Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 09-03-2009, 15:09   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Briefback Contest!!!

Time to stir things up in this forum. Post your best work story in this thread. Winner gets a nice NRA t-shirt and maybe something else if the winning story is particularly good. There will be a panel of judges put together later. You don't have to be a QP to post a story, but it had better be really good if you're a civilian. Only one entry per member, please.

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 09-03-2009 at 15:12.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:27   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Not one reply? WTF, over.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

I'm still thinking...

I'm still thinking on if I should post it or not.

The individual was on my team and is still living.

It was one of those "You had to be there" stories in Briefback History - and it was in a Briefback.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43   #4
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Not one reply? WTF, over.
Okay R.L.,

I'll put one I put up awhile ago.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ght=leatherman

Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

...we did not have an 18b to do the weapons portion of the briefback. So ouor "extra" 18e did the weapons portion (not much to do, basic load, order of march etc etc... nothing that required anything more than basic tactical competence. It was also well known that the boss was known to ask the briefer questions about other MOS's to make sure everyone knew the "plan"

...as we all finished, the boss looked around and decided he wanted to "test" us. (actually the question was nothing short of petty 'trouble shooting' meant to show that he knew how to ask technical questions). So he fingered the guy that briefed the weapons portion and asked him a ridiculously technical commo question... all the while wearing a smug "I got you now" smirk...

...so our 'acting 18b' launched into a technical solution that would have given Bill Gates a migraine headache. The CSM knew the deal and just smiled and looked at the floor, the boss had NO IDEA who he was talking to and proceeded to show us how far open he could hold his mouth in disbelief.

...he didnt ask anymore questions either.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:32   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

OK...

Our team was nearing the end of a long isolation. Every member knew the plan forwards and backwards. Could rattle all the PACE plans of at the drop of the hat. Snap a pointer on the map and everybody could recite exactly what should be taking place and when.

Ran through the last practice - perfect.

The Boss was known to ask nit-noy questions after the briefback trying to trip members up on their answers. I told the guys "If it was not something covered in the briefback and you can't think of an answer just give any answer, I don't care what it is even if it's "bayonet 'um", we'll back you up."

The Briefback ran without a hitch, perfect, no problems. The Boss taps his pen on his notes, clears his throat and with his first question says to our senior commo "SSG P, what are you going to do with prisoners?"

I'm like "Wow, a softball lob right off the bat" and turn to look at the senior commo......... just in time to see the toilet flush, his face went slack, eyes got a little bigger, mouth flopped a couple of times and then "Bayonet them, Sir!"

The Boss sat back in his seat with a shocked look on his face, the CSM's eyes were rolling around on the ceiling and his hand was over his mouth, all the staff had their faces down looking at the floor and their shoulders were shaking and the AST's eyes were screwed shut.

I jumped in with "Of course Sir, we all know that.........."

The CO's heart just wasn't in the next few questions and he quickly turned it over to the staff which did the "No questions, No questions, No questions", it was over and they walked out.

As soon as the door closed we all said "You idiot" and he was "I knew what the answer was but as soon as he asked it my mind went blank and the only thing I could remember was you saying "bayonet 'um"."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:55   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Pete's story qualifies for extra stuff. I will be impressed if someone does better!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:57   #8
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Didn't mean to leave the Sky God out -- that was good too. Looking forward to more!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:45   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Planning for a recon mission on an airfield in Central America.

My TS and I did the initial planning. We had a bunch of criteria to follow. Two man rule, one team at the time on the OBJ, remainder in the RON, change the RON location every 48 hours, etc., etc. We were up until about 0300 working out all of the moving parts. Finally, we had a (very complicated) plan that met all of the criteria. Lots of movement.

Got up with the team at 0600, PT, chow. Then we briefed the team. 18F asks why we don't just move A to B, and B to C, cut out about 75% of the moves. TS and I look at it to try and figure out why it would not work. It did. Perfect plan. Why didn't we think of that?

Prep for the briefback. Build sand table. Used colored Magic Marker caps to indicate different locations. Running late, no time to double check. Battalion Commander, juggling his Group coins in his hand as we brief back. Walk to the sand table to brief the movement. We explain what the red, green, blue, and yellow caps are. Battalion Commander asks, "What is the black cap for? I look at the TS and he looks at me. No idea. Finally the Junior 18E looks over my shoulder and goes, "That's where that went, been looking all over for it." Snaps in onto the marker he has in his hand.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 13:19   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This one will not make a lot of sense unless you have actually sat through a briefback and have a working knowledge of '60s television.

Battalion Commander is taking the briefback for a team from our company.

All questions are held till the end of the brief.

Lots of lines and graphics on the one over the world air graphic map. Battalion Commander is studying it during the briefback.

Gets to the question period. BC lets everyone else go first, then he starts. Finishes up with, "CPT W, I only have one more question. I am familiar with most of the markings on the map, the FLOT, the FEBA, PZs, LZs, the PONR. One that I am afraid I am unfamiliar with is the RNZ. Could you explain what that is?"

Detachment Commander says, cool as ice, "Well, Sir, that is the Romulan Neutral Zone. If we cross that, there is going to be big trouble."

Company Commander puts his head in his hands. Everyone else starts staring at the ceiling or the floor. The room is dead quiet. BC stares at the Detachment Commander for a few seconds, and then starts laughing. The staff joins in. Team gets selected for the mission, but the Team Leader gets to visit with the Company Commander first.

Very funny to watch, maybe not to be involved in.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 14:48   #11
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

A bunch of big wigs came to sit in on one of the Students brief backs at SOT School. It was their final FTX Hit. During the Breachers portion. The Breacher explained how they would resort to the Hoolie/Halogen Tools if the explosive breach failed.
Of course none of them knew what a Halogen tool was. After the brief we hear the General tell one of his Aids "I want all the information you can find on this Halogen/Hoolie tool thing on my desk in the morning. He obviously thought it was some type of high speed Breaching gadget.
I would of liked to seen the response when he was shown a simple Fire Fighters tool in the morning.
Old 09-06-2009, 15:49   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

REFORGER - ISOFAC RAF Sculthorpe, UK - SADM Team Pre-MSN PREP for an Infil into the Schwarzwald.

We were usually short a team member or two and nearly always needed to request a filler. Having gotten tired of it all and seeking a little comic relief, we decided to mess with the BN CDR (LTC Snort), BN CSM (Preacher), and S1 (a candy stripe paper pushing weenie who was always trying to sharpshoot the Teams with his knowledge of ARs and forms).

When questioned by the S1 about personnel, we indicated our need for a 12B (one was TDY to school) and a 96Q (Ninety-Six Kaybeck). The S1 just nodded as he didn't know what a 96Q was and didn't want the colonel to know it - but the BN CDR bit and asked, "What's a Ninety-Six Kaybeck?"

The straight-faced response from our TM SGT - "It's a damn small unit queer, sir. This looks to be a one-way mission, the Army won't allow us to take any women along with us, and we sure as hell can't mingle with the natives 'cause they don't have the proper clearances. And sir, can we get an extra chubby one in case we don't get resupplied and have to resort to cannibalism? I've never seen a Team who can eat as much as these guys."

Silence - everyone looking around the room to see how anyone else was going to react - until the BN CDR finally stated that he thought that just about covered it for the briefback and gave us the 'GO'. After everyone had left, we laughed about it all and the Team was in one of the best moods I ever experienced prior to an infil.

Repercussions - minor ones it turned out - came later.

FWIW - the mission went well, too, and we succeeded where 2 ODAs from the 10th, 1 ODA from the 5th, and 1 SEAL Team from NAVSPECWARGRUTWO had failed.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 21:39   #13
rltipton

I was on 361 back in the 90's, so some of the 3rd Groupers will remember a detachment commander we had for a little while, "JD". He had quite the reputation for doing retarded things and he began the first time he walked in the team room an announced, "Howdy shipmates, I'm the new boss."

I hate to bash him because he was a nice guy, he was not a dumbass, although he did some of the stupidest shit I ever saw...he was just way out of his element being a soldier, much less an SF guy. Zero situational awareness...

These are just a couple of work stories about that clown.

JD incident #1: A week after JD signed in Kensinger held that famous group in-ranks dress greens inspection (1994?) that took a couple of hours. The new captain was late...VERY late. Kensinger was inspecting 355 (next was 356 then us for inspection) when JD runs up to the formation and bumps the Team Sergeant breathing hard.

I hear people behind us snickering, then a I hear this deep growl from Perry telling him to get his sorry ass inside the team room and don't go anywhere and that he better be running.

About the time Kensinger finished up with 356 and was rolling around the turn to inspect 361 JD was just scooting inside the company front door with 2/3 of the battalion in stitches.

I don't know if Kensinger saw his green jungle boots or not, but everybody else did.

JD incident #2: We are in Antigua for our annual MAROPS train-up/certification and it's JD's first time out with the boys. We were launching off Zodiacs 10k out then swimming back in on a budline for one of our certification tasks. We went over safety before we loaded the Zods...nobody had any questions, so we launch. JD said he had done it all in the National Guard....

I got paired off with the new captain at the #3 position on the budline. Tm Sgt tells 1's to go and they jump off the boat, 2's go (Tm Sgt). I wait a few seconds and tell JD to go and we both jump in.

I see the other 4 guys when I come up but no JD. Thank goodness for him that water is clear. I look down and there is JD looking at me from about 5 feet below the surface with his eyes as big as pie plates blowing bubbles out like an idiot probably yelling "HELP!" or something.

I ditched my gear and got to him at about 10 feet down and he almost drowned me and the safety swimmer pulling him up to the boat.

First, he was asked why he did not pop his CO2. It seemed he popped it the day before on the water jump so his harness wouldn't sink and forgot to get a new one.

Next he was asked why his gear was so heavy. He had a bright idea in concept, but the execution could not have been worse. He was out sight-seeing and missed the classes for waterproofing his shit and he missed how to make his gear neutral buoyant. He figured he would double up a trash bag and fill it with cinder blocks (I mean FILL it) and tie it off.

JD's logic:

Cinder blocks = weight = pull down
+
Air in trash bag tied off = balloon = float
=
Neutral buoyant

Then he was asked why he didn't just ditch his gear...it was all tied to him with square knots.

It was a damn good thing it was not a night swim or he may not have made it home from that one. He was bound to his gear and he was going down with it.

I'm just glad we never had to go to combat with that guy.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:59   #14
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Another Just Cause Story

I posted this link in the Base Camp, but I think it qualifies here too. The start of this story starts with the guns for money program we ran during the Just Cause/Promote Liberty times. A Colombian poacher comes up to our cuartel where folks are turning in antique guns for cash. He asks how much can he get for a whole plane. The rest is history at this link. Regards

http://www.google.soesterbergwolfhou...gle+jewel.html
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03   #15
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

LOL, keep 'em coming gents!