Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-14-2021, 10:36   #1
tonyz
Area Commander

BIG.GOV Canadien style May 2021

This could never happen here, eh...lol, Whitmer, Cuomo, DeBlasio, Newsome...Fauci...all taking notes. This reportedly happened just last week.

4 More Ontarians Were Just Charged For Riding In A Car Together During Stay-At-Home Order
Patrick John Gilson
MSN
5/11/2021

A group of people were charged for riding in a car together last week after they were found breaking Ontario's stay-at-home order.

According to the OPP, the four individuals were halted during a traffic stop on Highway 112 in Otto Township on May 8, where officers discovered that they didn't live together.

Editor's Choice: Doug Ford Is Reportedly Considering Extending Ontario's Stay-At-Home Order Until June

Each person was charged with Failing To Comply With A Continued Section 7.0.2 order, which could cost each of them $750.

"The investigation revealed that they were from different households and travelling for non-essential purposes," an excerpt from the report reads.

Timmins Police reported a similar incident back in April after a group of five was fined for carpooling together.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...1gA3D5#image=1

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:39   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

Embrace it - that is exactly what the majority of the inhabitants of north america seem to want
dont blame the cops
dont blame the politicians
blame the voters
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:20   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Lol, so much for reducing your carbon footprint by carpooling.

You vill obey !

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old 05-15-2021, 08:24   #4
Longstreet
Guerrilla

While I do agree that the Ontario government has way overstepped by granting the Police power to charge people for not staying home during COVID, I am wondering the spin it may be putting on this whole situation - it is MSN afterall...

When the Ford Government gave the Police the power to inforce the lockdown and gave the Police power to pull over cars they suspected of violating the lockdown, several Police Forces refused to use such powers - many stated this on their websites and even gave live interviews - as they publically stated that using such powers would harm relations they have built with their communities.

I did some quick Google-Fu and as far as I know, there are only two instances where cars were stopped and people were charged. This is over a 5 month period of time. So it is good to see that our police are still making solid judgements.

I did some looking and the car was pulled over as it was "suspicious". I have yet to find anything which suggests why the vehicle was suspicious; however when the vehicle was pulled over, the driver did "falsely identify himself". I have seen how some people respond to being pulled over by the police and am wondering if this may be what really caused the tickets. Perhaps the occupants of the car were giving the cop a rough time and the cop finally just had enough and awarded everyone a ticket.

I had a friend who rented an Air BNB during this time despite being in provincial lockdown. An angry neighbour did call the OPP (provincial police) who paid my buddy a visit. He politely explained the situation with the officer and the officer bid him a good day and left - despite two families sharing the same Air BNB which clearly violates the lockdown in multiple ways.

So again, it looks like this law is still up to the discretion of the police and is not being blindly enforced. I do agree the police should never have been given this power, but maybe the charges were more "self-inflicted?"

And just a fyi, when the Ford government really ramped up the lockdown and granted more power to the police - which I believe was a Thursday or Friday - by Monday, the government retracted and actually apologized for over stepping its boundaries.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ence-1.5997521

And to clarify, I am not trying to support or justify the Ontario government's actions. I am just trying to provide more of the story...

Longstreet
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--

Last edited by Longstreet; 05-15-2021 at 08:37.
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 19:07   #5
tonyz
Area Commander

Thanks for some ground truth LS.

No doubt MSN gets a lockdown chubby on any type of government clamp on freedom.

Marcus Tullius Cicero