Old 11-10-2021, 18:22   #1
Penn
Area Commander

Never Gets Old

This recipe is a staple in most French focused kitchens, we have been executing this recipe, on and off, for the past forty five years. Today, imho, we produced the best retention ever executed.
It was perfectly jiggly in the ramekin, pure white and set perfectly, a wonder to look at

Crème Brulee

1. In a double broiler
1400ml Cream
500ml Milk
with 2 Vanilla Beans or Vanilla Extract to Tasted, with 250gr Sugar
Separate
20 Egg Yolks
and place yolks in Kitchen aid
Blanche/whip until double in volume

When sugar has dissolved, and the yolks are blanched, temper the yolks with the cream, until fully incorporate. DO NOT WHIP, you do not want any air bubbles. Air bubbles occupy space and then deflate, decreasing the content in the ramekin, causing the Brûlée to over cook.

To ensure best cooking technique, place the ramekins in a hotel pan and fill ramekins to just below the lip, add water to the hotel pan, creating a Bain Marie/water bath, to cook the Brûlée.

Cover hotel pan with aluminum foil.

Cook at 350^F for 30 mikes, ck giggle, should be loosely set and have a little movement at the same time- its sensory thing.

Timing is always btw 30 & 45 Mikes depending on a lot of factors to numerous to state, which brings me to this point, in all my time in the kitchen, today was the best result and we were so excited by the outcome and the execution, we can't wait to see how the clients will respond to perfection.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by Penn; 11-10-2021 at 18:30.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 19:42   #2
CSB
Quiet Professional

What is a hotel pan, what does it mean to blanch egg yokes?

How many servings does that recipe make? It looks like a lot.

And how do you make the crackle caramel on top? I know it has something to do with a blowtorch.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:30   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

To put the crackle on top, use sugar and a torch. Sprinkle raw sugar(If you have it) or refined sugar on top of the Brûlée's. Use the torch to melt the sugar. As the sugar heats up, it will melt. Be careful not to burn the sugar. When it cools, it will harden giving you the crackley coating...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 22:43   #4
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
What is a hotel pan, what does it mean to blanch egg yokes?

How many servings does that recipe make? It looks like a lot.

And how do you make the crackle caramel on top? I know it has something to do with a blowtorch.
The recipe can be reduced in 1/4

Blanche eggs yolks is the process of whipping them in a mixer to double their volume. They are the binding agent.

A hotel pan is an 18"L X 12"W X 2" high SS pan, you have seen them a thousand times in deli cases.

The trick to caramelization is first, evenly spreading the sugar across the the cooked, and then well chilled Brûlée, by turning the ramekin in your hand (finger dexterity), while using a small pastry blow torch to melt the sugar.

As the sugar melts, you must turn the ramekin on an angle so that the sugar runs across the surface evenly. We use about 1 to 2 teaspoons, 2 packets of sugar actually, because it's already a set quantity to work with and does not require an extra step for measurement.

The caramelization is executed to order, never in advance.

Last edited by Penn; 11-16-2021 at 22:48.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 17:52   #5
CSB
Quiet Professional

Smile

A much delayed "Thank You" to Penn.
I am always amazed at the span of knowledge on this site.
And now I have a secondary use for my butane cigar lighter.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote