Old 06-23-2006, 19:07   #1
Hellboy
Asset

The Legion

Didn't they used to call the 5th...The Legion.........?
Old 06-23-2006, 20:19   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Just my memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy
I was in 5th Group from 74 to 87. All of that was in 3rd Battalion. In all that time I don't remember "The Professionals" or "The Legion" in general use.

When I came back to 5th Group in 93 I began hearing "The Legion". I think I first recall it said by the Group Commander and then by a few others here and there. Again, it was not in general use but everybody at that time knew that it refered to 5th Group as a whole.

Knowing a word is related to a Group and then using it everyday are two different things.

Anyway, that's how I remember it.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 20:34   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:

They still do. It's internal to the Group/community, I wouldn't recommend throwing it around like one of the cogniscenti. FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56   #4
Mike
Quiet Professional

In '68 the CO of C-3 or A Company 5th Grp began referring to said C Team as "The Professionals" both in word and in print.

I have always had a personal fascination with "The Legion" and don't think of it being a good comparison or point of reference to any SF.

They would compare well with rangers as a unit.
My .02 Dong
Old 07-09-2006, 21:02   #5
SERPENT5XX
Quiet Professional

Gentlemen,

I believe the “legion” reference began shortly after Desert Storm. Most guys on the Teams never really used the term, it seemed to be mostly used by BN and Grp types, especially the various Group CDR’s.

Take care,

SERPENT5XX
SERPENT5XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 21:38   #6
badcarma
BANNED USER

Yes, they call it that most of the FOGs say it, matter afact i heard it just the other day.
badcarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:26   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

GEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcarma
Yes, they call it that most of the FOGs say it, matter afact i heard it just the other day.
GEE, SEPENT5XX, I guess that last post sure put us in our place in life's line.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:40   #8
zinger531
Asset

“The legion”

Guys,

From what I understand, the term “The Legion” was started with the 5th and 77th, and then rarely used, I agree that the use was mostly at the BN and Group levels, but not as a normal reference and never outside SF. Here is my recollection which is dated.

The first, I heard the reference was at a SFA while talking to Pete Petersen (77th SFG) now this was a long time, and having consumed the normal amount of libations, anyway Pete told me this long sorted story, so here is the quick and dirty: The reference to SF and the 5th specifically as “The Legion” came from the results of a tough mission, that was executed using the primary plan (this would have been a first) by a short handed ODA, very efficiently and this mission was taken because the Regular Army guys could not step up. The regular Army Brass said that it would take a “Legion” to complete the mission, months to plan, and then the threat would be gone, so the 5th Group Commander stepped forward, saying Bull Shit, my guys can do it, in three weeks and that only one ODA was needed, so they planned, executed, and completed the mission in two weeks and five days, so the reference “The Legion” was born this was in 62 or 63. Pete thought using “the Legion” was over the top, but he was from the 77th and they were never over the top, were they? So to close this commentary, the Group and BN Commanders loved using the term “The Legion” as SF Teams always are doing what others consider are impossible missions. So, that’s the story and I’m sticking to it!
Old 07-10-2006, 15:41   #9
SERPENT5XX
Quiet Professional

Zinger531,

Sounds like a good story to me! I'll buy that!

Take care,

SERPENT5XX
SERPENT5XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 16:47   #10
badcarma
BANNED USER

don't get me wrong Pete I'd follow an FOG into a hot LZ any day and be honored. Nothing but respect for you gents.
Old 07-27-2006, 17:27   #11
Hellboy
Asset

Sounds like a credible explanation but then who cares what you call them. You are going to get your butt kicked no matter what you call them.
Old 07-27-2006, 17:53   #12
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcarma
don't get me wrong Pete I'd follow an FOG into a hot LZ any day and be honored. Nothing but respect for you gents.
Hush.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 17:54   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sounds like a credible explanation but then who cares what you call them. You are going to get your butt kicked no matter what you call them.
Then why did you ask the question in the first place? You hush too.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 21:07   #14
badcarma
BANNED USER

SORRY NDD Ill hush now
Old 09-18-2006, 23:03   #15
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Hmmm......I thought it all stemmed out of the Movie Gladiator!!!!!!!!

Seems like right after that movie came out, all the Commanders and staff started to bandy "The Legion" around, along with "Strength and Honor!!!!!!!!"

I guess it was just a reincarnation!!!!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote