Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 05-10-2007, 17:46   #76
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Note to self: Conduct next crime spree in McKinney, Texas.

Thank you for your kind words all. It is very easy to say these things. More difficult to instill them - in self or especially others.

I am much more professional now than I was at 25. Lot to be said for years of bad and good examples.

Dude - remember- Mckinney cops can call in Dallas cops as backup, take the crime spree to some small town further south in Texas...

Professional is as Professional does - you are.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 17:47   #77
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jack
I want to throw my 2 cents in about something NDD covered. Two words. Operational Necessity. Is what you are doing different from the rest of the army an operational necessity? You live with and advise Iraqi soldiers in combat, while you are with them you don't wear us army or nametapes, no rank or unit patch. You don't blouse your boots and you roll up your sleeves and maybe you wear the same patch of the Iraqi unit you work with. These are all operational necessities. You have an operational necessity to maintain opsec and persec. You have an operational necessity to do what you can to mitigate effects of the 120 degree heat. You have an operational necessity to maintain rapport with your Iraqi counterparts. But what do you do when you go to where the big army is? Do you stay in the same uniform because it shows your special? If you do, you don't understand operational necessity. You are taking advantage of the flexibility SF has to stroke your own ego and in the long run draw unwanted attention to yourself and SF. When that conventional CSM walks up to you at the PX and asks you why you are in the uniform you are in and you tell him it's "My unit SOP" and he calls your CSM what do you think your CSM will do? What do you think you have done for the credibility of SF.
When you understand what operational necessity is and apply it to yourself and the soldiers around you (remember you are an NCO) you will have gone a long way towards becoming a mature SF soldier.
Abu Jack Out
Damn fine post. I keep coming back to it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 18:02   #78
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
Dude - remember- Mckinney cops can call in Dallas cops as backup, take the crime spree to some small town further south in Texas...

Professional is as Professional does - you are.
Brother, I have seen Dallas SWAT on tv and I know....never mind....
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:31   #79
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

NDD and others, thanks for this thread. It's been a tough year for our family and it's helps more than you know.
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 13:37   #80
3SoldierDad
Guerrilla

The business of life...

Investor Warren Buffett says that he wanted three qualities in the men he worked with - Integrity, Energy, and Intelligence.

He said if they lacked integrity he wanted them lazy and stupid.

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

- Mark Twain
3SoldierDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 15:45   #81
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgec
Reading these posts makes me feel truly blessed to be serving in the profession of arms with men of such caliber.

I have a situation and then a couple of questions.

Situation:
Let's say I know this guy who is a Troop XO. In this Troop of 56 there are 4 other O's. One is a young 2LT coming along well, the other three are mediocre at best. There is a WO, absolutely professional soldier in every aspect. There are 50 E's. Of those, over 30 are NCO's. Of those 30+ NCO's, no less than 20 are mediocre at best. The best part....maybe 5 people in the whole troop actually care and work to make it better. On top of that is the upcoming tour to IZ.

Questions:
What have those of you who have dealt with leadership challenges found to be a quick and effective way of instilling warrior ethos into less than motivated personnel? Not including leading by example, which should be a given. Then again, how do you make a key leader lead by example (O and NCO alike)? How can you train the mind and influence a population that has adopted a defeatist attitude?

-M Baker
Leading by example is a big one. It's not just waving your Arms and saying follow me. It's also something as trivial as reaching down and picking up a piece of trash in your AO. Helping to unload gear with your men. Stepping up to the front to do a Demo. But not often enough to step on toes.
The results of being a successful trainer/leader. Are never obvious and immediate. Its all the little things in people you are training that you notice. Not flagging people when exiting the Arms Room, conversations are more about Tactics, dry firing during breaks, weapons slung across the chest at the ready, not over their back. This transformation is one of the most gratifying things to see.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36   #82
Elite
Asset

Excellent

Gentleman i have read this thread a good few times now and it`s saved to my favorites list , your good a bunch of guys - with a hell of alot of experiance your words have helped me feel stronger within myself and for that i thank you.

God bless , And good luck

Last edited by Elite; 07-25-2007 at 04:22.
Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 13:47   #83
miscmike
Asset

When I said in my intro that I found inspiration on this site, this thread is the prime example of that. Thanks very much...
miscmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 13:53   #84
yasnevo
Asset

Quote:
Brother, I have seen Dallas SWAT on tv and I know....never mind....
I've had the opportunity to train with them, great guys, competent and all, but toss a can of hair gell or a pair of mirror Oakleys into a room with them and its an all out fight as to who will get it.

Back to the theme mere. Man, I have to say, that if NousDefionsDoc and MANY, MANY other where to put what they call rants and ramblings on paper and into a selt published book like Paul Howe did... it would sell. Of all the mindset lectures I have heard, all the mindset threads I have read, this is one of the most powerful...

Bar none...this is good.

Y-

Last edited by yasnevo; 10-20-2007 at 13:56.
yasnevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56   #85
Novice Snowflake
BANNED USER

Excellent thread, these posts have taught alots and made me really look at myself.

To be the best of the best, the small things do add up real quick.
Novice Snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:15   #86
sofmed
Guerrilla

Thumbs up Outstanding thread!

It is an amazing thing, this thread. Many of the topics/opinions/insights, etc. are some of the very things I am teaching my 4 sons about living life.

In the midst of all the wisdom being shared I must say that I am reminded of what then Liuetenant Colonel Hal Moore said about being a soldier and a father:

"I hope that being good at the one helps me be better at the other."

They most definitely cross over. Having three teenagers (and another lagging not far behind --all boys) makes me hope that I'm being the best father I can, as well as the best soldier and NCO possible. People are watching on both sides of the fence, at all times. And even when they aren't it's up to me to do the right thing, regardless of the circumstances.

I thank all of the Quiet Professionals here who are so willing to share, teaching and mentoring by example. Priceless wisdom indeed.

Mick

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Last edited by sofmed; 12-10-2007 at 02:27.
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:48   #87
mdb23
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
The best SF soldiers I ever knew wore their uniforms with pride. You could hear the starch popping from down the block and shave in the shine on their boots. If they were ever told they needed a haircut, it was when they were already on their way to the barber shop.

Looking like a rag bag isn't cool because its different. Its the mark of a sloppy amateur.

That is a Quiet Professional.
This is great advice fpr those in the LE community as well. If you look at the studies conducted on offenders who had assaulted Officers, the offenders stated that their main factors when determining whether or not to "take on" the LEO were appearance based....... Was his uniform ironed and well maintained, was his leather gear polished, did he look like he was in shape, were his boots shined, what was his demeanor, etc......

If you look like an individual who takes his chosen profession seriously, then people will treat you as such.

Unfortunately, this theory is lost on a large segment of those in my careerfield. Their boots are only shined on inspection days, their uniforms look slept in and have yesterday's lunch on the front, and their leather gear has faded from black to brown. It's ridiculous.

I always made sure that my uniform was pressed with sharp creases, that my boots were highly shined, and that my leather gear was well maintained. I have kept myself in shape like my life depends on it, because it does, and thugs on the street can see that. I never got messed with the way that some of the "Joey Bag O' Doughnuts" cops did, and in my opinion it was based on the way that I presented myself. I never treid to talk ghetto slang to suspects, maintained a professional manner, and kept the boundaries clear.

Was I tested? Sure. But not to the extent that some of the overweight, wrinkled shirt wearing cops were.

Great thread, great advice for people in any number of careers. Great read.
mdb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:27   #88
Ryval
Asset

Thank you all for this thread. As mdb23 stated, the information here is golden to L.E. as well.

I am putting together a 'Warrior Mindset' course for recuits and I teach an Active Shooter course. Requesting permission to use some quotes from this thread in my courses?

"The will to win compares nothing with the will to prepare to win."
Ryval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52   #89
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryval View Post
Thank you all for this thread. As mdb23 stated, the information here is golden to L.E. as well.

I am putting together a 'Warrior Mindset' course for recuits and I teach an Active Shooter course. Requesting permission to use some quotes from this thread in my courses?
As long as you quote the source have at it.

TS
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06   #90
Ryval
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
As long as you quote the source have at it.

TS
Copy, Team Sergeant. Thank You.

"The will to win compares nothing with the will to prepare to win."
Ryval is offline   Reply With Quote