesome, I see what you're saying now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.
Old 02-04-2013, 22:41   #215
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Awesome, I see what you're saying now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.
Great...Glad I could help
Old 02-18-2013, 22:13   #216
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
I've had a couple of rifles since I last posted, this is my new favorite. I bought it a few months ago, and even though it's a .308, I still have a blast with it. It shoots sub 1/2 MOA all day and the rifle seems to fit me very well. Although I start going transonic right at 1000 yards when I have a 0 DA, I can load them up a lil hotter and it won't really effect them. At least none that I've noticed. Most of my matches have shots under 800 yards anyway.

Details are below.

Pierce Action
Pierce 20moa Base
Timney 510
Brux 11 Twist, Sendero Contour, 20", 5/8x24" TPI
APA Little Bastard Brake
Manners MCS-T4 w/ Mini chassis.
Bushnell HDMR w/ G2
Badger Rings
Versa-pod w. Versapod Mount
Tab Sling
nice stick!
How's the versa-pod running for you?

I thought of doing a review of mine, but I'm reluctant to put any negative point as the owner and the engineer were so nice as they gave me the plant tour. He even let me build my own bipod from literary nuts and bolts right there at the assembly line and charged me 0 $. I like the pan and tilt capability, and it's the fastest one to deploy compared to harris, atlas, brm, etc. Well, the truth is the knob broke just from my trying to tighen the mount to the spigot. Also, the triangle base formed has more acute angle than other model. Thus, it's more wobbly/probe to fall sideways.

Hope you have better experience with yours

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 22:26   #217
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

One thing about precision shooting, there are NO absolute rights, only absolute wrongs. As an example, jerking the trigger is an absolute wrong. However, always adjust your shooting to your body, do not try to adjust your body to your shooting. If you adjust your shooting you will shoot naturally and comfortably and with great consistency. If you adjust your body, it will tire and your shooting will got to hell.

When I make suggestions, it is just that, suggestions. If it works for you great, if not keep looking. You WILL find that technique that will work for you and your shooting will be natural and not contrived by using techniques that do not fit your body.

As an example, I place full head pressure on my stock when shooting all positions, standing off hand to prone. I know others that do not use full but only some, and then there are those that barely touch the stock. If it works do it. If it does not find what does.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51   #218
frostfire
Area Commander

Thumbs up

master Rick, between your:
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
NO absolute rights, only absolute wrongs.
and master Gene Econ's "train the eyes to see, and the finger to move," you two should collaborate and write the next Zen and the Art of ..... series Even if the book is only one page, and one paragraph long, it'd be worth it. Throw master Todd H to the mix and the reader is set!

Let's see, Zen and the Art of Lead Slinging? Zen and the Art of Reaching Out and Touching Someone?

Hope all is well! As I came across more current 37 instructors, you sure left quite a lasting impression

INDNJC
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42   #219
Ramirez
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
nice stick!
How's the versa-pod running for you?

I thought of doing a review of mine, but I'm reluctant to put any negative point as the owner and the engineer were so nice as they gave me the plant tour. He even let me build my own bipod from literary nuts and bolts right there at the assembly line and charged me 0 $. I like the pan and tilt capability, and it's the fastest one to deploy compared to harris, atlas, brm, etc. Well, the truth is the knob broke just from my trying to tighen the mount to the spigot. Also, the triangle base formed has more acute angle than other model. Thus, it's more wobbly/probe to fall sideways.

Hope you have better experience with yours
I liked it, It was really low, but that's just how this one came. I bought it w/ the stock. I've seen harris break as well, not big deal.

I sold that rifle to fund a .260 I had to get back into the 6.5/.264 calibers!

SAC built
SAC Alpha 11
26 inch Bartlein barrel .260
Manners T5A w/ APA bottom metal and badger EFR

1000 yards 7.9 mils w/ 140g Berger Hybrids
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JquUPia.jpg (118.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49   #220
tunanut
Guerrilla

Oh, that's real nice. What twist did you go with?
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08   #221
Ramirez
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunanut View Post
Oh, that's real nice. What twist did you go with?
1:8

That's my buddies surefire on it, I just bought an AAC Cyclone this week. So give me 6-8 months

It's been a laser. I took it out to 1100 yards with ease, and yesterday I was trying some different loads out to 300 and 400 yards. The 10 shot group is 8 shots w/ rem brass at 43.6g of H4350 and 2 shots of Nosler brass w/ 43.0 grains. When I was finished I put 3 VLD hunting though the same holes! I'm glad I can switch between the VLDs and the Hybrids w/o an impact shift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CN715vr.jpg (68.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg WG0z1Wk.jpg (74.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 10 shot group hybrid.jpg (74.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Lapua 300 yards.jpg (60.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 18:13   #222
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
1:8

That's my buddies surefire on it, I just bought an AAC Cyclone this week. So give me 6-8 months

It's been a laser. I took it out to 1100 yards with ease, and yesterday I was trying some different loads out to 300 and 400 yards. The 10 shot group is 8 shots w/ rem brass at 43.6g of H4350 and 2 shots of Nosler brass w/ 43.0 grains. When I was finished I put 3 VLD hunting though the same holes! I'm glad I can switch between the VLDs and the Hybrids w/o an impact shift.
Nice rig and grouping...love the 6.5. Don't have much experience with Berger bullets but most everyone seems to agree they are the finest for reaching out with groups that 'make the hole bigger'.

Always puts a grin on my face...
Old 08-10-2020, 10:05   #223
frostfire
Area Commander

It’s been years and now prs has proliferated like ipsc/action pistol/3gun

I get the itch again. Since I’ve (regretfully) rid of my precision instruments I get to start from nill - at least equipment and not skill wise.

By now 6.5 Is tried and true with 6 CM n 6 prc sprouting. So 6.5 is my starting point.

Anyone knows where to get Tiikka t3x on MDT acc?

I don’t think I could replicate the great deal I got getting tikka straight from berettausa director so I’m now looking at Bergara BMP, Bergara premier lrp n savage elite precision. Those prob offer best mil discount.
My primary concern is report of poor qc on these ie unreliable chambering w the elite and poor mount w Bergara.
Accuracy is wash on all this at around 0.5 MOA ( amazing how w the technology and some competition now one can achieve that w factory ammo n production rifle)

Anyone play w these recently?
I don’t mind if the action is not as buttery smooth as tikka n it’s not 60 degrees bolt throw but reliability w speed racking n solid scope mount are non negotiable.

FWIW, custom and mpr production are over my budget. Want to use the extra for bipod, level, glass, n Hornady 140 eld

INDNJC
Old 08-16-2020, 00:33   #224
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
It’s been years and now prs has proliferated like ipsc/action pistol/3gun

I get the itch again. Since I’ve (regretfully) rid of my precision instruments I get to start from nill - at least equipment and not skill wise.

By now 6.5 Is tried and true with 6 CM n 6 prc sprouting. So 6.5 is my starting point.

Anyone knows where to get Tiikka t3x on MDT acc?

I don’t think I could replicate the great deal I got getting tikka straight from berettausa director so I’m now looking at Bergara BMP, Bergara premier lrp n savage elite precision. Those prob offer best mil discount.
My primary concern is report of poor qc on these ie unreliable chambering w the elite and poor mount w Bergara.
Accuracy is wash on all this at around 0.5 MOA ( amazing how w the technology and some competition now one can achieve that w factory ammo n production rifle)

Anyone play w these recently?
I don’t mind if the action is not as buttery smooth as tikka n it’s not 60 degrees bolt throw but reliability w speed racking n solid scope mount are non negotiable.

FWIW, custom and mpr production are over my budget. Want to use the extra for bipod, level, glass, n Hornady 140 eld
I must be slow. All my online suppliers are sold out. Actually lol 😝 when I saw every single one without fail no longer has 7.62, 9, 5.56, 6.5 etc
I imagine it’s the same with reloading supplies
No point getting the tools without the sustainment. I’m going to stock on lawyers cards and whistles
The words of QP’s whom I sold my stash to are haunting me now.

INDNJC