Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Feather

Old 07-21-2009, 13:38   #1
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Fall Turkey

Ok other than targets of opportunity, I've never done any fall turkey hunting. Now the wife wants to take her bow after some this fall. Who has been successful at this and is willing to give some tips? Pm or post would be nice
thanks
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 16:07   #2
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

JoeyB.

Fall turkey in MOO is all basically targets of opportunity. You can still call the birds in using hen clucks or purrs with slate or mouth. The hens especially if there is a Boss Hen in the flock will come to check things out and see who is invading her territory. Gobblers will sometimes tag along.

To me its not as much fun as Spring Gobbler, when the birds are more agressive to the call.

Depending on your area of Ohio, it would probably be best to set up at the edge of the woodline where it borders a nice field.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37   #3
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

SWPA
Thanks for the info. Yeah I agree I dont think anything beats Spring Turkey! Problem is the wife likes it warmer than it gets in the spring. Ill give it a try this year. Thanks again
Old 07-22-2009, 11:55   #4
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

JoeyB,

Try to set up near a water source, preferably a creek or small stream near a draw (if you hunt a mountainous/hilly area). The past few years I have seen a bunch while bowhunting, all in different parts of MD which is close to the landscape in Ohio. Hope this helps, and good luck!

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:58   #5
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I think you will find fall turkey hunting much easier than spring, except that you will have to walk a lot more. It is a lot more difficult to locate birds than spring(not much gobbling going on). But in fall you shoot toms or hens(at least in Missouri), and there are a bunch of really young birds out there, and they call really easily.
Here in southern Missouri, the guys try to find a flock, which is really 2-3 hens that get together with their broods. Finding where they roost is very helpful. The old timers actually tried to split the group up, going so far as to run through the flock and flush them like quail. Then, they would sit down not far from where they flushed the birds. The young turkeys call back rather easily, especially in the fall. I realize this sounds a little odd, but remember that these old hillbillies(of which I am one) were trying to live off the land.
Good luck
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16   #6
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Craig
Id heard of the scatter method, if I can locate some birds, I may have to try that just to say I did.
Thanks for the info, Ill have to start asking around for who has seen birds and where
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34   #7
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Well, I didn't get this one with a bow, but It's my first bird. She was with about 10 others walking at 60 yards. She stopped for a second, and that was all she wrote! We had great weather, and the mountains are beautiful this time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey01.jpg (43.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg GR2.jpg (51.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg GR3.jpg (40.5 KB, 42 views)

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
Old 11-02-2009, 18:07   #8
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Way to go!!!!

I am going to try to get out on Wednesday and give them a try.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 21:31   #9
wet dog

Who's ever got a 'Grand Slam', and long ago was it?

WD
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38   #10
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Thank you Buffalobob. I've been hunting these birds off and on since I was 14, and finally bagged one. On public land no less (Green Ridge State Forest). The hole in my heart won't be filled until I get a tom though Good luck on Wednesday!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:40   #11
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Went with my oldest on monday and tuesday (half day). Hunting in the GW nat'l forest in the hills of Shenandoah county, VA. Have seen/heard turkey in the area before, but didn't have them patterned.

I never hunted them before so we're both OJT-ing. Blind leading the blind.

We got lucky and he had one respond to a call (simple push-pull box call) but he never got sight of it. Sat one day in an area where we had seen them and then walked the hills (actually mountains) the other.

Kicked up a couple of deer but saw no turkey.

But, they were good days in the woods walking around and camping.

Congrats on your bird, BryanK
Old 11-04-2009, 13:11   #12
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Went with my oldest on monday and tuesday (half day). Hunting in the GW nat'l forest in the hills of Shenandoah county, VA. Have seen/heard turkey in the area before, but didn't have them patterned.

I never hunted them before so we're both OJT-ing. Blind leading the blind.

We got lucky and he had one respond to a call (simple push-pull box call) but he never got sight of it. Sat one day in an area where we had seen them and then walked the hills (actually mountains) the other.

Kicked up a couple of deer but saw no turkey.

But, they were good days in the woods walking around and camping.

Congrats on your bird, BryanK
Thank you Sir. My girlfriend and I were also in our spot blind. It was her first hunt. She had a blast, but unfortunately she could not be the one to bag the bird because I hadn't familiarized her with my .22 which was the weapon of choice on the hen due to her distance. I also have to agree that just being out in the woods is the best part.

Old 11-04-2009, 18:22   #13
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

BryanK

In your middle picture is where I usually hunt. Was down there today and expected the turkeys to come along the ridgeline that the overlook is on so I had a 17 Rem caliber rifle with scope. Turned out the turkeys were over in West Va and about 9:00 they flew over and landed about 30 yards behind me. Easy shotgun range, but when I tried to move to where I could see them in the brush the crunchy leaves gave me away and they all flew back to West Va and I got no shot with the rifle.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 15:38   #14
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Buffalobob,

I'm sorry to hear that. Thats the biggest problem with hunting the birds around that way. The slightest movement they catch, their down the mountain in a wing flap. I hunt near Bond's Landing to minimize their ability to do that. However, last year I had a tom about a hundred yards from me, and he bolted across the Potomac as soon as I rounded a big tree. Thats what I get for exercising the "spot and stalk" method (and being impatient). This year I sat in a blind. I cleared all the sticks/leaves from the base area first so they wouldn't hear me. It worked! Better luck to you in the spring!

Old 11-06-2009, 23:17   #15
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Thank you Sir. My girlfriend and I were also in our spot blind. It was her first hunt. She had a blast, but unfortunately she could not be the one to bag the bird because I hadn't familiarized her with my .22 which was the weapon of choice on the hen due to her distance. I also have to agree that just being out in the woods is the best part.
C'mon you know you're glad that you shot it and not her. Admit it.

In the interest of fairness, i'll admit to not being totally happy about the "walking around in the woods and camping without killing a damn thing" part.