In pictures: Haiti clashes

In pictures: Haiti clashes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11790562

I would say something - but...
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:01   #2
rdret1
Quiet Professional

This has been a hellish year for Haiti. They just have not been able to catch a break. Earthquakes, hurricanes, disease, riots; what's next?

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:12   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdret1 View Post
This has been a hellish year for Haiti. They just have not been able to catch a break. Earthquakes, hurricanes, disease, riots; what's next?
How about century? Should turn Haiti into the UN HQ.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:51   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

We need to remove every one from the country and go in and replant it and let nature take its course for about 50 yrs+.

Do like we did in Liberia/Monrovia. Move them to Africa after a new city is built and let them have a chance to start over. Then if they destroy it then just toooooo bad.

Just my take on things there. They will never fix stupid and that country is just ...... You know.

And before any PC people jump in and thrash me for this DON'T. Go there like I have and see it for your self.

Oh after the island re vegetates it might make a good vacation dive resort location and eco reserve for the Caribbean.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 13:10   #5
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
We need to remove every one from the country and go in and replant it and let nature take its course for about 50 yrs+.

Do like we did in Liberia/Monrovia. Move them to Africa after a new city is built and let them have a chance to start over. Then if they destroy it then just toooooo bad.

Just my take on things there. They will never fix stupid and that country is just ...... You know.

And before any PC people jump in and thrash me for this DON'T. Go there like I have and see it for your self.

Oh after the island re vegetates it might make a good vacation dive resort location and eco reserve for the Caribbean.
We'd have to import fish to regenerate the stocks, they've eaten everything bigger than your thumbnail.

And... the "Haiti of the U.S." - New Orleans! (Where they are boiling their water today because "power failed" at the water plant... and all three back-up generators failed, too!)
Old 11-21-2010, 15:41   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Concur.

You can't fix stupid, though we seem willing to spend a ton of money, both domestically and overseas, trying to do so.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 17:26   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
We'd have to import fish to regenerate the stocks, they've eaten everything bigger than your thumbnail.

And... the "Haiti of the U.S." - New Orleans! (Where they are boiling their water today because "power failed" at the water plant... and all three back-up generators failed, too!)
After a No Go zone for 50+ years you will be surprised how fast the marine life might come back.

Like I said before Take them ALL Out and let the place recover. Hell there are enough tree huggers out there that would love to go down and plant trees. We contract the Dominicans to do demolition and clean up so when we open it up in 50+ years all you get is nature............ Hell this sounds like a good project for Clinton. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and a great scientific area to do recovery studies while it is human free.

Just think of the savings with the USCG......... We would free up all those assets that have to patrol for the boat people. CBP reduced work load also processing them and returning them to HAITI.
Old 11-21-2010, 18:42   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
After a No Go zone for 50+ years you will be surprised how fast the marine life might come back.

Like I said before Take them ALL Out and let the place recover. Hell there are enough tree huggers out there that would love to go down and plant trees. We contract the Dominicans to do demolition and clean up so when we open it up in 50+ years all you get is nature............ Hell this sounds like a good project for Clinton. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and a great scientific area to do recovery studies while it is human free.

Just think of the savings with the USCG......... We would free up all those assets that have to patrol for the boat people. CBP reduced work load also processing them and returning them to HAITI.
I completely agree with Bryan,makes sense to me......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 18:53   #9
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:

I agree.

But....I don't think I would want to do any diving off the coast of Haiti any time even in the distant future without some full coverage bio suit.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 19:07   #10
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
I agree.

But....I don't think I would want to do any diving off the coast of Haiti any time even in the distant future without some full coverage bio suit.
Me neithor........ I am content with diving over here in our dirty PR waters.

Let the EcoGeeks do the diving over there for the next 50+ years.........
Old 11-21-2010, 22:58   #11
Guy
Quiet Professional

LMMFAO!

Quote:
I'd say, bring back Baby Doc Duvalier.

Our effort to bring democracy to some countries are misconstrued as a reason to pilferage the money we donate especially, by those we trust too lead these governments we back...

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 00:28   #12
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

My senior 18D had a great idea when we were there in 1995. Someone needs to introduce a top predator to Haiti. Something like the Indo-Pacific salt water crocodile. That would definitely put a dent in the population problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57   #13
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, I say lets write good 'ol Bill Clinton.....isn't Haiti his bailywick/"pet project" ????

I'm sure he's all over it.

Oh....where's all that worldy help/goods that arrived after the hurricane????...how long has it been????
Old 11-22-2010, 07:23   #14
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Well, I say lets write good 'ol Bill Clinton.....isn't Haiti his bailywick/"pet project" ????

I'm sure he's all over it.

Oh....where's all that worldy help/goods that arrived after the hurricane????...how long has it been????
Still in warehouses......
Old 11-22-2010, 08:44   #15
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Still in warehouses......
probably so...that's where the Somalis stored all the aid that was sent to them prior to Restore Hope...went into one warehouse that smelled like a malthouse...barley and millet doesn't store well in humid climates...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote