Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 08-01-2011, 20:11   #16
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tress View Post
That rucksack wasn't that heavy. There were no radios in it.
Depends upon wether that thing was in the can or in that foam liner...in the can was heavy.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 20:52   #17
Tress
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by PRB:

Depends upon wether that thing was in the can or in that foam liner...in the can was heavy.
Only saw the foam liner version. I do not remember ever having seen the can version, but I can only guess that the can was metal and added to the weight.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard:

A kilometer would've been nice. We used to leave out of Neubiberg for the UK and then they'd drop us back in to mainland Europe - that seemed to confuse the hell out of the Air Farce...but we were the ones who always seemed to suffer most for their confusion.
I think you misunderstood. We missed the allegedly friendly non-NATO country by less than a kilometer. We landed just this side of the river. We missed the Alt DZ by 40 or so kilometers, IIRC. We were scattered all over God's green earth trying to find a soft place to land with only one guy breaking his femur. Gathering everyone back together, taking care of the wounded and then figuring out where the hell we were took most of the next day. The decision was made not to make commo until we were squared away. But with the DZ parties having never seen us and no commo from us for almost 18 hours certain people went ballistic and shut down most of the exercise looking for us. That was an interesting AAR/Hotwash.

Tress
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 22:33   #18
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Those were before the DADT days - don't know what would've happened today. Richard
You'd been asked out on a date.....

Otherwise,
During Desert Storm, after about 12 days in isolation (no kidding) followed by 48 hrs in the hole, the 4 man team had been compromised and subsequently ex-filled from the SR mission and returned to KKMC for debriefing. The atmosphere was tense; everybody was tired and smelly and anxious to get out of there when a serious looking LTC walks in. He gives us a quick breakdown on how the debriefing would commence and asks, "OK, who wants to start"?

We're all kinda sitting there waiting for someone to start; you could hear a pin drop. Suddenly, our medic stands up and very seriously looks around at all of us, then looks at the LTC, and says....

"A mushroom walks into the bar. Bartender sees him and says, "Hey You, we don't allow your type in here!!! Mushroom says, "Why not, I'm a fungi".........

It got real quiet for a very long minute.......until finally, the LTC started to bust a gut.

Best medic (and man) I ever worked with.....

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:40   #19
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Keep 'em coming fellas . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46   #20
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Richard, I don't know if you were there at the time or not but I was banned for life from the Lopburi NCO Club by SGM Paul D. I don't remember everything ( A couple of Singha's too many) but according to Levings, there was a USO show and one of the acts was a bad plate spinner. I decided it was enough so I got up on stage and lit off a mouthful of lighter fluid. The only problem was the SGM's table and girl friend were directly in the path of the flames and kinda caught fire...

And then there was the Dusit Zoo-Orangutan incident.

Last edited by mark46th; 08-13-2011 at 00:15.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:10   #21
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Looking for some more entries before picking the best ones for a poll . . .
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27   #22
Mgrayfox
Quiet Professional

Talking

I was assigned to ODA-8, B-3-7th in Panama in 1975 and had been lent out as a demo sgt to another team for one of LTC Jim Gritz's Saturday Night Specials! During the briefback I had the demo portion. I had just given a detailed description of how I was going to blowup a radio tower and LTC Gritz made the comment, "Are you sure that it will fall? I tried to blow up a bridge in Vietnam and we thought we put enough but it failed to be destroyed!" You have to understand that I was a SSG at the time and was pretty full of myself. My answer to him, "In my experience, if I put demo on a target it will fall, everytime!" He seemed to like my answer for he made no comment!
Mgrayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:06   #23
Warchief
Quiet Professional

While I was at Ft Devens with 10th SFG in the early 80's the teams had some unique and custom built team rooms. Many of the team rooms featured a small bar area where the team would gather at the end of the day or week to decompress and foster a stronger team spirit. Eventually, the word came down from Group HQ to remove all alcohol and bars from the team rooms as drinking in government buildings was no longer considered acceptable. Shortly afterwards, our team (ODA 233) isolated in our team room for a Battalion level mission planning exercise. Teams were to briefback to the Battalion Commander and staff in the team room at the end of the ISO period. When the Battalion Commander came into our team room, the first thing he noticed and immediately commented about was that we had not removed our team room’s wooden bar. He was a little irate to say the least and demanded that Team Sergeant explain to him why he had failed to follow the Commander’s directive. The Team calmly and patiently explained to him that we had removed all adult beverages and our bar from the team room per the Commander’s order. The Commander said, “Well, then what the hell is that?” Team Sergeant said, “Oh, that’s just an L shaped podium of course.”

Last edited by Warchief; 08-17-2011 at 16:03.
Warchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16   #24
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
While I was at Ft Devens with 10th SFG in the early 80's the teams had some unique and custom built team rooms. Many of the team room featured a small bar area where the team would gather at the end of the day or week to decompress and foster a stronger team spirit. Eventually, the word came down from Group HQ to remove all alcohol and bars from the team rooms as drinking in government buildings was no longer considered acceptable. Shortly afterwards, our team (ODA 233) isolated in our team room for a Battalion level mission planning exercise. Teams were to briefback to the Battalion Commander and staff in the team room at the end of the ISO period. When the Battalion Commander came into our team room, the first thing he noticed and immediately commented about was that we had not removed our team room’s wooden bar. He was a little irate to say the least and demanded that Team Sergeant explain to him why he had failed to follow the Commander’s directive. The Team calmly and patiently explained to him that we had removed all adult beverages and our bar from the team room per the Commander’s order. The Commander said, “Well, then what the hell is that?” Team Sergeant said, “Oh, that’s just an L shaped podium of course.”
Old 08-18-2011, 16:15   #25
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I need more entries in order to do the poll. Step up, gentlemen.

Dusty, I know you have stories. Spill 'em.
Old 08-18-2011, 16:34   #26
alelks
Quiet Professional

In 5th Group while setting up the ROTC stakes we were doing our dry runs the day prior to Col Bynum coming through to do his inspection. Well this one lane was going over their sand table and upon completion someone asked.

"Well what's this in the corner?"

With a very serious look on his face the answer was:

"That's the watermelon patch"

With a bewildered look on his face the next question was:

"Well what are those markers for?"

With a straight face from the soldier came:

"Those are the mines"

From the person doing the inspection:

"Get that shit off of there"

That didn't go over very well at all.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote