Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Feather

Old 04-30-2010, 20:30   #1
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Gobblers here, there, everywhere

Hit the woods bright and early this morning, moon was bright at 5am on a cool morning. Grabbed my gear and headed to my favorite turkey hole. Got set up and kicked back into the woods in plenty of time b4 daybreak. Shortly after daybreak I took my box call and made a light come here call. GObble, Gobble...man that bird isn't much over 100 yards. I grabbed my mouth call, I've been practicing and ready for em, I give em a sweet come mere. Gobble, man that dude struck it every time I did and often double gobbled. Man I have him hooked.

After about 10 minutes of this I hear another 'Gobble far to my left in the swamp. Oh boy 2 birds Gobbling....what a great morning. I continue to call every few minutes and see who's still interested. Gobbling all the way...both still. The swamp bird hushes, but the close bird is still hammering Gobble. After about short time I hear something behind me. I ease around to see 3 Jakes about 15 yards from me and a few other birds farther back into the woods. They caught my movement but didn't run. They eased off towards the bigger bird gobbling. I called a few more times and all 3 Jakes will gobble at the same time. Along with the bigger bird. Not bad 4 toms hammering about 100 yards from me.

Then I heard the jakes and a few more birds heading back into the swamp. Couldn't see em but could hear them Putt....I;d hit the call and they would gobble like crazy. Well now to settle back on the closer bird. I called and he would gobble. Then I heard another bird across the field gobble.

Man, another bird....I was stoked. A few minutes later he showed himself in the field about 200 yards away...he came about 100 yards or so and just strutted. Man what a great big bird, long thick beard. He just strutted and moved around the far side of the field and gobble.

Here come the birds that started close to me that morning. Another big bird and a hen and a Jake. He heads straight for the bird in the field. That one folded up his strut and ran away. The others followed....whew two big birds...nothing to show for the morning.

Grabbed the decoys and started home. Passed a small field road and there they stood by a downed tree gobbling. I passed by and grabbed the binos, a decoy and gun. Eased up and watched the 2 toms strut and push each other around. When they went behind the tree I ran out and put out a decoy and ran across the road in a ditch.

Got into position and called...gobble...gobble....call again...gobble gobble. Then silence. I stood quitely in the shade and thought...last birds came thru the woods and I turned and checked the woods out. Nothing, then turned around and ol and behold...there he was....getting the heck out of dodge...not 15 yards from me. He saw me turn in the ditch and was about in full run When I turned around...no shot possible...

No bird to show for today, but its not everyday the birds are willing to Gobble all morning and to have 6 Toms calling back at ya..All in all a fantastic day...can't wait for tomorrow morning.

<*)))))>{
Old 04-30-2010, 20:37   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Habu:

Sounds like you needed better security and a few Claymores for your roadside ambush.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 21:52   #3
craigepo
Quiet Professional

That sounded like a great turkey hunt. 6 gobblers going would be some serious sensory overload.

I can't count the number of times I have been busted by turkeys. Amazing how good their eyes and ears are. Turkey hunting should count toward validation, or an EIB, or something.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:03   #4
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

Smile thug

Last year I was a "Turkey Thug", hunted the 1st day and harvested a 4 bearded turkey. On my second hunt I my dove stool busted and I hit the ground with turkeys in the decoys...hunt over. On the 3rd and last hunt I harvested a 2 bearded turkey. Great year....this year I guess I'll be a "Turkey's Arse"

Habu
Old 05-01-2010, 07:00   #5
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Are you hunting public or private land?

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 15:19   #6
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

HABU

Quote:
Couldn't see em but could hear them Putt...
Next time, try not calling when theyre in this mode. Putt or Purr to them. Your telling them everything is safe and fine. The other option is to give an excited hen call. If there is a longbeard with them, and he's either already consumated his friendship with the present hen or she has given him the cold shoulder, the excited hen sounds like heaven to him.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 15:07   #7
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

Sorry for the late comeback..I'm hunting private land. I don't believe anyone but me hunts it. These fields are about 1 1/2 mile off the highway and make some great turkey or deer areas...