Old 12-01-2011, 07:56   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Greenland Patrols

Thought I would drop this in amongst the winter warriors who have an appreciation for ice and cold

Actually met a gentleman who was honored to be selected for this duty. Funny story about how he and his partner had a disagreement early on and went several months without speaking to one-another....living in a tent no-less.

Quote:

Greenland by dog sledge: The Sirius Patrol in numbers

Denmark's elite soldiers spend months patrolling Greenland's icy expanses

Since the Cold War, Denmark has staked its claim to northern Greenland - and its untapped mineral wealth - with dog sledge patrols. This is the Sirius Patrol in numbers.

At 40-50kg, Sirius dogs are bred to be heavier and stronger The vast icy expanses at the top of our planet are rich in coal, ore and minerals. Although inhospitable in the extreme, these areas are in demand.

Denmark patrols and protects its sovereignty over Greenland with a small naval unit called the Sirius Patrol. The US Geological Survey estimates the oil reserves off its coast are as big as those in the North Sea.

Each autumn, six dog sledge teams - each manned by two soldiers from the Royal Danish Navy - spend up to six months patrolling an area of 160,000 sq km (60,000 sq miles). They are the only people in a vast wilderness about three times the size of Denmark.
Link to BBC here

-R10_

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11   #2
csquare
Quiet Professional

Makes spending a couple of nights above the tree line and in a snow cave, while training in Dombas, seem pretty dang wimpy.
Wonder if they use their spare Nalgene bottle for "other" things too?
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:44   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

The Danish variant of the Eskimo Scouts...makes me wonder who the Russians use for their northernmost regions.

Spending six weeks above the Alaskan Range one Jan/Feb where it warmed up to -25 during the 'day' was plenty for me - these guys should have their own 'Extreme Adentures' Discovery Channel program. Tough life for sure.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 16:42   #4
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

I do not like my water in the solid form. I much prefer it in the fluid state.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:53   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I do not like my water in the solid form. I much prefer it in the fluid state.
I don't mind a little of the solid stuff floating in about 3-4 fingers of liquid,, with a couple olives!!!

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote