Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18F

Old 05-02-2008, 05:04   #61
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

18F Course

O&I Dec '64- Jan '65. The last HARD course. We only had pencil and paper.

BMT
Old 06-14-2008, 13:41   #62
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I sure hope the prohibition on 18Ds at the F course has been lifted. It really should be company dependent. Since returning from this deployment I've talked to 2 AD companies and 1 other ARNG company about slots, and all three were over strength on Deltas and there was a pool of medics at the B-tm waiting for spots on teams to open up. All of the above were either short 18B or 18C. We didn't even have an 18B on our last trip, but we had 2 18Ds. That was the story (more or less) in the whole company. What gives?

An extra 9 months of school, a mountain of S1 BS to deal with, unique exposure risks w/o compensation (Hep C, HIV, TB, Pesticides, et al), an MOS that requires extensive sustainment to maintain basic skills frustrating attempts at other schools, and now: no opportunities for upward mobility within the company!!! The hits keep coming. I wonder if the guys who complain about attrition are the same ones that come up with these kinds of fantastic incentives?
Old 06-14-2008, 14:21   #63
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9 View Post
I sure hope the prohibition on 18Ds at the F course has been lifted. It really should be company dependent. Since returning from this deployment I've talked to 2 AD companies and 1 other ARNG company about slots, and all three were over strength on Deltas and there was a pool of medics at the B-tm waiting for spots on teams to open up. All of the above were either short 18B or 18C. We didn't even have an 18B on our last trip, but we had 2 18Ds. That was the story (more or less) in the whole company. What gives?

An extra 9 months of school, a mountain of S1 BS to deal with, unique exposure risks w/o compensation (Hep C, HIV, TB, Pesticides, et al), an MOS that requires extensive sustainment to maintain basic skills frustrating attempts at other schools, and now: no opportunities for upward mobility within the company!!! The hits keep coming. I wonder if the guys who complain about attrition are the same ones that come up with these kinds of fantastic incentives?
So what you are basically saying is you are tired of being over worked, over studied, and under appreciated...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 14:57   #64
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Only for 14 more days.
Old 06-14-2008, 18:58   #65
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

You know, I remember when guys going to the 18F course, or O&I, or ANCOC had to have several years on a team and a bunch of deployments before they were eligible, regardless of MOS.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43   #66
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You know, I remember when guys going to the 18F course, or O&I, or ANCOC had to have several years on a team and a bunch of deployments before they were eligible, regardless of MOS.

TR
Not Now TR.... TS are sending guy right out of the Q-course with two weeks to two months on their ODAs.

This is why the 18F is no long the Asst. OPS for the team.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:24   #67
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I'm tracking. The 18F should have a good amount of team time. I think everyone would love to see more experience all the way around in the Regt today. But if the personnel are not there, or are they're there but broke and stuck in the rear, then what do you do? Ultimately, I'd rather have a less-experienced 18F on the team to learn from the 18Z than I would have the 18Z trying to wear both hats, although I agree that the situation is not ideal.

It's not just Deltas. The 18F on our last deployment was an 18B w/ a few months out of the Q when he went to the F course. In the end he had a learning curve, but after a few months he did fine.

Main point is that I wish they would lighten up on the 18D MOS. With the MOS overstrength in many companies, I don't see the reason for the prohibition anymore. There are medics in my company now with 5-6 deployments and plenty of team time. At least they should be able to go and free up another spot on a team for a medic.

Sir, I wasn't asking about 18F for myself. Crip told me he needs to get to the 18F course this year if he's going to be an E8 in 8 years.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:42   #68
18C4V
Quiet Professional

The fox on my team is a stud, did outstanding on this deployment and he's our asst ops guys since he's the senior E-7 on the team. However, he's retiring and I'll be pinning on E-8 and taking over our team really soon and I'll have to figure out who do I send to the fox course?

I got two echo's who expressed interest with less than one year team time. But counting this deployment and his mother army deployment as a 11B, one of them has already 23 months of combat time. I'm leaning towards him since he was helping out our fox this trip. Like the other guys said, the average time time is really low. We got six guys on my team with less than one year team time, but have lots of mother army experience. Anyway I heard there's a shitload of new guys who graduated from the Q-course who signed into the company while we're deployed. So the vicious cycle starts again with the breaking in of new guys!!!
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47   #69
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...Crip told me he needs to get to the 18F course this year if he's going to be an E8 in 8 years.
Dont go tossing me under the bus there dozer killer.

I am happy being a medic and have no desire to go to the Fox course whatsoever... I do wish there was more med courses but thats a different discussion. The intel side of the house isnt for me.

Besides, it will be another 5 years before I can make E7...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 06-15-2008 at 10:51.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 19:26   #70
dave
Asset

The ban on 18D's is lifted on the fox course with a caveat. We're allowed to go but they won't change our primary MOS to 18F. I had to do a lot of looking to find that information. Presently I've got a hard slot, but the CSM is saying D's aren't allowed. My Tm SGT talked to the NCOIC of the fox course, and I guess there is some sort of waiver that I need to get. From what I've heard we'll have to stay current with all of our medical requirements until we're allowed to change our primary MOS over to Fox, but little is known about it cause not many if any D's are going to the Fox course. I'll try and keep posting to keep you guys updated on how this turns out.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12   #71
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
The ban on 18D's is lifted on the fox course with a caveat. We're allowed to go but they won't change our primary MOS to 18F. I had to do a lot of looking to find that information. Presently I've got a hard slot, but the CSM is saying D's aren't allowed. My Tm SGT talked to the NCOIC of the fox course, and I guess there is some sort of waiver that I need to get. From what I've heard we'll have to stay current with all of our medical requirements until we're allowed to change our primary MOS over to Fox, but little is known about it cause not many if any D's are going to the Fox course. I'll try and keep posting to keep you guys updated on how this turns out.
With 18F at or over a 100% I don't see it lifted with the numbers of 18Ds.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote