Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 02-08-2007, 16:01   #46
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

I came across this thread a couple of months too late. But, better late than never. That was a damn good year we spent together, Firebeef.
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39   #47
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

lots of good memories Abu!! I'm glad you ragged my 4th point of contact, too! you were the "ol" wpns Sgt...remember??? lol

tactical shmacktical.... i still use that today.lol

except for the birth of my kids, my fondest memories! when are you out of Florida??
Tom is goin to school in Eglin, he'll be there from April until October

ROAD TRIP!!!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 23:00   #48
bluebb
Quiet Professional

1st Year in Oki

All my buddies from the Q course took a couple of weeks leave before reporting to Oki. I went straight there and the B Co. SGM asked me weather I want to go to the PI or Australia for my first deployment. I chose Australia and got to work with the SAS for a month on a recce concentration as they called it. Awesome training and a lot of rucking through some great terrain in the southwest of the land of OZ. And kangaroo taste great.

Next deployment to the PI to work FID with a Philippine Infantry BN. who would deploy afterward to hunt down memebers of the communist New Peoples Army. I was chopped to the B team and handled all the resupply for 6 split teams and 12 platoons. Got to put the Engineers skills to use, wrangled PI Hueys and USAF Jolly Greens for all my resupply runs out to the teams. I think we set a record on one exfil, we got 10 americans ( 3 crew and 7 SF) and 19 Fils in a Golly Green and had to roll down the hill to take off. Pilot was a Viet Nam rescue vet and said he never had so many troops in before.

We next went all the way from Oki to Cherry Point NC to isolate for a UW exercise in Ocala National Park in Florida. The team was really tested as our Team leader resigned from the army 2 days into isolation. Worked with some Arty guys from Ft. Stewart who were our Gs and I relized how little I missed the regular army. On exfil we got spot lighted by some pouchers, NODs at night and head lights dont mix.

Back to the PI to train another Infantry Bn., this time I taught basic movement techniques, first aid and such to a platoon each day. Had one tree in my area and by the end of my 12 days had worn a rut around the tree following the shade. I don't know about South and Central America or Africa but I bet that Ft Magsaysay in the PI is the hottest place on earth. On a sad note Col. Rowe was killed in Manila while we were there.

Was invited to fill out a team going to Smoke Jumper school in Montana, I hate jumping but I could not turn the training down. Great school, great terrain, and scary trees. I hope we are still letting teams go.

Switched from B Co. to C Co. and deployed right to Hong Kong to work first with the Brits and Gurkhas on another recce concentraion and the with the HKPD SDU unit and some Kiwi SAS. The Brits were great but the Gurkhas were beyond compare, these guys are the hardest working hardest partying most outstanding troops I have ever seen or worked with. Little guys half my size were carrying same weight as me and kicking butt. I learned how to cook in a hide site and sleep on the side of a mountian using my ruck and some 550 cord to make a sleeping seat. If you ever get a chance to work with real Gurkhas take it.
Worked with the HKPD Special duty unit on CQB. Full spectrum CQB apartments, houses, cruise ships, tankers, 747 and vehicle ambushes. Great training.

The last deployment was a real world deployment back to the PI for a coup. It was actually a little past my first year but every story should end with a real world deployment We rolled out of Oki and were ready for whatever mission assigned to us. We rehearsed for a couple of diffrent things but never launched.

I was able to work with some great team guys and some great allies. I was handed a ton of responsablity for a 25 year old SSG and I was free to do things my way. My Team SGT. trusted me and I made sure I did the right things. The old timers on the team (Cabin Beach guys) kept me going in the right direction and I valued their advice. I was lucky also in that all of my SGMs were combat proven vets.

I really had a great first year and the rest were even better.

Blue

NOUS DEFIONS

Last edited by bluebb; 02-21-2007 at 23:05.
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:52   #49
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Grab your gear..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc22584
To all the QP's out there i ask you to reflect back to the years when you were the FNG on the team.

Thanks
doc22584,

You will have 11 other team members engaged in sizing you up; as stated in an earlier post, you only have one chance to make a first impression. Do yourself a favor and realize you don't know a damn thing and keep your mouth shut.

Unlike me, who drank from the firehose my first months on a team while the country wasn't at war (I do not count multiple "advisory" tours in El Sal). You will have to learn each and every other team member's job.

If you're not an 18B: you must learn how to emplace and crew heavy weapons and mortars, tactics, moving as a fire team member, etc, etc.

If you're not an 18C: you have to be able to do the calculations, set up line/ring mains, electric/non-electric, S-4 functions, etc, etc.

If you're not an 18D: you have to be able to stop bleeding, perform chest decompression, and keep your head when someone is screaming "God help me" in your face, etc, etc.

If you're not an 18E: you have to be able to assemble and place into operation all of the numerous radio systems on the team, emergency encrpytion, duties too numerous to list here, etc, etc.

I'll forgo 18A, 180A, 18F and especially 18Z duties here; I pray these will not even be an issue for you so early in your SF career.

I have a hundred stories, some horror, some funny - but I had one thing you won't have when you walk into your first team room - time. I also learned a hell of a lot more from my mistakes than my successes. I'm afraid you may not have that luxuary either.

War is a series of mistakes, he who makes the least, wins.

I wish you the best, I have no doubt you'll carry on the SF tradition well.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:50   #50
MFFI115
Quiet Professional

1st Year?

I don't know, they kept me in a wall locker the first year!!!

Actually, from Training Group I went straight to CCS were I was in Recon Co and 1st Expoloitation Co, then Recon at CCC, so my experience was a bit different. All the "old timers", One-zeros and such, were pretty young, some younger than me, as I joined the army at a later age. Many of them had only 3-6 months longer in country than me. Now, we did have some real old soldiers like SGM Billy Waugh, MSG "Pop" Taylor, 1st SGT Joe Brock, SFC Floyd Rettman, SGM Matamoros and a few others. Except for Billy and "Pop", and my apologies to anyone I forgot, we learned from our fellow youngsters.

The rest of the old soldiers were either in the staff or security platoon. At that time I viewed them with disdain. Hindsight and the advantage of many years under my belt has taught me tolerance. I got there in May of '69 and some will say the war was "winding down". Many of the old soldiers "hiding" in security platoon, etc. were on their 3rd, 4th and more tours and I think deserved to spend some time in an easy job.

Any way that's my 1st year on a "team" experience; 1-1 and 1-2 in recon Co and Sgd Ldr/Plt Sgt in 1st Exploitation Co. Running Recon and Hatchet Forces as an SF newbie doesn't truly prepare one to be an A-Team member. I'll probably get some grief from some of my old SOG buddies for that comment! After a year and a half in country I went to the 46th CO in Thailand and finally got to my first real A-Team as the Intel Sgt on A-14 of B-4?. Uh-oh, can't remember the B team number. Yes, we had A, B, and C Teams then. We converted to companies and battalions in April '71.

I will add that I don't recall a whole lot of mentoring once I get to A-14. I think the unspoken philosophy was that you signed up, you showed up, got your stripes fast, now perform. Besides, you just spent a year and a half in combat. I think that may hae been a collective attitude amongst the older guys to us younger guys. Although the term didn't exist then, we were SF Babies. We were the first large group of SF volunteers that entered with reduced entrance requirements of age and time in service since the first call up for SF.

Last edited by MFFI115; 03-01-2007 at 10:06.
MFFI115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 15:14   #51
MHaselton
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebb
Worked with the HKPD Special duty unit on CQB. Full spectrum CQB apartments, houses, cruise ships, tankers, 747 and vehicle ambushes. Great training.

The last deployment was a real world deployment back to the PI for a coup. It was actually a little past my first year but every story should end with a real world deployment We rolled out of Oki and were ready for whatever mission assigned to us. We rehearsed for a couple of diffrent things but never launched.

Blue
Not to mention planning a dynamic breach during an exercise with the hope that the steel door would cut the second floor stringers dropping "Bobcat 6" into Chief's live fire. Remember that one? And the "I'm not that impressed. I used to do the same thing with 38 paratroopers and a chainsaw for the door."
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." [T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom ]
MHaselton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 13:13   #52
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Deanwells writes,
"Know you SA. Keep your mouth closed and your ears open. Know your job, not just the things you learn in the school house, but also the things you won't learn unless you ask questions and use the search button on your internet explorer.

Oh YEAH and one more thing,
The experienced guys do not care about your Q course stories unless they ask you directly."

Great advice IMO. The Teams are filled with 2 types of QP's these days. Those who have something to teach, and those who need to STFU and learn.
After 8 years team time, I still consider myself in the second group. As a new graduate, you better KNOW you are too.

You will be judged by your performance, and by your actions. No one cares what you have to say, yet. No one will even listen to you for 2 years unless you save their lives, or have a hot sister.

Post pictures of your sister if you feel you qualify,,,, We'll be honest.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 18:39   #53
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

First week on the Team I was told I would be going to Language school in a month. Being young and dumb I was not happy with going right back into school for six months. Of course after the first deployment I realized how lucky I was to speak the language. Guys that couldn't speak Spanish were pretty much along for the ride on those deployments.
Back to not wanting to go to School. Word came out that try outs to work with the SAS for a year were being held by Group. The Team was split up in ten different directions when I arrived. Just the TS and three others. TS gave me permission to give it a shot, like me, he didn't think I had a chance but it would keep me busy. So I decided to give it a shot.
Only six people showed up to try out. It consisted of a 12 Mile Ruck, PT Test, Swim Test and Interview Board, all in one day. Myself and one Officer had the best scores. I went to the interview and my TS was on the Board. He didn't know this when he told me to try out. After the Board I went back to the Team Room to wait.
The TS told me I was going to England hands down. But they disqualified me because I was single. Apparently you need to be married to go on this assignment. TS told me and I later confirmed it, that they were discussing who to pick. They decided on a Captain and me. SGM asked my Team SGT how many kids I had. He replied "Hell, he's not even married SGM" Next candidate please.
It all worked out. Team was filled up quick and ended up being the strongest team in the company. But I always wonder...... That TS never let me live that down, Best Team Sergeant I ever had but I was so happy when he retired.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47   #54
bluebb
Quiet Professional

SAS exchange

Quote:
SGM asked my Team SGT how many kids I had. He replied "Hell, he's not even married SGM" Next candidate please.
1st Grp does an exchange with the Australian SAS and I gave it a shot. They wanted married guys for this slot for some reason. SGM sees me in the back of the room and says "Blue I know you are not married" to which I reply "I can be in less than a week, let me dig up some of my contacts in the PI."
Needless to say I didn't get the slot.

Blue

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 15:58   #55
deanwells
Quiet Professional

Quote:
SGM sees me in the back of the room and says "Blue I know you are not married" to which I reply "I can be in less than a week, let me dig up some of my contacts in the PI."

Blue
LMAO.....Those contacts wouldn't happen to be around Clark would they?? You still have to be married and experienced to get the shot.
Old 04-17-2007, 17:31   #56
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
1st Grp does an exchange with the Australian SAS and I gave it a shot. They wanted married guys for this slot for some reason. SGM sees me in the back of the room and says "Blue I know you are not married" to which I reply "I can be in less than a week, let me dig up some of my contacts in the PI."
Needless to say I didn't get the slot.

Blue
The assignment was passed around between Groups. Mine was for the British SAS. They exchange with the Australian SAS also. It was a one year assignment. The one I tried out for was sprung on 7th Group at the last minute. One Officer and one Enlisted person were needed. They were told to Sh#@t two people by the next day.
I think that is how I almost slipped in. No one seemed to care that I had less then two weeks in Group. Someone above Group level probably would of stopped me from going, if they noticed that. Or a friend of a friend would of taken my slot. I only met one person who actually did it. They loved it. But the reason for having to be married. Apparently there are a lot of formal functions to attend. Also a Rumor about the last single guy who went was sleeping around a lot. How could you possibly represent SF without partying all night and sleeping with any woman who has a pulse, it's beyond me
Old 05-02-2007, 17:14   #57
MFFI115
Quiet Professional

[

Blue,

As I recall, while you guys were in hangars, rehearsing and being screwed with by the BN CSM, the C CO XO and I, your old C CO SGM, were "stuck" in Bangkok planning the next company trip there. Life sure sucked!!!

Carl
MFFI115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 19:54   #58
Daver
Quiet Professional

Korea..Korea..Uh, Korea!

I went to Korea within a week of arriving...and back to Bragg for the original certification..what fun there, then back to Korea, and Mount Rainier, and Smith Rocks, Oregon to climb, and back to Mount Rainier, and Pikes Peak...then to Alaska..back to Korea from Alaska...I was on a mountain team BTW! I jumped HALO with the HALO team and that made people mad..and we shot blow darts down the hallway at guys from other teams!

I also got to sit on the C-141 on Hickam for 4 hours guarding weapons during my 1st Korea trip..the FNG rite of passage! Oh yeah, after we left Hickam, we flew to Guam...I did such a good job guarding those weapons in Hawaii that I was personally asked by the Bn Cdr to guard them again in Guam. Every time the rest of the guys came back to the plane, they were clean shaven, smelled nice, and had food from the terminal...also by the time they came back, the next flight crew was in place and we cranked up and left again! I never saw the terminal from any closer than about 200 meters! I noticed how smelly I was when we finally arrived in Osan...as smelly as Osan actually! That same combination occurred on the way home a month later except they had another FNG guard the weapons with me! I passed the test, the next time we went to korea, I was invited to see the terminal this time and actually get chow and take a shower! Guam is really nice when you can actually see it from something other then the jump door window of a C-141.

Great memories....I wouldn't trade them for anything!!!

Last edited by Daver; 05-02-2007 at 20:07.
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20   #59
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Frist Year

I was assigned to 1st group. Processed in and was assigned to Co B team 223, This was in the days of 'A', 'B', and 'C' teams ( no Battalions ). I comment on the fisrt year on an A-tm is that it is really Phase 4. I had graduated Phase 1, phase 2, and phase 3 at Ft Bragg and then to Phase 4. First year is learning, learning, Learning. At the time of my assignment to 1st group the teams had been modified to accommodate personnel shortages. The teams were reduced to 10 man teams. One Engineer was removed and one weapons man was removed. As I was the teams only engineer, a cherry, and without mentor, my first year was me taking many notes. I had three Team Sgts, The first one was ROAD and wouldn't do any thing. The second was a "good ole boy". He wasn't bad would do anything necessary to develop Team work.was a big time old style drinker. He was fun to be around and took good care of the team. My third Tm Sgt was magnificent He new the business and he new how to get to most from us. My first class to the team was not good. it was a basic demo class I thought I didn't have to prepare must and it showed. At the end of the class as the team was leaving the team room, the Tm Sgt stepped in front of me and ask if I thought I had given the team my best. I knew I had not. and he just said "You will never give a class to your team members that is less than your best.". Not a major ass chewing but more than enough to let me know I was now in real life. He spurred me on to being a very good demo/engineer team member. His professional, quiet insistence on perfection, made me a much better soldier. I always have fond memories of Msg Walter McBroom. The man provided anexample that I tried to live up to and pass on to all my fellow soldiers on all following teams I was one. Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:40   #60
Guy
Quiet Professional

I was way too busy trying not to piss off my "Team Sergeant" MSG Tommy Batchelor...

My only saving grace was that; I'd piss off SGM Horne constantly and Tommy loved me for that...LMAO!

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote