Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-28-2020, 16:22   #1
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

PX Rolex gains ~1,500% since 1974

Hey any of you Vietnam vets have one of these laying around in a box from the 70’s?

Air Force Airmen spends his entire paycheck at the PX in 1974 on a $345.97 Rolex Oyster Cosmograph to go diving and then received it a year later and realized it was too nice to take in the saltwater.

Had it appraised recently for between $500,000 and $700,000.

Damn I still wish I bought several Rolex Submariners in the PX for under $450 back in the early 80’s but that was a monthly paycheck for me and I needed beer and cigs.

https://apple.news/AHkrsFAZOQLG7ML-ig_zl_g

If that link doesn’t work google the story.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 17:00   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Good for him!

Saw an Antiques Roadshow segment that was a soldier purchase at the PX back in 1960

1960 GMT Master Model Rolex with Box & Papers

1st Model (6542)

Purchased for $120.35

Estimated value (3 years ago) $65,000 - $75,000

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 17:21   #3
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Much better than me. I bought a GMT (1) upon my completion of SOMC in Fayetteville for $1200 circa 1990 and needed a new truck in 1996 where I sold the watch to the dealership finance manager for $1900. (I was joking she was serious as it was her wedding anniversary. I left with truck.)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 17:33   #4
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

ROLEX WATCHES :

Rolex watch GMT sold for $143.00 in the PX on Okinawa in 1964. I bought a ladies Rolex Oyster Perpetual for my wife for $125.00 She still has it, But, She had it engraved & it has almost no resale value...Still have my GMT, send it to Rolex in New York @ every 5 to 6 years for maintenance they clean, oil and replace parts that are worn e g. the crystal and they certify that it will not lose 3 seconds in 1 year. How would you know??? Also the date has to be adjusted for the month's that do not have 31 days. The I- phone is probably more accurate & you DO NOT have to adjust it. The Rolex company in Switzerland has created a "cult" with their watches, e g. Sir Edmund Hillary submitted Mt. Everest wearing a Rolex watch given to him by Rolex which they now have in their museum; Jack Nicklaus was given a solid gold Rolex in 1966 as a gift beginning in 1967 when the watch was delivered to him, for more than 50 years after the Rolex went with him. It was in his possession when he captured the last 12 of his 18 major titles. Nicklaus will put the watch up for auction after it completes a world tour. The opening bid is Dec.10 in New York.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:01   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
....but that was a monthly paycheck for me...
The only part of a Rolex story I have ever been able to relate to, so I sent a Seiko home. Besides, even as a youngster, there was a part of me that said 'it's just a watch." 60's, 70's, or your 80's, no matter what decade, it still always seemed to cost a month's pay... lol.

That's neat for him though - cool to see & better than an antique desk.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:46   #6
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

One hell of an investment. I would have worn the piss out of that watch. Who the heck buys a Rolex and then doesn’t wear it for 45 years?
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 18:04   #7
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
One hell of an investment. I would have worn the piss out of that watch. Who the heck buys a Rolex and then doesn’t wear it for 45 years?
Yeah. And has all the paperwork including a blank warranty/registration card, then tucks it away in a safety deposit box for 45 years.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 19:00   #8
Beef
Quiet Professional

I saw that on Roadshow. That guy could hardly talk after he got up and got the “final value.” I had a similar experience, though not as profound. I bought a Seadweller in Geneva while in the Marine Corps. Paid $564 for it. Wore it daily until around 2000 when I found out it was a “Double Red Sea Dweller.” Worth $ 25-30K. I’ve also got most of the papers, pieces and box. Stays in the bank vault now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BF422680-594E-4DCB-B158-FCD275DDEB86.jpeg (154.4 KB, 58 views)
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 20:44   #9
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
I saw that on Roadshow. That guy could hardly talk after he got up and got the “final value.” I had a similar experience, though not as profound. I bought a Seadweller in Geneva while in the Marine Corps. Paid $564 for it. Wore it daily until around 2000 when I found out it was a “Double Red Sea Dweller.” Worth $ 25-30K. I’ve also got most of the papers, pieces and box. Stays in the bank vault now.
Nice watch.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 21:04   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Nice watch.
Agree. Not to diminish the Roadshow watch, but I think in terms of aesthetics that Seadweller is the cat's ass. The other is Numbah 10 too beaucoup bling for me. That Seadweller is a keeper whereas the other one in my house it'd be "put that sucker up on the block!"

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 20:58   #11
Beef
Quiet Professional

Gracias. If I knew then what I knew now......
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 17:50   #12
dannyleo
Quiet Professional

Rolex watch accuracy?

I asked about getting a Rolex when I first got on a team. At the time, seemed like the team guys had Rolexes and a Jeep or motorcycle. I ended up with the latter two, but every team guy I asked admitted to me that theirs never really kept good time so I stuck with my Seikos. These days, I see a lot of really cool watches, but can't remember the last time I wore one. Combination of it not allowing my motorcycle jacket to seal at the wrist and having a super accurate iPhone. But the iWatch is singing a siren song. Too bad I can't wear it at work.

Motorcycle Adventure Addict
Former Action Guy
Leatherneck/Devil Dog
Motorcycle Officer
Firefighter
Paramedic

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, then got too fat to wear it.
Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay.
Said, "Been there, done that."
Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US.
I didn't have any room for t-shirts on that little 13,500-mile journey.
dannyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:37   #13
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

ROLEX:

It's not just a watch...ROLEX Oyster Perpetual...GMT-MASTER.. Superlative Chronometer... Officially Certified printed on the face & claimed by ROLEX that it will not loose more than 3 seconds a year. When the CCP decide to turn off the satellites you may need a ROLEX that doesn't keep good time... I bought mine in the PX on Okinawa 1964 cost $145.00 sent it to ROLEX in NYC for service a few times to have it cleaned and oiled that cost was @ $500 including return shipping & there was nothing wrong with it keeping time... I don't know about 3 seconds per year! but at this point in my life I don't even need a calendar.