Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 08-15-2008, 12:13   #31
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdogs View Post
Porter was Medic on ODA316 with Charlie Brown and JW Martin. They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316...
Hmmm...when did that happen...? Looking at the dates on your profile, it seems like I was at Devens during your tenure...I wonder if it was in '79 after I wandered off the straight and narrow and went to OCS...?
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03   #32
Smithdogs
Asset

Flash

That was I think in 78. Everything was in "simulation" mode. 81mm, LAW, so people get bored.
I blew myself up in Germany improperly disposing of munitions, spent a week in Stuttgart Hospital (which is no more), they called me the "Flash" after that.
Teborg bierbaum was CO then.
I dated LTC Coasta's daughter once by accident, NEVER did that again, he was JUST a little pissed that some low life NCO was dating his daughter, maybe not NCO, just plain lowlife.

Smithdogs
Smithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 22:04   #33
alelks
Quiet Professional

WOW! I just came across this thread. JW of course is my half brother and retired (sort of) in San Antonio. He's been overseas over the last few years. He keeps saying this is his last huarah trip.

Charlie Brown was actually on my team in 5th SFG when I first came in (ODA 584)

I'm assuming we are talking about Charlie Brown who came from the Indian Reservation as he was also a friend of JW. I hadn't heard the story about the LAW. I'll have to ask him about that one.

AL
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 00:15   #34
Sidekey
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
Anyone remember a Bn Doc by the name of Tolafson? Met him at a drug rep dinner tonight, started talking, he knew I was still on active duty (no longer in SF) and eventually pried out from me my background, and fessed up to his.

Small world.

I remember Tolafson..if it's the same guy...was in Toelz in the early 70s...but don't remember him being a doc....blonde haired guy ...my memory was that he was a commo guy.
Old 01-08-2010, 00:19   #35
Sidekey
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
Hmmm...when did that happen...? Looking at the dates on your profile, it seems like I was at Devens during your tenure...I wonder if it was in '79 after I wandered off the straight and narrow and went to OCS...?
lk....we must have been on site at the same time....i got my launch to OCS from Toelz in Spring 1980...just after Bo Baker died. I remember someone else going before me....the people in personnel were absolutely clueless on how to put a packet together....
Old 01-08-2010, 00:33   #36
Sidekey
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
During my time in 1-10th, both Bn Cdrs were AHs (LTC Paul Hutton and LTC Jim Guest) and both SFDAE Cdrs were squared away (COL Big John Martina and COL Bo Baker). B TM Cdrs were Ranger Roach and Vladamir Sobichevsky, both good men.

Hutton--an India Delta 10 Tango of the first order--was investigated once for smuggling furniture back from England in one of the SigCo vans...which really sent him into a 'snorting' fit. I think he got away with it because they thought he was too dumb to know any better. I can't believe he made 0-6.

Richard
Another good man from that time was, then Captain Vilas Schafnet...probably screwed up the spelling. Ran into him years later in transit through Frankfurt ..had made light Colonel..
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00   #37
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekey View Post
I remember Tolafson..if it's the same guy...was in Toelz in the early 70s...but don't remember him being a doc....blonde haired guy ...my memory was that he was a commo guy.
The doc's name was Tollefson...had a pretty, Australian wife named Margaret...retired out of Madigan as a vascular surgeon, still in the Seattle area, last I heard...my ex keeps in touch with Margaret...tall, maybe 6'2" or so...

I got to Toelz in September of 1980...was in Vicenza prior to that...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 01-08-2010, 16:57   #38
Sidekey
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
The doc's name was Tollefson...had a pretty, Australian wife named Margaret...retired out of Madigan as a vascular surgeon, still in the Seattle area, last I heard...my ex keeps in touch with Margaret...tall, maybe 6'2" or so...

I got to Toelz in September of 1980...was in Vicenza prior to that...
Yes...different Tolefson....the guy i remember was a SSG when i left....had spent a short time in Signal Platoon waiting to go to a team... I was in Toelz from Jan 76 to April 80....then off to Benning's School for Boys...and girls by the time i got there.....best five years of my life in Toelz.. for sure...some great professionals...and then there some who were just "off the hook"....lol I went to Einzelkampfer Schule with ODA 4 in the winter of 76 at Altenstadt Schongau ....standing in the 20 man shower with Ivan Selides....Schoaf (both were big memorabilia freaks) They're singing Deutchland Uber Alles. One of the German Tac Officers sticks his head in (blond haired blue-eyed...looking like the poster child for the Aryan nation)...shakes his head and says, "Nazis, huh?"

Another time a special place....
Old 01-08-2010, 18:31   #39
Hartley
Quiet Professional

OCS

Sidekey, the guy who went to OCS from Toelz before you was a SSG named Cantu - I didn't know him all that well, but I do remember when he got selected.

You & I were at Toelz at the same time - I arrived Jan '76, tho I left in December '79 before you.. I was commo on ODA 5, ski instructor, etc..
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:32   #40
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
Sidekey, the guy who went to OCS from Toelz before you was a SSG named Cantu - I didn't know him all that well, but I do remember when he got selected.
I went to jump school with Ric...his brother was SF, too, as I recall...Cantu went to Berlin after OCS (he was finishing IOBC when Richard and I started) and wound up dating the daughter of Schoenenburg or one of the other fiefdoms...last time I saw him was at Bragg around 90-91...I think he was in SOSOC...
Old 01-08-2010, 19:53   #41
Sidekey
Asset

Quote:

You & I were at Toelz at the same time - I arrived Jan '76, tho I left in December '79 before you.. I was commo on ODA 5, ski instructor, etc..
Yes...i'm terrible with names...but now that you mention it...Cantu does ring that foggy bell in my head....good times
Old 01-08-2010, 21:02   #42
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Actually - it was me - Rick Cantu was in the class before mine - Rick went summer of '78 and I left Dec '78 for Jan-Apr '79 BIOCC w/lksteve.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:05   #43
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I went to jump school with Ric...last time I saw him was at Bragg around 90-91...
Rick and I knew each other in SFTG - Thailand - Tolz - OCS/IOBC - we were FAOs together in Europe and Rick was in Berlin 90-91 when I was at the AmEmbassy-Bonn - last time I saw him was FAO Conference at Chiemsee in Spring '91.

Those were the days...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 23:03   #44
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Sure wish I could find one of y'all who remembers ME Maybe one of these days one will turn up so TS will believe me..
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 23:14   #45
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sure wish I could find one of y'all who remembers ME Maybe one of these days one will turn up so TS will believe me..
PM me...