Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Above and Beyond

Old 02-01-2004, 15:57   #1
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Benavidez, Roy P.

Rank and Organization: Master Sergeant
Detachment B-56, 5th Special Forces Group, Republic of Vietnam.
Place and Date: West of Loc Ninh on 2 May 1968.
Entered Service at:Houston, Texas June 1955.
Date and Place of Birth: 5 August 1935, DeWitt County, Cuero, Texas.
Date and Place of Death: 29 November 1998, San Antonio, TX

Citation:

Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1stSpecial Forces, Republic of Vietnam.

On the morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence informationabout confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled androutinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army. After a short period oftime on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance, and requestedemergency extraction. Three helicopters attempted extraction, but wereunable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire.

Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoringthe operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load woundedcrewmembers and to assess aircraft damage. Sergeant Benavidez voluntarilyboarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt.

Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unableto move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearingwhere he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior toreaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face, andhead. Despite these painful injuries, he took charge, repositioning theteam members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of anextraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. Hethen threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position.

Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried anddragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He thenprovided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved topick up the remaining team members. As the enemy's fire intensified, hehurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead teamleader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severelywounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in hisback. At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded,and his helicopter crashed.

Although in extremely critical condition due tohis multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documentsand made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out ofthe overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into adefensive perimeter. Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenadefire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition tohis weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight.

Facing abuildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidezmustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directedthe fire from supporting gunships to suppress the enemy's fire and sopermit another extraction attempt.

He was wounded again in his thigh bysmall arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member justbefore another extraction helicopter was able to land. His indomitablespirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft.

Onhis second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed from additional wounds tohis head and arms before killing his adversary. He then continued underdevastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching theaircraft, he spotted and killed two enemy soldiers who were rushing thecraft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firingupon them. With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to theperimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected ordestroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded.

Only then, in extremelyserious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allowhimself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft.

Sergeant Benavidez'gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in criticalstraits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and hisrefusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of atleast eight men.

His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion toduty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds werein keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflectthe utmost credit on him and the United States Army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benavidez.jpg (9.3 KB, 409 views)

Last edited by Martinez; 02-01-2004 at 16:13.
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 17:04   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP, MSG B.

Your sacrifices live on.

Thanks.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:41   #3
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

I was fortunate to meet MSG Benavidez before he passed away.

Blue Skies, MSG.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:10   #4
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

I never met the man although I should have, as our paths crossed often enough, and we had mutual friends:

Blue skies:

Rest In Peace:

Terry
Old 02-03-2004, 12:13   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I heard him speak and met him. The Man.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 13:50   #6
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

He was the Best Man at my wedding in 1991 in Roswell, NM.

Jennifer Martinez sends
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 16:26   #7
Doc

I met him and thought he was a great man.

RIP

DOL
Old 07-13-2004, 15:53   #8
Jgood
Quiet Professional

When i went through PLDC at Bragg in 1998 we spent a day talking about MSG. Roy P. Benavidez, I was completly in aw of his actions and to this day i tell other NCOs to read about what he did. And hope to be half the man he was.
RIP MSG
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:12   #9
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Jenn-

We meet again on 'nuther Forum.

Good job here, girl.

Thanx mucho.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 21:30   #10
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Two of the best, ever!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobnroy.jpg (367.2 KB, 312 views)

Old 01-23-2005, 10:14   #11
RAT
Auxiliary

He was a great man.

I meet Roy many yrs ago in El Campo, Tx. My Uncles family was very good frineds with his family.

God rest his soul.

RAT OUT!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:07   #12
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

A ditty about the USNS Benavidez!!!

http://www.valorremembered.org/RPB_USNSBenavidez.htm

Toby

Old 02-11-2005, 08:57   #13
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up The city of Cuero, TX honors Roy

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....4b878ac6.html

Old 07-24-2005, 01:13   #14
Detcord
Guerrilla

Here's a rare, larger pic of MSG Benavidez, who was a regular at our
Soldier of the Year dinners. A true hero.

(pic from C312.com)
Attached Images
File Type: gif unit_h3.gif (141.3 KB, 198 views)
Detcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:41   #15
Doc
Quiet Professional

Proud to say I met him at Bragg where he spoke for us. That man lived with a lot of physical pain from his war wounds.

Well done MSG!

RIP

DOL

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote