Asset

wooden indian

camp upshur, that sure looks like it, although the pic is not very sharp
Old 03-16-2008, 11:51   #17
camp upshur
Asset

Perhaps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th SFG wood statue.jpg (35.5 KB, 189 views)
camp upshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:35   #18
Stras
Quiet Professional

SF Wooden Indian

Brothers,

The SF Wooden Indian moved to Stuttgart in 1991 with the 1st Bn, 10th SFG. It is displayed in the Bn HQ for all to see.

While Sebastian Demmel did not carve the original SF Wooden Indian, he has made "Dr type housecalls" to repair it as needed.

On a side note, The big rock from Flint Kaserne made the move as well... It's right next to the flag pole outside 1-10th. I wasn't stationed at Bad Tolz, but from what I understand from all who were there, it was on the parade field by the flag pole there.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:38   #19
Stras
Quiet Professional

Statue Size

The statue in Stuttgart stands over 7ft tall with the base. Base is about 18" tall, with a brass plaque listing the names of fallen 10th SFG(A) Europe members. I have pics of the plaque if anyone is interested.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 15:43   #20
skydoc60A5G
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp upshur View Post
Perhaps...
Is this a current pic taken in Stuttgart or one previoulsy taken in BT at Flint? It sure looks like the one I saw on my first visit in 1973...see my post in the 10th SF thread. Could it be the one??

Thanks for jogging my memory...

"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto."
skydoc60A5G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:25   #21
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
On a side note, The big rock from Flint Kaserne made the move as well... It's right next to the flag pole outside 1-10th. I wasn't stationed at Bad Tolz, but from what I understand from all who were there, it was on the parade field by the flag pole there.
Looking through my old photos I found this. It's from the Desert Storm welcome home ceremony at Flint Kaserne. I have many more, but you see alot of faces on there, and since I don't know who of the guys is still on AD I won't post them for PERSEC reasons. If any of the QP's on here care to have them I'd be happy to email/send them to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flint073.jpg (186.3 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by mike-munich; 04-08-2008 at 06:36.
mike-munich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 00:34   #22
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

It is sitting inside our HQ down the hall from the BN Commander. Its about 5 feet or so tall with the rope and moutaint ruck.
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 19:33   #23
orko
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
It is sitting inside our HQ down the hall from the BN Commander. Its about 5 feet or so tall with the rope and moutaint ruck.
I dont beileve that is the same one jon is talking about, COL Vernon E. Greene, 10th SFGA Commander in 1969 designed a coin (the first SF challenge coin) in which was used as a fund raiser to help purchase a German Wood Carved Special Forces Trooper that was in it's glass home with special temp and humidity controls.

I don't remember seeing any statue with special temp and humidity controls.

however, I do remember the statue Stras is refering to, shining the brass plate was one of the CQ duties

A picture of the origional coin can be found by doing a google search of history of the challenge coin, but there is no reference as to where the origional statue ended up.

Last edited by orko; 10-24-2008 at 19:48.
orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21   #24
tolzerman
Quiet Professional

Wooden Indian

The "Wooden Indian" SF statue that was in the Bn HQ at Flint was moved to Panzer Kaserne in 1991 when we made the trail of tears move to Boeblingen. It is still in the BN HQ building though I believe it's in the Command Suite instead of the main Hallway. Not completely sure anymore as I left 1-10 in '03 for Carson. I know it went walkabout a couple of times from the end of the hallway to the Command Suite during my tenure there. The statue here at Group Main is not the same one from Tolz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wooden Indian 3 - 1991.jpg (64.6 KB, 82 views)
" Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me. " George Orwell

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell
tolzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 00:51   #25
Sidekey
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp upshur View Post
Perhaps...
Here's a partial view of the "Indian" circa Jan 80.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6 Bo Baker CSM Morrell copy.jpg (84.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-14-2010, 21:42   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Sent to me today via email.... Thank you Bud. Team Sergeant

"Referring to the dialogue on your website regarding the wooden statue of a Special Forces member, here's what my Dad told me.

By way of background, my Dad was Colonel Selby F. ("Buster") Little, Jr., who was a Captain with the 10th Special Forces at the Flint Kaserne (along with Major General Michael Healy and LTG David E. Grange, Jr., father of Major General David L. Grange, who were also Captains at the time). Dad later commanded the 10th Special Forces Group as one of his last assignments before retiring in 1977.

Dad told me that the carved statue was the work of a German artist. There was one at Fort Devens and, from your members comments, there may have been a second at the Flint Kaserne. Dad also told me that the artist carved the statue from the likeness of LTC Martin R. Beck, who was killed in action in Vietnam in 1969.

So, the statue(s) was (were) probably commissioned between 1969 and 1972 (when I personally saw the one at Fort Devens).

Although he was a great patriot, the only information I can find regarding LTC Beck is on the attached website link http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mrbeck.htm . He was survived by his wife Nancy and two sons (Martin and Mark).

I'm not a member of your site, so I can't post this. If you would be so kind as to do so, some of your other members may appreciate it."

Respectfully submitted,

Selby F. ("Bud") Little, III
Old 07-15-2010, 01:14   #27
mike-munich
Guerrilla

TS, thank you very much for sharing Mr. Littles mail.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:03   #28
skydoc60A5G
Asset

I recently had the opportunity to spring a surprise coin check on a rather unsuspecting but well prepared (what else?) 10th Group Retired Officer, who immediately slapped his well worn coin on my desk...Sterling Silver...Has anyone else seen one of these?

"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto."
skydoc60A5G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09   #29
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Like this one? Received that from 1/10 in Bad Tölz in `87 or `88.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2280.jpg (60.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03   #30
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Yep. I got one in Incirlik Turkey in 1994 if IRCC. I couldn't afford solid gold at the time.

"nobody understands Thomas except Thomas," Rudyard Kipling, Soldiers Three
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote