Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 12-06-2012, 17:55   #1
MRSD
SF Candidate

Does getting dropped from SOPC or SFAS follow you in your Army career?

I apologize if this has been asked before, I tried using the search, but I guess I wasn't using the right keywords.

I'm curious if one vw's or is dropped from either SOPC or SFAS, would that follow them forever in their Army career. Would that affect them should they apply for OCS, Ranger, WOFT, or just general advancement in their career?
MRSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:57   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

No, you can drive on and do whatever...no black mark.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

FWIW- One of my friends was re-cycled four times before he got through Phase I.. He went on to run 15 missions for SOG, served over 20 years and retired as a major. It's up to you to suceed or fail.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29   #4
kozak
Asset

Personal opinion, however little that may mean, stop thinking about voluntarily withdrawing. Don't think about "what if". Just prepare, get your head in the game, and make it.
kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:16   #5
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up SFAS

Have a very good friend of mine who went through SFAS 3 times before getting to Phase One. He didn't get medically dropped, or voluntary withdraw. He completed all 3 times, just didn't get selected in the first two. Went to 3rd Group performed very well and is now retired.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:47   #6
Joker
Quiet Professional

DON'T elfing quit. Yes it is hard, but many have made it, more have not and it is because they were weak mentally or physically were unlucky or got injured. The "secret" trait is success at all personal costs.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06   #7
69harley
Guerrilla

Had a few SOPC kids show up at my last platoon. Everyone of them were in terrific shape, but they all had issues, a chip on their shoulder, and generally ran their suck way too much. Not a single one of them went to Ranger School or did anything of significance.

My advice to someone that washes out of the 18X program and is sent to an infantry platoon is to simply keep your mouth shut about any and everything related to do with your time in the program and focus on being an infantryman. Go to Ranger School, RSLC and every other suck school you can. Don't even think of SFAS until you have established yourself as a solid infantryman.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53   #8
SomethingWitty
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69harley View Post
Had a few SOPC kids show up at my last platoon. Everyone of them were in terrific shape, but they all had issues, a chip on their shoulder, and generally ran their suck way too much. Not a single one of them went to Ranger School or did anything of significance.
What do you mean by ran their suck way too much?
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 13:06   #9
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingWitty View Post
What do you mean by ran their suck way too much?
I substituted in a Freshman English class the other day. Part of the lesson plan for the day was an exercise in "context clues" which I found interesting.

What do you think he meant by that phrase - given the context of the rest of his remarks?
Old 12-13-2012, 13:40   #10
SomethingWitty
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
I substituted in a Freshman English class the other day. Part of the lesson plan for the day was an exercise in "context clues" which I found interesting.

What do you think he meant by that phrase - given the context of the rest of his remarks?
Their mouth. Final answer. *cue Who Want to be a Millionaire*

I should have been more clear in what information I was looking for. My logic has always been that if I am not selected, the challenges placed on me at SFAS would allow me to become a better infantryman. My goal has been to show up, do my best, not quit, and if I am not selected, I am no worse off than if I had just enlisted as an 11x. And their are always other options.

I do not understand why someone would use "I went to SFAS" as a badge of honor. To me, I just look at it as an oppurtunity to get involved in something that I enjoy doing, and being around people that have a similar mindset that I do. Maybe I do not see it as a big deal because of the way I view SFAS. It's like trying out for the Olympics. Anyone can try out for the Olympics, but the act of trying out doesn't make you an Olympic level athlete.

Last edited by SomethingWitty; 12-13-2012 at 13:56.
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Many of the Special Forces soldiers on here (including myself) never attended a "pre-phase" selection course. SFAS is just that a "pre-course". And yes I'm sure it would make you a better infantrymen/person for just attending.

Personally I'm against having a SFAS or a "pre-phase" selection course. I'd rather see individuals thrown straight into the fire. But we all know now that very few "men" can handle that hence SFAS.

As the demand for Special Forces soldiers grows (a 4th Battalion) the selection process becomes diluted to ensure the numbers of individuals "graduate". We have discussed this subject ad nauseam and nothing can be said to stop the quantity over quality issues.

IMO There's way too much "hand holding" in the kinder- gentler US military.

If you are having second thoughts on not graduating then don't attend. There is no place for second thoughts on todays battlefield. Find an easier MOS like supply sergeant, that MOS should not keep you up at night.

My .02.
TS
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09   #12
MR2
Quiet Professional

Our Pre-Phase was conducted in the parking lot of Co A, IMA starting at 0300. There was 300 of us in formation and transportation enough for 150. We did pushups until enough dropped out for us to fit.

The first day of Phase I (48hrs) whittled that number down to under 50. Then the real training began...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote