Old 10-21-2009, 22:57   #46
mojaveman
Area Commander

Munchen

When I was a GI in Germany over 25 years ago I was fortunate enough to have gone to Munich a few times. There used to be an AFRC Hotel there that was cheap but actually pretty nice. I seem to remember that it only cost about $15.00 per night. Does anyone know if it is still there? What about the name of the place? Anyway, I used to enjoy going to either the Lowenbraukeller or the Hofbrauhaus. If you went to the Lowenbraukeller on a Friday or Saturday night they had Bavarian folk dancing, singing, yodeling, etc. That in addition to drinking a few liters of beer and talking with friends made for a nice evening. Of course that was many years ago but now there are plenty of other restaurants and Gasthauses to go to in Bavaria's capital.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 00:40   #47
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark the Engineer Officer View Post
I'm headed to Munich this weekend...not my first time but whenever I go I usually do the same old things: Hoffbrau, Augustiner, etc. Do any of you have any suggestions on beers to try/places to eat/things to do that is a one of a kind exerpience?
Munich - all Beer is good - so what is needed is to just enhance the experience - get some of the ooumpah oompah music and Make sure you get some of those big mugs of beer - the bigger the better.

Here are some examples of big Mugs.

Two big Glasses of beer.jpg, Three big Glasses of beer.jpg

Here is just lots of Mugs.

Beer Performer.jpg
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29   #48
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Munich - all Beer is good - so what is needed is to just enhance the experience - get some of the ooumpah oompah music and Make sure you get some of those big mugs of beer - the bigger the better.

Here are some examples of big Mugs.

Attachment 13372, Attachment 13373

Here is just lots of Mugs.

Attachment 13371
Nice pictures Mitch.

They're enough to make any man thirsty.

Oh, the beer looks good too.

Last edited by mojaveman; 10-22-2009 at 22:29.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 14:28   #49
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Damn, I am IN LOVE with picture #3 - Beer Performer! My kind of woman...
Old 10-22-2009, 20:43   #50
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
There used to be an AFRC Hotel there that was cheap but actually pretty nice. I seem to remember that it only cost about $15.00 per night. Does anyone know if it is still there?
AFRC is a completely different animal now. The hotel in Munich closed a long time ago. Chiemsee is closed; I don't know if it was torn down. The Gen Walker in Berchtesgaden was turned back in the 90s and razed.

Garmisch isn't much different. The Patton, Von Steuben are closed and just sitting unused (as of last summer). The Abrams is AFRC offices and employee housing. Sheridan is closed and part of the Marshall Center. There is ONE hotel in all of Germany now, the Edelweiss near Sheridan Kaserne.

The old sport complex near the Bahnhof has been sitting unused for many years.
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 20:47   #51
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I did - in fact this beer is supposed to be the granddaddy of all German Beers.

Pilsner Urquell

Actually a Czech beer but it is the original Pilsner beer - it was brewed by Germans for Germans and is regarded as the "source" for all beers using the name Pils, or Pilsner.

I don't like it because it is just a bit too harsh, bitter for me, though I have never had it on tap (even in Germany). It is available in every Gasthaus in Germany.

Read more about it: http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/about-beer...oduction-chart
It is excellent on tap. I drank it vom Fass lots of places in Germany, even in Cold War days.
Old 10-22-2009, 20:50   #52
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Wow - something new - never ran accross a "smokey" Beer - in Germany, or anywhere else. Is this beer brewed by just one brewer or is common in all the towns arround and by all the local brewers?
I didn't know Bamberg was the home of Rauchbier, but I do know that there are several brewers that make it. Maisels was my first, and last, Rauchbier.

Didn't like it... And I am pretty flexible when it comes to beer. Well, at least in Germany.

But then, I am getting pretty flexible in the US too, as long as they sell a micro or two and not just Miller Light (flavored water).
Old 10-22-2009, 22:33   #53
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post

But then, I am getting pretty flexible in the US too, as long as they sell a micro or two and not just Miller Light (flavored water).
What amazes me is that people in this country actually go in to good bars and restaurants and order a Bud Light

After a tour of Germany - I came back unable to do two things (unless forced) - eat white bread and drink 90% of American Beers.

These, days, I drink Shiner Bock.

In fact - I think I'm going to grab one now.

Last edited by Mitch; 10-22-2009 at 22:35. Reason: Edited to go get beer.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 14:09   #54
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
Rauchbier...didn't like it...
Genau. Had a very good buddy stationed in Bamberg; visited him and tried both Rauchbier and Knoblauch Schnapps on the same night. Never again, and we had a short 'discussion' on the propriety of setting up one's buddy for such inhumanity from that point on.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 14:22   #55
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What amazes me is that people in this country actually go in to good bars and restaurants and order a Bud Light

After a tour of Germany - I came back unable to do two things (unless forced) - eat white bread and drink 90% of American Beers.

These, days, I drink Shiner Bock.

In fact - I think I'm going to grab one now.
I am one up on you. I can't drink drip or perked coffee either.

Shiner is pretty good.
Old 10-23-2009, 14:24   #56
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Genau. Had a very good buddy stationed in Bamberg; visited him and tried both Rauchbier and Knoblauch Schnapps on the same night. Never again, and we had a short 'discussion' on the propriety of setting up one's buddy for such inhumanity from that point on.
Knoblauch Schnapps? Sounds nasty. But a lot of those schnapps were pretty bad. Had Enzian?
Old 10-23-2009, 17:22   #57
MVP
Quiet Professional

Lent Bier

Some of you might remember Rick, TM SGT 021 circa 1986. Anyway, he used to say "there's a pork chop in every glass" in reference to bier. Point being, no need to eat when you could drink. Rauch bier truely takes you there, seems like you get a big bite of ham with each swallow...

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 22:12   #58
Razor
Quiet Professional

Al,

It was absolutely terrible. Can't say I remember ever having Enzian, and from the context, I'm probably a happier man for missing it. The rakyah (or however its spelled) in Macedonia left a lot to be desired...had to wash it down with an ouzo chaser, if that's any indication.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 00:40   #59
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Oh lord help me - forgot to bring any beer

I just swigged (or tried to) the worst beer, at least for me, that I have ever had the misfortune to taste. Went to a birthday party tonight. I did not bring any beer so it is my own damn fault - I got what I deserved. But the host had your typical Buds and Bud Lights - but he also had something new, that I had never seen. He insisted that I try it - (by the way, this guy has apparently never been out of Dallas). So I took one - in a green can - that should have been warning enough - it was a "Bud Light Lime" - gagggh. It was indescribably awful. I managed to choke down about half of it with the intention to catch my breath and swig the rest down, but just couldn't do it, when no one was looking I dumped the rest in the sink.

That left me with a Bud or a Bud Light - so I had a Diet Coke.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20   #60
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If you want a bad beer, try a Michelob Ultra with pomegranate and raspberry flavor.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote