Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 02-02-2005, 08:42   #1
Sire24657
Asset

I need help - .45 info

I need assistance. a friend of mine is overseas and needs some mags for a 1911-series pistol. I want to get him some decent ones. As I am pretty unfamiliar with them (I am very happy with my CZ-85, thanks), I was wondering what mags I should look at. I have heard that Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick makes some good ones, but I am not sure.

Please email me at stuclark@hotmail.com ASAP, Subject MAGS.

Thanks,

Sire24657
Sire24657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:18   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I'm no weapons expert. However, I was going to ask what makes one magazine superior to another. I have probably answered my own question. I would think it would be the durability and resistance to corrosion of the material and the dependability of the spring. I would feel that any reputable mag made for the weapon would be good. Price just may be a factor.

I feel that maintenance may be more of a factor. For some reason people clean and maintain their weapons but totally neglect the magazine and ammunition.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:51   #3
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

STU-
I have had very good experiences with Wilson combat 8 rd mags and have never heard anything negative concerning them. However, Do NOT buy them direct from wilson if you want a better deal. They are cheaper if you buy them online somewhere else. You can usually find them for around $20-25 /piece. They are pricey for mags, but the gun will not go bang without a functioning and reliable mag.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 02-02-2005 at 09:55.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15   #4
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

I switched from Mec-Gars a year ago to CMC 8rd power mags. I've been very happy with their flawless performance. I found good prices here
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:47   #5
Endorphin Rush
Guerrilla

I've been using Wilson mags for years and have experienced absolutely no problems with them. I would recommend them. I've also used the Wilson 20 round mags recently and have had no problems with them as well.

I would say get the mags with metal base plates unless he's got an extended mag well on his 1911, in which case has he may need the plasted extended base plate mags.

I received my Wilson 8 rounders with my 1911, so I can't tell you what they cost off hand. I defer to Sacamuelas' post on that one.

However, I did purchase my Wilson 20 rounders last year for $30 a piece. Though, that may have been a case of being at the right place at the right time.

McCormicks are also supposed to work well, but I've got no experience with them.

When he's ready to replace the mag springs, get him the ones made by Wolff.

Last edited by Endorphin Rush; 02-02-2005 at 11:48. Reason: spelling
Endorphin Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48   #6
Pattaya
Quiet Professional

I've used Wilson combat 8rd mags for years. I have alot of confidence in them.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:32   #7
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Cmc

One opinion is as good as any I guess.......

I only use Chip Mcormick mags. The shooting star mags are good for training/practice but I dont use them for everyday carry. If you shoot a lot you'll want to get the mag extenders though, they make mag changes much easier.

What I'm carrying over here are the 10 round Chip Mcormick powermags. Stainless mags with stainless followers. They have performed well with minimal maintenance, and havent jammed up from dust/sand.

I just bought mine from www.sportsmansguide.com for less than $20.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 21:00   #8
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
However, I was going to ask what makes one magazine superior to another. I have probably answered my own question. I would think it would be the durability and resistance to corrosion of the material and the dependability of the spring.
I've always heard that it's the tight tolerances around the lip of the magazine that determine if the magazine will feed reliably. No-name or Chinese-made mags just aren't made to as tight specs as original mags, and hence are prone to failure to feed. At least that's said to be the case with Beretta mags.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 00:53   #9
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffjm8509
One opinion is as good as any I guess.......

I only use Chip Mcormick mags. The shooting star mags are good for training/practice but I dont use them for everyday carry. If you shoot a lot you'll want to get the mag extenders though, they make mag changes much easier.

What I'm carrying over here are the 10 round Chip Mcormick powermags. Stainless mags with stainless followers. They have performed well with minimal maintenance, and havent jammed up from dust/sand.

I just bought mine from www.sportsmansguide.com for less than $20.

mp

First, Thank you for your service!......... Second, bear with a FOG. K, you are running over there with a .45 1911. Your mag info was great. My question is this. due to that enviroment , the dust, sand.... could you do a short explanation as to your reason for that handgun/pistol ( damn, I'm still leery of calling a pistol or rifle anything other than a weapon) . ("This is my weapon, this is my gun) Sorry.
One reason I'm asking, is just 'cause I'm interested..... more important however, I know a guy here that may be deployed to Iraq. He asked me.... I don't know, I used what we had available, which was the Army issue 45. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32   #10
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

I realize this thread is ancient. I found something I believe is noteworthy. If any one dissagrees, then I apologize.

I have 2 Wilson Combat 8 rnd mags that have been on range duty for a while, due to failures to feed. Had some free time the other day so I sat down and took a close look at the problem.

Despite being clean and appearing functional on their own, my 1911 would not cycle reliably with the mags, even with ball ammo. I assumed that the mag spring being weak was the problem, now I'm not sure.

After comparing the 2 Wilson mags to various other factory 7 rnd mags, it appears that the magazine catch slot is cut into the Wilson mags roughly 0.12" closer to the feed lips that on my 7 round original styled mags. This is causing cartriges to sit at a impractical angle as they attempt to be chambered.

I plan on doing further research, but in the meantime, I'm open to any and all suggestions. (Don't say it, TS. )
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I was able to solve the entire "failure to (whatever)" issue with my 1911, mags and all, by switching to an H&K.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
After comparing the 2 Wilson mags to various other factory 7 rnd mags, it appears that the magazine catch slot is cut into the Wilson mags roughly 0.12" closer to the feed lips that on my 7 round original styled mags. This is causing cartriges to sit at a impractical angle as they attempt to be chambered.

I plan on doing further research, but in the meantime, I'm open to any and all suggestions. (Don't say it, TS. )

Two thoughts:
1)they were manufactured incorrectly
2)the metal in the mag is soft and over time it has stretched the slot.

Most active shootist consider magazines to be consumables, with a limited life span. My money is on #2..

My suggestion:

Contact Wilson??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15   #13
WholeManin2010
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I was able to solve the entire "failure to (whatever)" issue with my 1911, mags and all, by switching to an H&K.
You accidentally wrote this in pink....
"Many current Army regulations and policies place insufficient emphasis on individual, crew, and unit marksmanship. If the fighting Army does nothing else, we must be able to hit our targets. Conversely, if we do all other things right, but fail to hit and kill targets, we shall lose."

--Army Vice Chief of Staff General John Vessey
WholeManin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30   #14
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeManin2010 View Post
You accidentally wrote this in pink....
I'm stepping lightly. Don't wanna come across as a "Heckler and Koch Snob".
Old 03-02-2012, 14:19   #15
JimP
Quiet Professional

Wilson 47D's were the issued mags last time I carried a 1911 downrange. If your unit was authorized 1911's, most units switched to Glocks in that environment, (fine sand, etc).

Mandatory note of caution: Talk to your "bud". If he is asking for folks in the rear to send him magazines, then he is probably NOT authorized to carry a 1911. I'm not even aware of any contractors who have weapons authorization to carry a 1911. Most non-standard forearms on authorization docs are Glock 19's. if he's military - he's flrting with his career.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote