Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 10-22-2018, 08:26   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

downrange leftover gourmet

So what to do when:
- You already keep your body engaged by exercise every day
- You already keep your mind engaged by studying foreign language and relations
- Going outside in armored vehicle gets old because although you blend well with the locals, the armor gave you away
- Local food had given you twice the worst fever-chills-butt-pee despite having iron stomach
- Your colleagues dumped their leftover to you, knowing you have been the refrigerator "cleaner" who don't let anything go to waste
....and you still have plenty leftover time?

Well, one learns to cook, and cook, and cook some more. I gave up my PRS platform, range finder, pistol, armorer kit and ammo for wisk, spatula, oven, and pan. Far be it to me to claim as anything remotely close to a chef, but I'd say a chemical engineer can apply simple heat exchange and fluid dynamics concepts to turn various ingredients to solid delicacies

- Vanilla coconut ice cream with toasted coconut shreds and pecan and dark/white choc drizzle and caramel font
- Praline coconut popcorn in caramel nest
- Hainan chicken
- Almond/coconut whole wheat crepe with nutella-walnut and creamcheese-strawberry fillings
- Well done and medium rare tenderloin (had to use the dumb proof searing then oven in foil)
- usw

The desserts alone are well worth it in an estrogen rich environment , where I had to "win hearts" and get plenty free-pass/forgiveness card. The meat (and beer/wine/liquor) are great to build rapport. The leftovers (quinoa, chia seeds, brown rice, gluten free stuff) from the health fanatic are great to ensure I live to 100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adieu.jpg (89.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg coconut ice cream drizzle.jpg (45.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hainan.jpg (18.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg popcnest.jpg (95.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg undercut.jpg (87.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg crepe.jpg (129.5 KB, 33 views)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 10-22-2018 at 08:32.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:28   #2
rsdengler
Area Commander

Nice.... Stop teasing...LOL

I'll take the Almond/coconut whole wheat crepe with nutella-walnut and creamcheese-strawberry fillings....that would last me for a few days....along with strong coffee of course..... Then I would need to add more time to my daily exercise routine....Ha.....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:47   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post

- Vanilla coconut ice cream with toasted coconut shreds and pecan and dark/white choc drizzle and caramel font
- Praline coconut popcorn in caramel nest
- Hainan chicken
- Almond/coconut whole wheat crepe with nutella-walnut and creamcheese-strawberry fillings
- Well done and medium rare tenderloin (had to use the dumb proof searing then oven in foil)
- usw

The desserts alone are well worth it in an estrogen rich environment , where I had to "win hearts" and get plenty free-pass/forgiveness card.

The meat (and beer/wine/liquor) are great to build rapport.

The leftovers (quinoa, chia seeds, brown rice, gluten free stuff) from the health fanatic are great to ensure I live to 100
Awesome, If you need a teaster??

May I suggest an option for the LEFT-Overs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cp1.jpg (48.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cp2.jpg (84.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cp3.jpg (9.6 KB, 26 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 21:38   #4
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
but I'd say a chemical engineer can apply simple heat exchange and fluid dynamics concepts to turn various ingredients to solid delicacies
For $10K, what is Modernist Cuisine?
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15   #5
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Please donate my $10K to the Green Beret Foundation in my uncles name - you can private message me for his details. Thanks for that ! Exceedingly generous !

https://modernistcuisine.com/

10 Principles of
Modernist Cuisine

What is modernist cuisine? That is the single most common question we are asked. When writing Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking, we arrived at the term because it most completely captured the impetus and cultural significance of a revolution underway in the culinary arts. Here we offer ten principles of the Modernist movement.

Cuisine is a creative art in which the chef and diner are in dialogue. Food is the primary medium for this dialogue, but all sensory aspects of the dining experience contribute to it.

Culinary rules, conventions, and traditions must be understood, but they should not be allowed to hinder the development of creative new dishes.

Creatively breaking culinary rules and traditions is a powerful way to engage diners and make them think about the dining experience.

Diners have expectations—some explicit, some implicit—of what sort of food is possible. Surprising them with food that defies their expectations is another way to engage them intellectually. This includes putting familiar flavors in unfamiliar forms or the converse.

In addition to surprise, many other emotions, reactions, feelings, and thoughts can be elicited by cuisine. These include humor, whimsy, satire, and nostalgia, among others. The repertoire of the Modernist chef isn’t just flavor and texture; it is also the range of emotional and intellectual reactions that food can inspire in the diner.

Creativity, novelty, and invention are intrinsic to the chef’s role. When one borrows techniques and ideas or gains inspiration from other chefs or other sources that should be acknowledged.

Science and technology are sources that can be tapped to enable new culinary inventions, but they are a means to an end rather than the final goal.

First-rate ingredients are the foundation on which cuisine is built. Expensive ingredients such as caviar or truffles are part of the repertoire but have no greater intrinsic value than other high quality ingredients.

Ingredients originating in food science and technology, such as hydrocolloids, enzymes, and emulsifiers, are powerful tools in helping to produce dishes that would otherwise be impossible.

Diners and chefs should be sensitive to the conditions under which food is harvested and grown. Whenever possible, they should support humane methods of slaughter and sustainable harvesting of wild foods such as fish.

These points boil down to two key principles: always strive to produce the most delicious, technically exquisite food, and always apply analytical thinking and creativity to constantly advance the face of cuisine.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 11-06-2018 at 08:21.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 16:00   #6
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

A Chef I respect called it the most overpriced cookbook ever released...

Two days after I bought it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181106_165809.jpg (54.8 KB, 26 views)
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 19:07   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I know........ But lets not play silly games, recipes, cuisine, plating, products etc continue to evolve and will (hopefully) continue to change. Personally I'd like to see some michelin star chefs only use product from local grocery stores and develop some menus/recipes from that....... Not all of us have access to squid ink or foie gras......
Old 11-08-2018, 23:00   #8
Penn
Area Commander

TS, I agree. Food at the end of the day must satisfy the soul, that comfort zone that sets the stage of a deserved nap, a snooze into a half sleep, safe with no worries, with a knowing that it's a rare opportunity to enjoy.

That 45 pound Modernist cook book that sits on my shelf is more of an excess then a resource. When it was released, an event was held at Jean Georges restaurant in NYC. When the author ask for questions, someone asked Nathan Myhrvold, "that with such great luxury, how do account for the elitism," you could have heard a pin drop.

Great food and memories at the end of the day are with the company you keep, be it breaking open a MRE to share on the side of wind sweep slope, or sharing a white truffle paste dish at Cafe Loret. It means very little if its not a shared experience.

In that sense, I am forever grateful to you TS for arranging that excursion to Afghanistan, for the breaking of the bread there has enriched my life with people that are still in contact with today.

The table, be it a wood board supported by bricks, or a formal setting, it whats socially binds us together. imoo
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:49   #9
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
TS, I agree. Food at the end of the day must satisfy the soul, that comfort zone that sets the stage of a deserved nap, a snooze into a half sleep, safe with no worries, with a knowing that it's a rare opportunity to enjoy.

That 45 pound Modernist cook book that sits on my shelf is more of an excess then a resource. When it was released, an event was held at Jean Georges restaurant in NYC. When the author ask for questions, someone asked Nathan Myhrvold, "that with such great luxury, how do account for the elitism," you could have heard a pin drop.

Great food and memories at the end of the day are with the company you keep, be it breaking open a MRE to share on the side of wind sweep slope, or sharing a white truffle paste dish at Cafe Loret. It means very little if its not a shared experience.

In that sense, I am forever grateful to you TS for arranging that excursion to Afghanistan, for the breaking of the bread there has enriched my life with people that are still in contact with today.

The table, be it a wood board supported by bricks, or a formal setting, it whats socially binds us together. imoo
Wow....Well said...sitting down to taste the bounty with good friends and family is the ultimate food "orgy" so to speak. It's all about the experience with those people that you've surrounded yourself with throughout your life......I wish I still had those family members and friends still at my table....but it's the memories and the great food that make it so enjoyable..... A very lovely post Penn.....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 14:16   #10
frostfire
Area Commander

Dang ya’ll make it sounds so sophisticate when the impetus was simply Tccc....
“Tactical” cheapskates caveman culinary

Cheapskates since did want to suffer from prime-nasia and get addicted to amazon-DPO fast lane. Without fancy ice cream maker, it’s caveman style w freezing the hand crank mixer and glass bowl, churn, freeze, churn, freeze, and titrate to effect.
Tactical since I had my boots n pants n gear on.......don’t want to be caught in Benghazi moment in shorts and sandals

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:29   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:

Awesome post, D.

When I see fancy plating I say, "Don't play with my food." It's not what's on my plate and especially not what it looks like, but who I'm with.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 22:58   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

This is how eating should look.........

This is how I ate in my 20's (and how I used to shoot)...............

Good food!

https://www.*******.com/watch?v=cOZH57odl_k

yeah type in y.outube
Old 11-12-2018, 00:06   #13
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
This is how I ate in my 20's (and how I used to shoot)...............

Good food!

https://www.*******.com/watch?v=cOZH57odl_k

yeah type in y.outube
What a coinkidink, I just bought my first carbon steel skillet last week. I'm impressed so far.

Good Shootn!

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote