BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

8 Foods That Will Cost More This Fall

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...Cost-More-Fall

BMT
Old 09-12-2014, 05:27   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
Thanks,

WOW,, At least they didn't list Whisky..
I'll be stocking up on Bacon & Chocolate, and the others..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:10   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

At Costco and Sam's bacon goes for a bout $6.00 a pound for the good thick cut product... Considering my 3 year old granddaughter ate 6 pieces of bacon yesterday at breakfast, I'll go broke in no time...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:11   #4
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

Shopping at Cosctco now, Kirkland brand butter is up to 2.87lb. Hope we get a lot of snow this year. Thank you for the heads up BMT.

Edited to add: Grocery Outlet has great deals on some food items. There are stores located in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington (taken from their page here). Some bulk items (boxed and canned) are better than half of what you might pay at Costco. The inventory changes at the store I shop at, not sure what it's like at their other stores.

Last edited by Lan; 09-12-2014 at 12:05.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 14:22   #5
Flagg
Area Commander

Interesting article on the US Family Budget over the last 100 years:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...budget/255475/

1900: 43% of family budget spent on food

1950: 30% of family budget spent on food

2003: 13% of family budget spent on food.

2020: ??? but I suspect the end of cheap energy that underpins cheap food will see this % rise over time with energy prices above the level of wage inflation

But I don't see it being some sort of apocalyptic or even 1930's worst of the Depression-like outcome(well...certainly possible, but I wouldn't put it in the highly likely category yet).

I see family budgets squeezing out a fair bit of the leisure spending we have come to expect.

I think a lot of people look back fondly with rose tinted glasses at periods in the past.

Who'd a thunk folks spent nearly 1/3 of their budget on food in the awesome 50's?

If future leadership can get a handle on the BS with excessively cheap credit specifically around housing/health care/education prices(they've all been out of control well above rates of inflation), then food price increases tied to cheap energy going away can more easily be absorbed in the family budget.

Just my 0.02c

Anyone here near good spots in the US for shooting pigs?

We've got heaps in NZ, so free bacon in exchange for walking around with a rifle for a bit. Although I'm not that good at butchering a pig for bacon, I have to use a home kill butcher for the harder stuff.

They taste awesome when they feed off of fruit trees! Not so much when they feed off of scrubby stuff though.

If AQ/IS were heading for Ghana, I'd be volunteering to protect the cocoa plantations. I visited some cocoa growing spots in Southwest Pacific and had a chance to try eating the raw mucus-y bit in the pod with the cocoa beans...not bad.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 16:20   #6
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Thanks,

WOW,, At least they didn't list Whisky..
I'll be stocking up on Bacon & Chocolate, and the others..
It has been a sad state of affairs since I became aware of my allergy to processed meats. Anything packaged in plastic I have become highly allergic to, not the meat, but mainly, the saltpeter and antibacterial agents.

It's ridiculously laborious making my own pork sausage and bacon. It's not less expensive either.

Still good with chocolate.
Old 09-12-2014, 16:27   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Devil View Post
It has been a sad state of affairs since I became aware of my allergy to processed meats. Anything packaged in plastic I have become highly allergic to, not the meat, but mainly, the saltpeter and antibacterial agents.

It's ridiculously laborious making my own pork sausage and bacon. It's not less expensive either.

Still good with chocolate.
It wasn't expensive to kill hogs and put up bacon, fatback, sausage, hams, etc. in the smokehouse.

Sounds like you need to find a local farmer.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 17:45   #8
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Butter and Bacon hits me where I live. Well, no more, shit I don't go on vacations, don't drink, don't smoke (anymore), don't go to movies, what the hell am I going to give up?
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 17:52   #9
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
Butter and Bacon hits me where I live. Well, no more, shit I don't go on vacations, don't drink, don't smoke (anymore), don't go to movies, what the hell am I going to give up?
Donating sperm...apparently can be fatal.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 22:32   #10
mark46th
Quiet Professional

TR- I have about 50 pounds of wild pork left in the freezer. I'll be making some more sausage in about a month, when the present supply of Hot Links, Italian and Brats is used up. Also have about 30 pounds of Yellowtail in there, too. Catch 'em, skin 'em and eat 'em!!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 15:57   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Anyone that calls Hershey's "chocolate" is a food amateur.

It about as chocolate as Mcdonalds is hamburgers....... well, unless you like processed foods/candy......
Old 09-15-2014, 09:35   #12
Loadsmasher
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Anyone that calls Hershey's "chocolate" is a food amateur.

It about as chocolate as Mcdonalds is hamburgers....... well, unless you like processed foods/candy......
It's crazy how much processed food is a caricature of real food items. Hershey's is great example, Starbucks too.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:10   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsmasher View Post
It's crazy how much processed food is a caricature of real food items. Hershey's is great example, Starbucks too.

No just about ALL corporate food is processed..........

http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/ingredientstatement

How many ingredients do you think there should be in your Taco Bell "BEEF" (just the beef)

Beef, Water, Seasoning [Cellulose, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Salt, Oats (Contains Wheat), Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Soy Lecithin, Tomato Powder, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract (Contains Gluten), Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Trehalose, Modified Corn Starch, Inactivated Yeast, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Less Than 2% Beef Broth, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Lactate. CONTAINS: SOYBEANS, WHEAT.

Or McDonalds food.

BIG MAC BUN:
Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose
Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate,
Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and
Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Calcium Propionate and/or
Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin, Sesame Seed.
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND SOY LECITHIN.

When I prepare my food I tend to stay away from the added chemicals....... and my breads usually only have about 6 ingredients, flour, salt, sugar, yeast, eggs, butter and milk. Go ahead and count the ingredients in a BIG MAC BUN.........

This is why I don't eat "corporate food".......
Old 09-18-2014, 19:43   #14
Trappertod
Asset

WOW this is a great thread and thanks for the info. Here in eastern NC the beef prices continue to increase as well as pork. This year I plan to tag out with deer and makes lots of hamburger and sausage. Hopefully I can add a wild porker or 2 to the freezer too.
Trappertod is offline   Reply With Quote