Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 04-06-2004, 22:30   #16
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Terry:

Took this one for you a couple of weeks ago.

TR
NICE!

Thanks, TR.

Terry
Old 04-07-2004, 04:37   #17
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Now I should give you a picture of our client. Very nice lady who pays our bills on time and all, but probably one of the most unreasonable and difficult people anyone has ever had to deal with. She is about 4'10" and fat with closely cropped, bright red hair. We privately call her the bowling ball.
And the moral of the story: watch out for little old ladies. LOL
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:07   #18
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Good story Counselor.... I liked it.

I too would enjoy reading a new tale from some of you ADMIN/MOD's. I can't contribute any funny or interesting stories myself ( we have all seen how that worked out for RL, ZZZZzzzzz LOL), but I will contribute by creating new medical forum threads in the future. Oh yeah, I will continue my only real value on AProfSoldier by being a smartass to increase humor by hijacking everyone elses threads too. LOL

RL, your client sounds familiar. Red head, short, fiery, won't take no for an answer....did your client look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg annie.jpg (18.0 KB, 117 views)
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42   #19
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Great story! I remember a teacher EXACTLY like her. Apparently there's a disease in this country that results in most female teachers being short, overweight, and flatulent.

I live in the UK, to be clear.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:37   #20
Roycroft201

Whoa !! I CANNOT believe what you just wrote, Solid !! And I don't care what country you live in !! (I also studied at the University of Bath ). Those are fighting words, young man, a horrendous generalization: rude, disrespectful, an uncalled for smear of an honorable profession and the PROFESSIONALs therein, and I might add, the only reason you have the skills to READ and WRITE on this board are because of some teacher !!

I see red everytime some small minded individual uses generalizations about ANY group, disparagingly without valid cause.

And to think I USED to ENJOY reading some of your posts.

Bad move, Solid. Very, very bad move.

Roycroft201 - a TEACHER
( and it doesn't matter what my geographical location is !!)
Old 04-07-2004, 13:06   #21
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I said most, and therefore avoided generalisation. Clearly, furthermore, I was referring to teachers who I have had contact with, further limiting the number of teachers I defamed.

Also, I never said that I don't appreciate those teachers.
Why are you placing so much weight on the looks of an individual? The worth of teachers is measured not in their physical appearance, but in their ability to teach. Not one of the teachers I mentioned failed to teach me- in fact, those teachers (save one) were some of the best teachers I have ever had.

It's interesting, however, that you equate a lack of height, obesity, and flatulence (that wasn't a joke) with disrespect, thereby implying that individuals with such physical characteristics are somehow inferior.

Debate aside, I retract my previous statement. It was unfair, as it could be seen as an attack at all female teachers in the UK rather than a commentary on the physical characteristics of a select group which I have had contact with.

Solid
Old 04-07-2004, 13:35   #22
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

To hijack this before it gets attention from the higher ups for taking a personal twist. Let me attempt to add a little humor.

Inhale everyone....deep breaths. I found the admission pic to the hospital for Solid after RC201's last post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solid.jpg (67.0 KB, 198 views)
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 13:39   #23
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Sacamuelas: Shouldn't I be speaking in a [high-pitched] British accent?

Roycroft- To be clear, I didn't intend to insult you in either of those posts. In the second, I merely wanted to engage in debate. If I have genuinely offended you, I apologise. My comments were not intended to insult.

Thank you,

Solid
Old 04-07-2004, 13:58   #24
Roycroft201

LOL, Sacamuelas ! Great pic.

And no, I wouldn't take this discussion any further. I would never get into the 'mud wrestling' that goes on in other sites, as I'm sure you know.

I think I have been reading SOCNET for so long that, as a 'senior' member of my profession, I am now beginning to react to perceived disrespectful remarks in the same way that a BTDT reacts in his profession.

Humor is good for us all. Keep it coming !

Roycroft201
Old 04-07-2004, 14:06   #25
Roycroft201

Solid,

Apology accepted.

Had you wished to engage in debate, this would not have been the place for it.

RC201
Old 04-07-2004, 14:08   #26
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Agreed.

Solid
Old 04-08-2004, 01:49   #27
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
in most female teachers being short, overweight, and flatulent.
Now you're in dutch. I don't care if you did say sorry. I'm a 4F and even though you might not know what that means I'll give you a general idea. It means I'm cranky most of the time.

RL - that was the best story you could come up with? I know a two or three as good as that and I'm a plain old housewife.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:21   #28
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by CRad
RL - that was the best story you could come up with? I know a two or three as good as that and I'm a plain old housewife.
Ouch! Hey, I never said I had good stories to tell! And when TR says jump, I have to at least do my best if not ask how high.

For you, CRad, I will try again. But don't get your hopes up, because I'm terrible at cocktail parties.

OK, I represent banks for a living. Sometimes can be a tough job.

When a young lawyer starts practicing, no client is going to stand for you arguing a big, important motion, so you have to get your experience in small cases. I was fortunate enough as a young lawyer to get some small cases in which I could get meaningful experience.

One of these cases was a frivolous wrongful foreclosure action. Basically, the plaintiffs failed to make their mortgage payments on time, and the bank foreclosed and took their home as it had the contractual right to do. The plaintiffs sued the bank, asserting that the bank acted unlawfully in foreclosing. They did not have a lawyer and were representing themselves.

So I'm taking the wife's deposition. She's an Israeli, and she insists on having a Hebrew interpreter even though she could speak perfectly good English and understood everything I was saying. We see this alot in this type of case -- she testifies in English most of the time and constantly corrects the translator's interpretation of my questions.

Anyway, one defense we had to some of their claims was that they didn't have the financial capacity to make the mortgage payments. (Thus, even if the bank made mistakes in serving notices and things, it wouldn't matter because they couldn't have paid anyway.) So I spent some time early in the deposition asking about their income, assets, etc.

Now the whole time, the husband is sitting there trying to defend the deposition like he's a lawyer, using a practice guide he had acquired. This is against the rules, but I just let it go because I didn't care. He's objecting to lots of my questions, and I'm having to explain to him why I'm allowed to ask about their financial condition.

So later in the deposition, the wife tells me that she has something to add to her prior answers: that they could have made the payments because they supposedly own this incredibly valuable art collection.

So I spend about 45 minutes asking about the art collection. Each piece, what its called, who's the artist, when and how did they acquire it, etc. The story is that they bought the stuff really cheap at a garage sale and later discovered that some of the pieces were by famous artists and were worth big bucks.

So when I'm done tying all of this stuff down, I pull out copies of their filings in their recent bankruptcy -- filed after the art supposedly was acquired and after they supposedly learned how valuable it was. When you file for bankruptcy, you have to disclose to the Trustee in writing all of your assets so the Trustee can use them to pay creditors. All under penalty of perjury among other things. And, of course, the artwork was not disclosed on the schedules, and I wanted to understand why.

And this is where things got interesting. The wife launches into literally a 30-minute speech on the record, principally attacking me for questioning her integrity. The husband jumps in several times with remarks like, "You're an asshole. You're a plain, flaming asshole for saying what you said." (Taken verbatim from the transcript) And she adds things like, "You ruined my life, and I never forgive you. Never. This has to be on newspaper, I'm telling you. It's -- I wish you -- I wish you -- what your bank did to me, I wish on you."

Finally we break for lunch. Before the deposition started, the court reporter tells me that the day before she had transcribed the weirdest deposition of her career. The plaintiff was a man who had a partial sex change so he was female on top and male on bottom, and he was suing the City of San Francisco seeking the right to use public ladies' rooms.

After the plaintiffs in my case walked out, she tells me, "that was even better than yesterday."

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 12-02-2004 at 18:01.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58   #29
CRad
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

Ok, that was a good story. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:38   #30
Sigi
BANNED USER

Classic story RL. Thanks.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote