Old 03-26-2008, 15:56   #61
Judgeroybean
Quiet Professional

I first used the polk in Norway about 1982. Worked way better than the Ahkio, especially going downhill. Bottom line was, at least with my team, if you couldn't ski well, you were screwed, and we were pretty much screwed!
ANyone remember the OLD Viking dry suits, the ones that didn't have zippers, and you had to climb in thru the neck hole?!! I was about 170, and I had problems, usually a 2-3 man job to get inside. Pitty the 230+ crowd.
Judgeroybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 18:39   #62
Stras
Quiet Professional

Talking

Max Tab is still looking for his skis and poles after Pacman took care of the "cherry" who sprayed the Co SGM while he was in the yardsale recovery mode......

Young cherry had not learned the important lesson of never turn your back on someone you just sprayed with snow..... especially when it's Pacman....

Pacman put the whooping on that poor boy when he caught him from behind..... and separated him from his skis........ Dick Butkis style......

2000 was a great WET.... unless you worked in the S-1 shop and was in the army under an assumed identity....
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:51   #63
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeroybean View Post
ANyone remember the OLD Viking dry suits, the ones that didn't have zippers, and you had to climb in thru the neck hole?!! I was about 170, and I had problems, usually a 2-3 man job to get inside. Pitty the 230+ crowd.
There was nothing dry about them...I was 140 and had a hell of a time getting in one...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:14   #64
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
Max Tab is still looking for his skis and poles after Pacman took care of the "cherry" who sprayed the Co SGM while he was in the yardsale recovery mode......

Young cherry had not learned the important lesson of never turn your back on someone you just sprayed with snow..... especially when it's Pacman....

Pacman put the whooping on that poor boy when he caught him from behind..... and separated him from his skis........ Dick Butkis style......

2000 was a great WET.... unless you worked in the S-1 shop and was in the army under an assumed identity....
After I sprayed him I took off, and linked up with the rest of our ski group. I was at the bottom of the line and figured I was good to go with everyone in between me and him. Of course I didn't count on everyone jumping out of the way when he was barreling down the hill at me. He blindsided me so hard I think I still have bruised ribs I of course bought him a couple beers at the last lift bar after we were done.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 15:19   #65
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Good Memories

This is my first day of being able to post, but I have read through this thread. Some good memories here and I know some of you folks.

My last WET was 97 out in CO with B/2/10.

I did teach an avalanche safety course in Jan 1998 out at Sunlight, but I was on terminal leave so I didn't get to enjoy the skiing for more than a day.

I miss those days even if I WAS freezing my ass off. I still think the White Mountains and/or VT seemed colder than CO.

Germany was just cool though. (I still hang around there.)

Al
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 21:04   #66
tap053
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
The Cpt makes the call and the NG guys from Vail (HATS) fly in through the blizzard and pull us out.
Hey not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I remember that CPT.... it was me
tap053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 15:41   #67
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap053 View Post
Hey not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I remember that CPT.... it was me
And I thank'd God that you did.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 19:52   #68
Richard
Quiet Professional

Six months in the RPI, home to Bragg for Xmas, and then two months in AK--part of the time north of the Ranges (-50 at night warming up to -25 during the day) and part of the time vic Beluga Station and Kodiak Island. Doing an SDV transit and port facility joint attack on Kodiak with a Team from Coronado in January is no fun--and dry suits don't keep you as dry or nearly as warm as you'd like.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 16:05   #69
jjw
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquare View Post
I remember that WET! Walking all night in the snow and getting to the PB and as we laid there in the rain, sleet and snow. The mist heped get the snow that was hanging on the pine branches to give way. Huge snowballs were falling on everyone. From heights of 20+ feet. You could hear them coming in. It would get in your bag, down your shirt and everywhere else. Pat Q and I would just look at each other and "embrace the suck". Then we went back to the gym. Got warm and somewhat dry and then went on the ice hit from hell. The funniest wasn't the passing of the kidney stone, but PapaG getting shot, by one of the Navy EOD, in the ball sack. They were carrying SIMS and we were all carrying blue plastic. SGM G thought one of us shot him with blue plastic. But what a sight seeing PapaG rolling around in pain, in the freaking cold behind a berm as we breached the front door. Excellent suck fest!
THat was the Officer on that EOD team. He took heavies for a long time. I was up there the following year.
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31   #70
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

+1 to the old Dry suits.

My team went through the Danish scout swimmer course in Denmark in '84. I'm one of the 230lb crowd and thought I was going to be strangled to death. It's pretty tight and might be better if one is into auto-asphyxiation. That wasn't my best WET but I remember the tram being unable to open the gates of the snaplinks on the swim line when we came ashore on a particular "cold" night 5 k infil swim. Our hands would not move. Brrrrr Blitz.

As to WETs I was also in 10th group and many a cold cold night and navigating with an altermeter on ridge/elevation lines. Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote