Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 10-10-2006, 19:08   #31
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat509
18C schools? HAZMAT and Air Load Planner.

SFC W
I have both of those - I pissed off SGM Pete once....

Oh yeah, and then there was NBC School...

Oh, and drug and alcohol counselor...

And....
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:21   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I have both of those - I pissed off SGM Pete once....

Oh yeah, and then there was NBC School...

Oh, and drug and alcohol counselor...

And....
Who has their Bus and 80 Pax license?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:31   #33
Supe
Asset

For a civilian, post 9/11, the Urban Escape & Evasion course I just completed through Kevin Reeve of onPoint Tactical Tracking School was great. It's usually geared towards contractors working overseas, but he did a good job putting it into perspective in the event of disasters such as Katrina or other emergency situations.
Old 10-10-2006, 20:38   #34
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe
For a civilian, post 9/11, the Urban Escape & Evasion course I just completed through Kevin Reeve of onPoint Tactical Tracking School was great. It's usually geared towards contractors working overseas, but he did a good job putting it into perspective in the event of disasters such as Katrina or other emergency situations.
From his course descriptions, he seems to lack an understanding of what Army SERE training consists of.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:39   #35
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper

TR
Had both
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 21:50   #36
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

Quote:

SFC W
Hmm sounds like I better be asking for these two.
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:50   #37
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcrispy
LOL! These sort of just happen one day when you least expect it. They, and many of their counterpart courses, are located on a special DA Form 6 labled the "Hey You Roster" which in its unencrypted form means, "Let's see, who pissed me off last week?"
Old 10-11-2006, 06:26   #38
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:

TR
Sedan, Van, ambulance (3 kinds!!), Deuce and a half, CUC-V, and Hum-V escaped both Bus and 80 Pax (guess I never pissed off SGM H too much) - but had to take winter driving 2x a year for each of the vehicles on my license (Oct and Feb usually) I was made into a snow driving god by Uncle Sam.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04   #39
Pete
Quiet Professional

Yes, indeed

Quote:

SFC W
HAZMAT and Air Load Planner? Soldiers with that capability are very useful to the B Team. Brownie points with the SGM? You bet. But when that other, not so nice, detail comes along Brownie points can be cashed in. The SGM has a long memory.

Pete

Who as the SGM somehow ended up with a very large oil cooled French Cargo Truck on my license and delivered ammo to the teams. Talk about a hot running beast in the desert, that was it.

And who was told more than once "We could sign you out a vehicle but we don't have a driver." I carried the large form because the little license didn't have room for all the stamps. If it had wheels I had a stamp for it and we were on our way. Bus, 5 ton tractor trailer, etc, etc.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 13:19   #40
AF IDMT
Guerrilla

Can Zoomies play?

Best training is a toss up between IDMT school (learned tons and had a little fun) and CSTARS working Shock Trauma in Baltimore (pink scrub land) and riding the rigs with the Fire Dept. (learned tons and had a BLAST.)
I seem to remember some interesting plaques hanging in the trauma room as well.
AF IDMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 17:19   #41
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Schools

Most fun: DLI

Most boring: AWACS school in Keesler. I had to go to this for six months and the only thing that it had remotely in common with the aircraft I'm on now is the intercom system.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 20:16   #42
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
who wants to know...?
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 20:18   #43
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcrispy
ask for nothing....these opportunities will find you...

speaking as one with an 80 pax license and more time as a MACO/DACO/DZSO and air-land safety than i care to remember...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 21:55   #44
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmanII
Given 5th groups geographical A/O, and the countries surrounding the area, I was chosen as a young hard charging medic to attend.... SF Mule packing school. I kid you not good sirs! It was a rough 3 week course, learning everything from how to shoe the animals to properly packing them for a mountainous long haul to swimming but not drowning the animals while bearing their loads. The 2 weeks of classroom and hands on practical exercises was actually demanding, on both student and animals, but then came the final testing out trip. We spent a week in eastern TN in the mountains packing a teams full compliment of gear and other assorted supplies. We worked with every kind of pack animal and every situation the instructors could throw at us and man that was a fantastic school. Never got the oppurtunity to utilize the skill set, but it was fun and informative.

We had some training of this type in 1951 at then Camp Carson. (We being Korean War era Airborne Rangers.) This was coupled with cold weather and mountain training. A number of Rangers were kicked and bitten by the mules, during the training. Those Army mules were mean and sneaky devils!

As I recall the mule skinners (instructors) were from a 'Pack' Artillary unit at Carson. Most of them volunteered to become Rangers. Perhaps to get away form that unit.

I never did have to work with mules again in my Army career. It was an experience though!

One of the civilian police schools that I enjoyed and thought was very good, was the HDS (Police EOD Bomb Technicians course.) conducted by the Army EOD for us at Redstone ARSL., at Huntsville, AL

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:58   #45
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe

Supe,

I'm glad you got a lot from this course and would like to hear more about it.

I debated posting this as I don't want to start anything, but I have heard REALLY bad things about onPoint. I have NO first hand experience with them, but when considering taking a class with them a year or so ago, my training buddy and I heard a couple of horror stories from those who had attended (or in one case tried to attend [they showed up the instructor was completely unprepared]) onPoint classes. It's possible these were aberrations and/ or the folks there have since gotten their act together, but I know that I would be hesitant to take a course with them.

Your experience was clearly different and I would like to hear what impressed you about the class you took, what the was covered, how the class was structured, etc.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote