Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 06-18-2008, 12:10   #16
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
During my time in 1-10th, both Bn Cdrs were AHs (LTC Paul Hutton and LTC Jim Guest) and both SFDAE Cdrs were squared away (COL Big John Martina and COL Bo Baker). B TM Cdrs were Ranger Roach and Vladamir Sobichevsky, both good men.

Hutton--an India Delta 10 Tango of the first order--was investigated once for smuggling furniture back from England in one of the SigCo vans...which really sent him into a 'snorting' fit. I think he got away with it because they thought he was too dumb to know any better. I can't believe he made 0-6.

Richard
Hutton returned as the Det-Europe CDR as an 06 - Ugh!

I had dinner with Ron Clavert, his wife Jan, Duane Barber, and Eric Eckhart last April at Ft. Bragg. All are doing well.

LTC Jim Humphries was the deputy when I got to BT in 1981 - he wrote book on his Viet Nam tour - Through the Valley: Vietnam, 1967-1968. A good read.

As for Tollefson, he was a good doc and did enjoy skiing with us. Glad to hear that he is alive and well.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 19:28   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen View Post
Hutton returned as the Det-Europe CDR as an 06 - Ugh!
Glad I wasn't there for that one; I was in 1-7th then. Here's a great 'Snort' (Hutton's nickname 'cause he was always snorting and picking his nose) story.

Jimmy Johnson came to BT from 3-7th and, because of all the old friends from previous assignments, received an appropriately NaOH induced welcome to the FRG in the Rod and Gun Club. JJ was still pretty snockered and wasn't feeling all too well the next day when he reported in to Snort. JJ entered Snort's office to report as ordered, came to attention, saluted, and said, "Sir, Sergeant Johnson.....aaarrrrggghhhh..." as he threw up on Hutton's desk and Hutton. JJ became a hero to us younger NCOs, and Hutton and Preacher Hodge made his life miserable until they both left the command.

Anyone out there think you could get away with that today?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 19:34   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Glad I wasn't there for that one; I was in 1-7th then. Here's a great 'Snort' (Hutton's nickname 'cause he was always snorting and picking his nose) story.

Jimmy Johnson came to BT from 3-7th and, because of all the old friends from previous assignments, received an appropriately NaOH induced welcome to the FRG in the Rod and Gun Club. JJ was still pretty snockered and wasn't feeling all too well the next day when he reported in to Snort. JJ entered Snort's office to report as ordered, came to attention, saluted, and said, "Sir, Sergeant Johnson.....aaarrrrggghhhh..." as he threw up on Hutton's desk and Hutton. JJ became a hero to us younger NCOs, and Hutton and Preacher Hodge made his life miserable until they both left the command.

Richard

You guys actually drank lye?

Dayum!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 19:40   #19
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if someone gathered all the paperclips in the headquarters and put them under the rug in the CSM's office...?

Or...made night deposits in his desk drawer...?

That said, I got along alright with Snort...it's easy when you don't much give a...rat's back...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 19:54   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You guys actually drank lye?

Dayum!

TR
TR-

Nope--but we used the NaOh annotation vs EtOH as an in-house shorthand on med charts when somebody had been drinking way too much 'rot gut' and needed serious Rx. Old medic jokes never die...they are just broken down by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (like methanol in the liver)...forming formic acid and formaldehyde...and becoming embalmed in our failing memories.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 06-18-2008, 19:56   #21
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Old medic jokes never die...they are just broken down by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (like methanol in the liver)...forming formic acid and formaldehyde...and becoming embalmed in our failing memories.
Shucks...I need a beer...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 06-18-2008, 20:00   #22
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
Shucks...I need a beer...
And I'll drink to that! Anybody got a cold Rosenheimerbrau, Auerbrau, or Grunerbrau for thirsty soldier?

Richard

Old 06-18-2008, 22:28   #23
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
7th SOSC(TA) replaced ARSOFE just prior to the move from Bad Toelz to Stuttgart. The long name was Special Operations Support Command (Theater Army). They deactivated all the SOSC's in 1995/1996.

Ah yes, the wonderful days of LTC M.......... .
When I was dating my (now) wife, we were down in Charleston (where she lived) on a dinner cruise. We shared a table with a young couple - the guy was a Citadel Cadet in uniform. WHen my wife proudly informed him of my previous affiliation, the cadet asked me if I knew LTC M, who was then an instructor there. I believe the next statement was "what the hell is UP with that guy anyway....."

Or when on the bus ready to leave for the airport, for the recovery mission in Croatia to pick the secretary of commerce & the rest of the bodies from the plance crash at Dubrovnik... he gets on the bus before it leaves to see us off and offer us some motivating parting words..... "Don't embarrass me" was my recollection of what we got.

Yeah, he was a piece of work alright.

Oops, am I venting still?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:39   #24
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
And I'll drink to that! Anybody got a cold Rosenheimerbrau, Auerbrau, or Grunerbrau for thirsty soldier?

Richard
None of those brands... But I do have a stash of Reutberg Helles, Dunkel and Josefi Bock. It's the beverage of choice for a hot day or any day for that matter.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:46   #25
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
When I was dating my (now) wife, we were down in Charleston (where she lived) on a dinner cruise. We shared a table with a young couple - the guy was a Citadel Cadet in uniform. WHen my wife proudly informed him of my previous affiliation, the cadet asked me if I knew LTC M, who was then an instructor there. I believe the next statement was "what the hell is UP with that guy anyway....."

Or when on the bus ready to leave for the airport, for the recovery mission in Croatia to pick the secretary of commerce & the rest of the bodies from the plance crash at Dubrovnik... he gets on the bus before it leaves to see us off and offer us some motivating parting words..... "Don't embarrass me" was my recollection of what we got.

Yeah, he was a piece of work alright.

Oops, am I venting still?

Ha, ha.... I think that was LTC B and his wife (AKA the spandex queen) in 1996. God, I still have nightmares thinking about her in spandex riding a bicycle on post, and the comment made "Hey does that bike have a seat on it??" Other than the SF Ball, I don't remember seeing her in anything but spandex....

Of course then you add in the "Troll" and his uniform policy... Beret worn on the Kaserne, patrol cap from the front gate to the woodline, black watchcap can be worn inside the treeline. For christsakes, we're doing a frigging ruckmarch...

As for LTC M, we sent him off to 1st SFG and shared the pain with them..
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 13:55   #26
Smithdogs
Asset

Since you speaking about German Beer

Monksbrau, best in Bravaria, flippers! Always remember the 2 sections in a German restaurant, smoking and chain smoking.
Went to Toltz when Aldo Moro got kidnapped and killed by the brigada rosa. Woke up on one of the benchs by the indoor pool, someone went off the diving board and scared the S#$t out of me. Thanks Stewart Karnes for a German Welcome.

OK, I am sorry for trespassing, but do ANY of you medics remember Robert Porter?

Sorry to bother you all.

Smithdogs
Smithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 14:18   #27
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdogs View Post
Thanks Stewart Karnes for a German Welcome.
Stew Carnes...engineer on ODA 123 during my tenure as commander....Robert Porter rings a bell, but then again, my ears ring a lot these days...
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25   #28
Smithdogs
Asset

Thanks

Appreceate the holler back. Stew went through with another friend of mine. Stew was Honor Grad at the NCO academy there at Tolz. He introduced me to scnapps from the freezer, Lowenbrau, and puke-through-the-nose.
Porter was Medic on ODA316 with Charlie Brown and JW Martin. They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316 that went through 3 walll lockers and all of Lennie Mederos's BDU's that were neatly hanging. He screemed like a wet cat for months. I though it was funny as hell. But then weapons' guys are all sick.
Safehouse in AZ.

Smithdogs
Smithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:31   #29
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
......................... Porter was Medic on ODA316 with Charlie Brown and JW Martin. They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316 that went through 3 walll lockers and all of Lennie Mederos's BDU's that were neatly hanging. He screemed like a wet cat for months. I though it was funny as hell. But then weapons' guys are all sick.
Safehouse in AZ.

Smithdogs
I was upstairs when that happened. We were sitting around and suddenly it was, "What the hell was that?"

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48   #30
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316 that went through 3 walll lockers and all of Lennie Mederos's BDU's that were neatly hanging. He screemed like a wet cat for months. I though it was funny as hell. But then weapons' guys are all sick.
Safehouse in AZ.

Smithdogs

I thought Rocket Rondiak got credit for that.