Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 08-22-2004, 10:21   #1
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Spondylolisthesis/Back issue

I saw Para's thread and did not want to clutter it but if you feel this belongs there I understand if you move it.

I am post op L5/S1 spondylolisthesis (17 months) and in late May early June some of the symptoms came back such as the numbness in the leg and shooting pain in the lower back. Doc put me back on a pain management routine but after 2 months the pain had not diminished as we thought it might. They did an MRI about a week ago and it came back with some new issues. They told me that I had some form of arthritis but I like a jackass did not write it down. I am fairly certain that it began with an "A" but was not ankylosing spondylitis (or osteoarthritis) and cannot seem to find anything else that matches on sites like www.spineuniverse.com.

They started me on the medrol pack as well as some muscle relaxers and narcotics as needed (rarely.) I will see the doc again late this week and in the meantime I was hoping maybe one of the docs here would shed some light for me. Is there another 'itis" that would effect the lower back?
brewmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:50   #2
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Found it!

Arachnoiditis. Seems that it was most likely a by-product of all shots and/or surgery that I have had. Most likely cause was a myleogram that I had done prior to the surgery.

Now that I am confident that this is what the nurse told me is there any suggestions or a course of action I should bring up with my physician?
brewmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 16:13   #3
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

speak to a neurosurgeon....you got me on that one.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote