Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 01-09-2010, 15:03   #46
Stras
Quiet Professional

Vaclav Havel

Were any of you guys around Bad Tolz late 70's/early 80's when Vaclav Havel was drawing "The Meeting", the initial meeting between an SFODA and the auxilliary?

I have the prints, and everyone identified who was in the original drawing.

As soon as I can shrink the darn powerpoint slide to within the parameters to post on here, I will.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 15:24   #47
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
Were any of you guys around Bad Tolz late 70's/early 80's when Vaclav Havel was drawing "The Meeting", the initial meeting between an SFODA and the auxilliary?
Yup...and the ex and Havel had a joint art show downtown...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:00   #48
Richard
Quiet Professional

Havel worked in the graphic arts section down in the basement under the Hqs Cmdt during my time at Tolz - his certificates and plaques were great - he and Joe Beasley did some amazing pen and ink prints during that time.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:48   #49
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Havel worked in the graphic arts section down in the basement under the Hqs Cmdt during my time at Tolz - his certificates and plaques were great - he and Joe Beasley did some amazing pen and ink prints during that time.
He also taught Czech...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 01-09-2010, 19:13   #50
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
I thought Rocket Rondiak got credit for that.
Yep,

Just talked to JW this morning and he said that's who it was. He said they had just drawn the simulators and just as Rodiak put it on his shoulder JW saw the wires and yelled "Dont" but it was too late and before he could get the rest out Rondiak fired it.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 14:27   #51
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Vaclav Havel

Quote:

As soon as I can shrink the darn powerpoint slide to within the parameters to post on here, I will.

Bill,
I got a copy of that for a plaque when I left 053 in '88. I would like to have the names of those pictured. If you could send them to my email I would appreciate it.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 16:59   #52
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdret1 View Post
Bill,
I got a copy of that for a plaque when I left 053 in '88. I would like to have the names of those pictured. If you could send them to my email I would appreciate it.
Who gave you the plaque? I left 053, and the Army (retired), in December of 87 - missed out on that particular plaque - but the one I did get was pretty good.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50   #53
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who gave you the plaque? I left 053, and the Army (retired), in December of 87 - missed out on that particular plaque - but the one I did get was pretty good.
But you left before I did Chief. We picked up the print and had it signed by Havel when we were hanging around Tolz waiting to go to Belgium. It wasn't meant to be a plaque at that time. When I left the team, they put a plate on it and gave it to me. One of my favorites.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 22:12   #54
Coaster
Asset

I was part of Sig Platoon, actually I ran the Photo Section from 77 to 80. I remember we had an 05B named Tollefson who went on to the Teams. I found out later that all commo guys had to spend 6 months with Sig Platoon before going to the Teams. It is good to see some of the names on here as they bring back some great memories.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 22:52   #55
Sierra Bravo
Auxiliary

Vicenza?

Anyone remember Sapmaz?

Vicenza 70's ?

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Sierra Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 14:12   #56
Bennett
Quiet Professional

He taught German also

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
He also taught Czech...
LTC Jim Humphries had the eye patch and lived near one of the fisheries along one of our runs. He made a big impression on me when I first got to Tölz as a leg MP going through the 7th Army NCO academy. I heard he passes in the mid 90s. I knew SFC Gary Tollefson from Devens. Rick Cantu came back to Tölz as an officer in C Co, had a hard time of it that Company had a strange Company Commander with too much Ranger in him, drove everyone out. I was lucky to be in A Co and we were gone all the time, JCETs to Norway, Austria, France, Italy and so on or having fun sitting in holes for weeks watching cars go past and reporting them as Soviet Vehicles in the WESAW format on the DMDG. Better yet was the vehicle recognition course in Weingarten. Good times.
De Oppresso Liber
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25   #57
MVP
Quiet Professional

B-1-10

B Co. was very interesting in the days of Cantu and Miller. Never did understand if Cantu was a Tm Ldr or a Co. Exec. When things went well with his tm I think he was Tm Ldr, when not he was the Exec and the Tm Tech took the heat. Best was the initiation of the "Black Deuce" when the Co. went to Graf for Wpn tng, bunch of guys got to go home early and chill out (without other adverse action) for two weeks while the rest of suffered through from start to finish. There was one good idea from those days and that was the Guerrilla Exercise ran in the moutains around Tolz in the fall of 87. I didn't participate as I was PCSing so I don't know all the particulars but the concept was good. I do know some sheep died in the vicinity of Bldg 71 though. I believe it was torture, the opposite form of water-boarding...

MVP

Last edited by MVP; 03-31-2010 at 15:10.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57   #58
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I took the photograph that Havel used for the drawing. I never got a copy of the drawing but I have quite a few other drawings of his.

He was my Czech instructor as well. Good man!
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 19:17   #59
Lyndsay609
Asset

HELP PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen View Post
I took the photograph that Havel used for the drawing. I never got a copy of the drawing but I have quite a few other drawings of his.

He was my Czech instructor as well. Good man!

Does anyone know where I can get a print of this drawing (the meeting)?? I've been googling my butt off to no avail. My boyfriend's father is retired 10th group and I know this one is particularly meaningful to him. I'm not actually certain that "The Meeting" is the correct name (his mother said perhaps "The Partisan"?) All I know is the drawing in question they are sitting around a table, some in uniform and some not, looking over some plans/map. Sorry so vague. Trying to make this a surprise so I can't ask them too many questions!

Last edited by Lyndsay609; 07-24-2010 at 19:20.
Lyndsay609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 22:49   #60
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
LTC Jim Humphries had the eye patch and lived near one of the fisheries along one of our runs....Rick Cantu came back to Tölz as an officer in C Co.
I knew Jim Humphries when he was a Major and was the active advisor to 5/19 in Colorado in the mid 70s and then again in Bad Toelz when he was the Deputy Community Commander...good man...

Last edited by lksteve; 07-24-2010 at 22:56.