Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 01-26-2012, 22:42   #1
Fenian0311
Asset

Med issudes and SFAS

My thanks to all ahead of time in regards to questions that can be answered.

So to begin, first off I have done plenty of searching on the net and the forum and have found some excellent info that has answered some questions of mine, but not all of them. Was wishing to have a PM conversation with a current member of the regiment but fears directed that I should go ahead and post a thread to get what I need answered.

For personal background, I'm currently a 27yr old, 8yr vet who recently left the Marine Corps, MOS 0311 (infantry rifleman) with a clean record and several combat deployments. It is not only my desire, but a absolute need and want to be SOF. It has been a dream of mine to not only be a warrior in service to the country I love but SOF for as long as I can recall. I want to not just serve, but serve with consummate professionals who take their job seriously and are the best at what they do. I want to serve in a elite capacity, I want to be the tip of the spear, and I want to continue as a warrior, a elite warrior. I'm sure I'd get asked the question "why didn't u go into MARSOC?" and I was slated to but my mothers diagnosis of cancer and subsequent death turned my world upside down, sent me into a nice tail spin for awhile, and made me reassess my life. I could list the reasons as to why I left the Corps, but the main one was family.

Currently with my grandfather in failing health I'm residing with him and taking advantage of the GI bill to acquire my college education and focus my mind, body, and soul to the coming task while helping him stay in his home for at least a few more years until the reality of his failing health would require him to move in with one of his children or to a home. Until then I'll happily take on the burden of helping another while improving myself.

With that all said and my personal situation and background explained (sorry if it came off as long winded), onto the questions I would ask of members on here in regards to my future in SOF.

1. This is med related: I have psoriasis which is more of a annoyance to my physical well being than anything and has never affected my ability to perform in the military. Is this a disqualifier? I would think not but wanted to make sure.

2. Had read on a previous forum of a individual who was turned down for airborne school because of a hernia surgery he had done but didn't have it while in the military which caused a issue for jump school med qual's. I had a hernia surgery back in 07 while on active duty at Bethesda naval hospital, haven't had a issue from it ever since the surgery, again any issue with that?

Those are the main concerns I have at the moment. Again I do truly appreciate any answers and input members on here can give. If its better to PM in regards to all this feel free to do so. Thank you all and have a Semper day!
Fenian0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 00:01   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Couple things...

Did you research AR40-501 for answers to your questions? Thats where the answers will be found to your two questions. We could give you our interpretation of the regulation after having had looked up the same reg.

Taken from the thread, 'Welcome! Please Read!' It was three posts above yours and is a sticky.

Quote:
...any questions may deal with eligibility and waivers.

Medical standards are outlined in Army Regulation 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness, dated 28 MAR 02. Some items are waiverable, and some are not. DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY.

The full text is available here:

AR40-501

And lastly, SOF is Special Operations Forces which include MARSOC, PJ/CCTs, Rangers, SF, SEALs, etc. SF is Special Forces. I knew what you were referring to but wanted to clarify the difference.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Couple things...

Did you research AR40-501 for answers to your questions? Thats where the answers will be found to your two questions. We could give you our interpretation of the regulation after having had looked up the same reg.

Taken from the thread, 'Welcome! Please Read!' It was three posts above yours and is a sticky.

And lastly, SOF is Special Operations Forces which include MARSOC, PJ/CCTs, Rangers, SF, SEALs, etc. SF is Special Forces. I knew what you were referring to but wanted to clarify the difference.

HTH,

Crip
Crip's right,If you want to go SOF stay in the Marines and request MARSOC it's probably easier than re-enlisting for SOF in the army............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54   #4
Fenian0311
Asset

copy that

appreciated, will check the med standards, and apologies the SOF thing was simply a mistake from my sometimes fast typing. I'm officially out of the Corps and in school right now, so staying in is a option that's come and gone, and quite frankly NGSF has more appeal and interest to me than MARSOC. I enjoyed the Corps and miss it at times, but felt a different path was needed. I'm sure others can relate in that regard.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:08   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian0311 View Post
. I'm sure I'd get asked the question "why didn't u go into MARSOC?"
Not around here, you won't.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14   #6
Fenian0311
Asset

ok looked...

I did as you said, didn't seem to be anything disqualifying regarding psoriasis, but hernia was listed as a disqualifier for nearly all SOF training, however it didn't say anything in regards to it being repaired, so i'm under the impression it means if you have a current, untreated one it's a no go. Am I reading it correctly or reading what I want into it? I'll eventually be talking with a recruiter in regards to all of this.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Well. . . . back when I was applying for SFQC (and Dinosaurs RULLLLLLL-ED the Earth) I told them I'd had a hernia repaired and . . . the REST is history!

You guys worry to much.
Do what you can to control what you can (not much) then cross your fingers and kiss your girl for luck; hand your static line to the JumpMaster and stand in the door. GO! on the tap.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36   #8
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian0311 View Post
I did as you said, didn't seem to be anything disqualifying regarding psoriasis, but hernia was listed as a disqualifier for nearly all SOF training, however it didn't say anything in regards to it being repaired, so i'm under the impression it means if you have a current, untreated one it's a no go. Am I reading it correctly or reading what I want into it? I'll eventually be talking with a recruiter in regards to all of this.
You didn't look very hard...

Ch 2 (Enlistment) Section 28 paragraph "o":
Current or History of psoriasis does not meet the standard

Ch 5 Section 3 Medical Fitness for initial selection of ABN, RANGER, SERE, SF etc paragraph a, 2:
Hernia of any variety including inguinal and other abdominal

paragraph r "Skin and Cellular tissues"
see paragraph 2-28 which I referenced for you already

You may be able to apply for a waiver for these conditions, but with the current status of forces, pending draw-down, and ability of the services to now pick and choose, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And lastly - for you to use as the excuse that putting "SOF" in your initial post was a typo would have been fine...until you did it again in your very next post.

Don't tell us what you think we want to hear - owning up to (and correcting) a simple mistake is SO much easier....and unconditionally the right thing to do.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 01-27-2012 at 10:40.
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39   #9
Fenian0311
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
You didn't look very hard...

Ch 2 (Enlistment) Section 28 paragraph "o":
Current or History of psoriasis does not meet the standard

Ch 5 Section 3 Medical Fitness for initial selection of ABN, RANGER, SERE, SF etc paragraph a, 2:
Hernia of any variety including inguinal and other abdominal

paragraph r "Skin and Cellular tissues"
see paragraph 2-28 which I referenced for you already

You may be able to apply for a waiver for these conditions, but with the current status of forces, pending draw-down, and ability of the services to now pick and choose, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And lastly - for you to use as the excuse that putting "SOF" in your initial post was a typo would have been fine...until you did it again in your very next post.

Don't tell us what you think we want to hear - owning up to (and correcting) a simple mistake is SO much easier....and unconditionally the right thing to do.
Apologies in the previously stated regards. I had seen the bit of psoriasis but did not entirely understand what "meets the standard" meant. Was under the impression it meant met the standard for disqualification. Also, it was not considered a dis-qualifier during my initial screening for MARSOC years ago. I had some time ago had gotten a email from a TXNGSF recruiter telling me it wasn't a problem, though this was some time ago hence why I asked on here.

The hernia portion does not say "history of" or such, just states hernia. It seems a bit confusing as to whether it means having had a hernia of any type disqualifies one or having a current one disqualifies one. It was also again not something that was considered a dis-qualifier for MARSOC.

It's not my intention to try and prove someone wrong on here, nor continually make references to my MARSOC screening, just trying to give a context as to past experience and assist in my own way a answering to my questions. Again, the assistance is appreciated.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:54   #10
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Since you already have all the answers, why are you wasting our time with your questions?

As far as your "previous screening for MARSOC" - perhaps you can explain to all of us stupid ARMY folks how any of that would be relevant for you to come to the US ARMY?

Though it may be similar, I seriously doubt that the Marines use AR (which stands for ARMY REGULATION) 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness, for their Marines.

Additionally, I will give you this little "tid-bit"...once you are already IN the Service (any Service), many things are "overlooked". But GETTING in the Service is a whole different ball game. Especially now. But, of course, if that doesn't fit what you want to hear I am certain it won't apply to you.

Thanks for visiting-

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32   #11
Fenian0311
Asset

I meant no offense if any was perceived as given, nor do I insinuate anyone in the army is stupid, if it came off that way I do apolagize.

I do not have all the answers, was seeking clarification in regards to the questions, so again if that impression was given then my fault.

I did not presume to think that Army and Marines use the same medical guidelines in regards to personnel, but had come to find a overlap in many areas regarding special operations and med requirements in general, hence why I mentioned my MARSOC screening. I'll check with a recruiter to see if these medical issues that all happened during my previous time in the Corps can be waived or have any effect on my potential future military wise.
Old 01-27-2012, 14:51   #12
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Somebody hand him another shovel

psssst . . . stop posting
Old 01-27-2012, 14:56   #13
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Somebody hand him another shovel

psssst . . . stop posting
Why, he is doing fine on his own.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 18:04   #14
stfesta
Quiet Professional

Always right

Dude,
Eagle5us is always right. Both he and I are medical folk and I always consult him as my gauge. I do this because he is always right. If I ever have a question, I call him on the phone.

Whatever he said is the law, no questions asked....ever!
sf
Old 01-27-2012, 18:56   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Thank you for your interest in SF.

You know, it really doesn't matter what people here think.

What matters is what the recruiter, the MEPS Doc, and the waiver authority say.

Not piling on here, but in the read before asking area of the board, we defer all medical questions to AR 40-501 before asking. Apparently, you missed that one. Attention to detail matters here, and in SF.

Eagle5US is the resident Army/SF medical expert on this board.

I think you need to make a decision on whether you want to be SF right now or not. People who show up without being committed don't usually make it. Worrying about your grandfather will not help. On the other hand, sounds like you have responsibilities back home and your career clock is ticking.

Once you are dedicated to the cause, check with the recruiters and MEPS Doc. They will tell you what you are qualified for. If I wanted to go SF, I would either reject any offer but 18X, or decide to enlist and then apply for SF. If you get in but fail to get through SFAS, you can always apply again later from the infantry unit you will be assigned to.

Not to be negative, but I think as the drawdown progresses, prior service, non-Army personnel are going to have a hard time getting back in. If we are kicking out 80,000 soldiers who are already MOSQed and serving, why would we be looking for outside talent with 8 years of non-Army service?

Best of luck regardless. If you make the cut and get to a team, you will be a member of the Brotherhood.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote