Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 06-11-2008, 23:12   #1
RichL025
Quiet Professional

10th groupers in the late 70s, early 80s

Anyone remember a Bn Doc by the name of Tolafson? Met him at a drug rep dinner tonight, started talking, he knew I was still on active duty (no longer in SF) and eventually pried out from me my background, and fessed up to his.

Small world.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Tollefson was the Det Europe surgeon 79-82 or so...our wives still exchange Christmas cards...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 21:33   #3
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Yeah, he's a general surgeon up here in the pacific NW now. He knows some of the older staff surgeons at my program here at Madigan (Ft Lewis). Nice guy, wish I had more of a chance to talk with him last night. We did share, though, that both of us learned to ski in 10th Group with mountaineering boots and crappy NATO-spec skis <g>.
Old 06-12-2008, 21:34   #4
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
We did share, though, that both of us learned to ski in 10th Group with mountaineering boots and crappy NATO-spec skis
Who said he could ski...?
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 06-12-2008, 21:40   #5
RichL025
Quiet Professional

*snort* - the same chucklehead who claimed _I_ could
Old 06-12-2008, 21:43   #6
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
*snort* - the same chucklehead who claimed _I_ could
Det Europe guys were funny...they would strap hang with the cool training....especially the downhill ski training...never saw them when the rucksacks came out... (said somewhat tongue in cheek...)
Old 06-12-2008, 21:45   #7
RichL025
Quiet Professional

What exactly do you mean by Det Europe? Was that what was later called "Berlin detachment?" (Crap, there was another name for it that escapes me. It was shut down in the late 80s IIRC - one of the older chiefs in my company did time there)
Old 06-12-2008, 21:48   #8
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by Det Europe? Was that what was later called "Berlin detachment?" (Crap, there was another name for it that escapes me. It was shut down in the late 80s IIRC - one of the older chiefs in my company did time there)
No...that was Det A...Special Forces Detachment-Europe was the O6 level command at Bad Toelz, allegedly there to provide supervision over 1st Battalion...don't know when they went out of business, to tell the truth...they were still under the impression they were running the show in '83 when I left...
Old 06-12-2008, 23:03   #9
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Ah yes, that's right... it was Det-A I was thinking of.

When I was in 1-10 the O6 level command organization was... SOF-CE, SOF-TE, something like that... it actually didn't get in our way too much. The )6 was a guy who was liked alot better than our Bn O5 because the latter was a tool of the very first caliber. Calvert was the O6, the O5 shall remain nameless for professionalism's sakes....
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41   #10
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Calvert was the O6, the O5 shall remain nameless for professionalism's sakes....
Calvert was the SFD(A)E S3, later the C Company commander when I was there...good man...nice car...
Old 06-14-2008, 10:55   #11
Judgeroybean
Quiet Professional

I seem to recall we called em the " Dead A team".
Judgeroybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 15:31   #12
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
Who said he could ski...?
Probably the same guys who said I could ski too...

odd how most of the C/2 ski instructors came from 1/10 - and were on the bubble team...

Send the Doc my way - SFA Ch XVI needs new members...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 19:00   #13
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

During that time frame COL Hutton was the was ARSOF(E) Cdr. Quiet the tool, as I had the opportunity to stand before him for several hours (it seemed) as he chewed my backside. He had the MPs come to my quarters and bring me to his office in what ever I wearing. LTC Lehue was his deputy and a tool also.

Did not know the Surgeon.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor E. Frankl
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 18:43   #14
Stras
Quiet Professional

7th SOSC(TA) replaced ARSOFE just prior to the move from Bad Toelz to Stuttgart. The long name was Special Operations Support Command (Theater Army). They deactivated all the SOSC's in 1995/1996.

Ah yes, the wonderful days of LTC M.......... and wondering which FM you'd get questioned on..... God forbid you had a BAR in your team room...
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:50   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
During that time frame COL Hutton was the was ARSOF(E) Cdr. Quiet the tool, ..
During my time in 1-10th, both Bn Cdrs were AHs (LTC Paul Hutton and LTC Jim Guest) and both SFDAE Cdrs were squared away (COL Big John Martina and COL Bo Baker). B TM Cdrs were Ranger Roach and Vladamir Sobichevsky, both good men.

Hutton--an India Delta 10 Tango of the first order--was investigated once for smuggling furniture back from England in one of the SigCo vans...which really sent him into a 'snorting' fit. I think he got away with it because they thought he was too dumb to know any better. I can't believe he made 0-6.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote