Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 00:49   #151
PinelandVet66
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: JBLM
Posts: 37
If you all are into some new stuff check out MTN. Athletes new site . google it.
GYM jones or MTN. Athlete great workouts and very battle focused!
PinelandVet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 20:26   #152
LawOfTheSea
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kalsu
Posts: 9
Thanks for the heads up, NDD. On their way to me currently.

Their seminar is only a state away from me. Will be attending it when I head back there.
__________________
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
- Hunter S. Thompson
LawOfTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 21:39   #153
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Blitzzz (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 956
Not Cross Fit

dmgedgoods, I'm glad you are Blitzing. by now you should know it's nothing like Cross Fit.
Blitzzz
__________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 18:32   #154
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla
 
dmgedgoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
dmgedgoods, I'm glad you are Blitzing. by now you should know it's nothing like Cross Fit.
Blitzzz
I did a crossfit workout with my buddy the other day. It was a great workout, but not exactly what I am looking for. So far the workout you have put out is going pretty good. It is hard to keep consistency due to my job requirements at the moment, but that should change in the near future. I will keep you posted on progress.

Shawn
__________________
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
George Orwell
dmgedgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 18:34   #155
Carpe Noctem
Asset
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 7
I have also started the Blitz program. Having been a dyed-in-the-wool heavy-low reps kind of guy, I find it a great and highly productive change of pace. Once I start seeing some progress, I'll post some results.
Carpe Noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:02   #156
Swank
Quiet Professional
 
Swank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NW and OCONUS
Posts: 41
Lots of front squats, hang clean and press, pull-ups, L-pull-ups, leg-arc pull-ups, push ups in various forms, box jumps, hand-stand push-ups, medicine ball crunches, and heavy bag. No particular order. The chunks I blew in the sand yesterday tell me that it's working ok.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48   #157
Leozinho
Quiet Professional
 
Leozinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: No. Va
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
www.mtnathlete.com

I have been giving it a go for the past couple weeks and have been happily getting my arse handed to me with some of their non-standard exercises. At first I didnt think much about it but I am making some fairly substantial gains in the strength without my endurance suffering...

Anyone else giving them a go?

Yes, (when I have access to a facility that is remotely friendly to those sort of workouts.) I like it much better than CF*.

Mostly I like that the workouts are one hour long (with the occasional 2 hour effort). I think there's a place for the high intensity 8 minute CF workouts, but the no free lunch rule applies. MTNAthlete has said that seasoned CFers visit his gym and struggle with his hour-long workouts, and I can see why.

I think Mtnathlete's heavy efforts are better than the mainpage CF WODs, also.

However, he's changed his website and workouts in the last month to prescribe different workouts for his climbers and "tactical athletes." I'm not completely sold yet on the new 'tactical athlete' workouts, where he tells you when and how long to ruck.

I liked the old way, which was doing his generic workouts on M/W/F and skipping the rock climbing-centric workouts on Tuesday and Thursday. I then have the freedom to incorporate endurance efforts on my own.

*-Though with CF nowadays you have to say whether its Mainpage CF WOD, MEBB, CF Gant Hybird, CF W/Strength Bias, etc. At least with all the different branches of CF, some CFers are tacitly admitting that 'old school' mainpage CF is lacking.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:13   #158
abc_123
Quiet Professional
 
abc_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
Yes, (when I have access to a facility that is remotely friendly to those sort of workouts.) I like it much better than CF*.

Mostly I like that the workouts are one hour long (with the occasional 2 hour effort). I think there's a place for the high intensity 8 minute CF workouts, but the no free lunch rule applies. MTNAthlete has said that seasoned CFers visit his gym and struggle with his hour-long workouts, and I can see why.

I think Mtnathlete's heavy efforts are better than the mainpage CF WODs, also.

However, he's changed his website and workouts in the last month to prescribe different workouts for his climbers and "tactical athletes." I'm not completely sold yet on the new 'tactical athlete' workouts, where he tells you when and how long to ruck.

I liked the old way, which was doing his generic workouts on M/W/F and skipping the rock climbing-centric workouts on Tuesday and Thursday. I then have the freedom to incorporate endurance efforts on my own.

*-Though with CF nowadays you have to say whether its Mainpage CF WOD, MEBB, CF Gant Hybird, CF W/Strength Bias, etc. At least with all the different branches of CF, some CFers are tacitly admitting that 'old school' mainpage CF is lacking.

I did just build a small sandbag (80#) using the method shown on the mtnathlete web site. Very easy. No mess. I used a smaller civilian duffle bag knock off and think I could fit about 100# of wood pellets in it. Not sure about a big duffle..I'd guess 120-150#??. Anyway, it was a lot easier than dealing with sand.
__________________
The Main Thing is to keep the Main Thing the Main Thing
abc_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 20:42   #159
PinelandVet66
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: JBLM
Posts: 37
Just had the MTN athlete guys come out and run the team through the ringer. i have got to tell you, it was a smokefest. There is a workout on the website that we did at the range to evaluate our shooting under exstreme stress it was a great evaluation any team can wrap some time around. Im sure Rob at MTN. Athlete will be out looking for more SOF units to gather data on. Good Luck!
PinelandVet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:03   #160
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional
 
Surgicalcric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wherever my ruck finds itself
Posts: 2,972
I read where he came up and visited you guys and he is planning on doing more work with SF.

It is nice to see someone taking what he knows about fitness, learning what it is we need out of a program, and pushing forward with some ideas. We talked a few days ago about the upcoming changes to the site as well as to the program and training evolutions themselves. He is a very knowledgeable and open minded trainer. I have been more pleased with the mtn athlete stuff than I ever was with CF WOD's or with just hitting the weights and working on endurance apart from the gym.

Those (2) rep squat/clean w/ press @ 80% BW every 45 sec for 10 sets darn near killed me today. I like it...
__________________
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 20:06   #161
Gavin
Asset
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
gym jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinelandVet66 View Post
If you all are into some new stuff check out MTN. Athletes new site . google it.
GYM jones or MTN. Athlete great workouts and very battle focused!
crossfit steals a lot of workout ideas from gym jones, but they apply it incorrectly... ie... with NO form.

Gym Jones is an excellent weight training resource.
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 20:16   #162
Gavin
Asset
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
injinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3Project View Post
Not the one you asked, but since I own some...

Vibram has a sizing conversion on their website. http://vibramfivefingers.com/

It works for MOST people...but the store I ordered from said sizing returns on the 5-fingers were about ~20-25%...usual return rates are 2%. Finding a store and trying them on would be your best bet, if possible. Some REIs stock them. Vibram has a store locator, too.

I usually wear a 10-10.5 in running shoes, but wear a 41 Sprint.

I ordered 42 Classics, but they were too big. Tightening the shock cord made them more secure, at the cost of pain from the cord cutting into my skin.

The 41 are about right - maybe a little on the small side in a toe or two. The 5-Fingers tend to be looser in the heels than the toes. I personally prefer the Sprints over the Classics...the strap secures them quite nicely, and I find them to be more comfortable. I did not like the elastic on the Classics.

Injinji socks are good if you want socks with 'em.
Injinji Outdoor wool socks are really good. They isolate each toe and help prevent blisters.
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48   #163
booker
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
I read where he came up and visited you guys and he is planning on doing more work with SF.

It is nice to see someone taking what he knows about fitness, learning what it is we need out of a program, and pushing forward with some ideas. We talked a few days ago about the upcoming changes to the site as well as to the program and training evolutions themselves. He is a very knowledgeable and open minded trainer. I have been more pleased with the mtn athlete stuff than I ever was with CF WOD's or with just hitting the weights and working on endurance apart from the gym.

Those (2) rep squat/clean w/ press @ 80% BW every 45 sec for 10 sets darn near killed me today. I like it...
Rob has a good post at Military Athlete today about prepping for selection- specifically that you need to train for certain events (like rucking) and that MILATHLETE/CROSSFIT/ whatever new scheme that is out there isn't the end all be all. Seems like I have heard The Reaper say that, oh, about 200 times or so.

http://www.militaryathlete.com/subpa...279&page_ID=28
__________________
Ut Prosim
booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 13:09   #164
Boomer-61
Auxiliary
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 97
Battling Ropes

www.powerropes.com
This is a system of strength endurance designed by John Brookfield. I've been training with his various techniques for about 6 months. It's so simple yet so effective. The training I do on the ropes translates to other fitness realms like my Mtn. Bike. The only down side is that you have to acquire a 50' chunk of 1.5-2.0" dia rope.
Boomer
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16   #165
Viking
Quiet Professional
 
Viking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 260
Since it was something new, I will post it here. Yesterday we did max # of bench presses in one minute with your body weight then moved to the pull up bars for max in one minute. After the pull ups we moved to the O course and did rope climbs to absolute, fall off the rope, muscle failures. Next was the Nasty Nick monkey bars. It was a good arm/back/chest workout.
__________________
Let us never forget!!!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21.



Copyright 2004-2022 by Professional Soldiers
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies