Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 04-20-2006, 07:18   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Iran military claims has developed “flying boat”

Seems that the News missed this one.

Quote:
Tehran, Iran, Apr. 04 – Iran put on display its first ever “flying boat” during military manoeuvres in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman.

State television showed images of the vessel flying at low altitude and moving on water.

The vessel appeared to be a more-advanced military version of the common seaplane.

A spokesperson for the war-games currently taking place by the Revolutionary Guards’ navy announced that the “flying boat” was highly capable and had successfully carried out its mission.

The television report said that the vessel could evade sea and air radar detection because of its advanced design.

The vessel has a high speed of more than 100 knots per hour and can lift in water, the report said, adding that it could fire at targets with great accuracy while in motion.

The unnamed “flying boat” was designed by Iran’s Ministry of Defence, the report added.
Wonder what more is out there?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23   #2
Spartan359
Guerrilla

Quote:
adding that it could fire at targets with great accuracy while in motion.
Meaning it couldn't hit shit.

-Isaiah 6:8
Spartan359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:31   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan359
Meaning it couldn't hit shit.
No news out put would also lead me to believe that this "thing" can't do what Iran wants the world to think they can produce.

Lets take a RC HELO (UFO) and show it on Iran National news; Magic we have a "flying ship".

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38   #4
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
...adding that it could fire at targets with great accuracy while in motion
Well that's a quantum leap forward for Iran! With the last generation of Iranian aircraft, the pilot had to land and plant the bomb by hand or engage targets with his pistol... this'll save a whole lot of time!

This thing actually looks a lot like a wing-effect aircraft. There's no way it has any kind of stealth capacity with that big mast, prop disk, exposed engine, and all of those straight lines and right-angles.
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:56   #5
rubberneck
Area Commander

Why do I get the feeling that these "flying ships" were built for one way trips? During WWII the Japanese built the MXY7 Ohka and the Germans the Selbstopfer as a low tech approach to building a guided cruise missile. I wonder if Iran has the same plans for these planes.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck
Why do I get the feeling that these "flying ships" were built for one way trips? During WWII the Japanese built the MXY7 Ohka and the Germans the Selbstopfer as a low tech approach to building a guided cruise missile. I wonder if Iran has the same plans for these planes.
I can just imagine the reaction of a USN combattant at the sight of one of these on a suicide run. Does anybody think they could stop laughing long enough to flip the switches on the R2D2s? Peregrino

BTW - Didn't the Russians develop (and abandon) a full sized version of this technology?
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18   #7
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

An aircraft with a top speed of 115MPH (100 knots) attacking anything in the US inventory (including Joe Snuffy SAW Gunner) is a one-way mission.
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:46   #8
dennisw
Area Commander

Whenever I hear folks from the middle east boasting of this or that my mind always goes back to the Iraqi spokesman that adamantly stated that the Americans Armed Forces were nowhere near the airport. Then the very next shot on the news is a picture of our guys in humvees etc. sitting at the airport. There seems to be a credibility gap, although I guess you never know.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37   #9
37F5V
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
I can just imagine the reaction of a USN combattant at the sight of one of these on a suicide run. Does anybody think they could stop laughing long enough to flip the switches on the R2D2s? Peregrino

BTW - Didn't the Russians develop (and abandon) a full sized version of this technology?
The Russians had a Ginormous version of one. I can't remember what it was called but it looked like a boat/Airliner hauling ass over the water.
Old 04-20-2006, 13:05   #10
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYRGR
The Russians had a Ginormous version of one. I can't remember what it was called but it looked like a boat/Airliner hauling ass over the water.
IIRC it worked great on calm seas, but had safety issues with any kind of rough water.
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 15:03   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Seems that the News missed this one.

Wonder what more is out there?
PBY, 1930s.

Spruce Goose, 1940s.

About as expected for progressive Islamic society.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote