Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 08-13-2014, 06:15   #46
Reynaldo Castro
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Reynaldo- I was looking through this thread and realized we graduated from Phase III together. PM me if you get a chance. Mark
Mark, I'm really sorry that I never replied to this message. I was new to PS back then and had trouble navigating this site. Hope all is well with you and your family? I've been married 37 years, have two children, they are grown men now and one granddaughter (3yrs old). Here is my Facebook name: Rey Castro.
And his is my email: reycastro@windstream.net

God Bless, and take care.
Rey

Last edited by Reynaldo Castro; 09-20-2014 at 18:08.
Reynaldo Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:17   #47
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

I just received some bad news from Trashcan today. Art Petersen the senior team medic of A362 passed away this week. I didn't know him but according to Trashcan he was an excellent medic and went on to the physician assistants program. The few getting fewer. GOD bless!
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46   #48
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
I just received some bad news from Trashcan today. Art Petersen the senior team medic of A362 passed away this week. I didn't know him but according to Trashcan he was an excellent medic and went on to the physician assistants program. The few getting fewer. GOD bless!
Fat Albert,

Was Art the medic that replaced TJ on the team? There was a new medic on A362 that had been in country only about 2 weeks, went to the filed with A362 and was wounded. That would have been around April 9th '71.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22   #49
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

I am sorry to hear this news. IIRC, Tedrick mentioned his name once or twice to me. RIP Brother.

Dean, I think that must have been Apr '72 not '71?

On another note, from what Tedrick told me and what you guys have posted here, it seems that there was a lot more enemy activity in the AO around the time of the Easter Offensive.

In November - December prior, we were operating north of Phuoc Tuy and there were some mountains near the coast. I had taken my Company to the south end of a valley for our RON. The recon platoon and I set up an OP that had a clear view of the coast line. We observed activity from fishing boats that night and guys unloading and moving material towards the mountains. The battalion base camp was set up on the north end of the valley. I took the recon platoon into the eastern most mountain and was followed by the remainder of the company. We were in mortar range of the BN for fire support if needed. Never made contact, but we did find a network of caves heavy tracks and hemp fibers left behind from a rope tied around a tree. This was reported in an AAR back to MAJ Lane.

So here's my question. Do any of you know if that was a supply depot used during the Easter Offensive? That's what I thought we found and was reported as such in the AAR. I just wonder if that boob Lane ever acted on the intel or just ignored it and went to the bar for a drink?

Last edited by Trapper John; 09-18-2014 at 10:27.
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 13:34   #50
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Dean, The team medics were Trashcan and Jeff Brown when I was there. I didn't know Art.

TJ, We never went to the north of Nui Ba Din, that was the AO of B-43 (Phouc Tuy). When I was there, we operated to the south and west of Long Hai. I know that some of our intel about pottery mine fell on deaf ears. I don't remember who was the S-2 at the time...I'm just getting old.
Old 10-10-2014, 16:47   #51
MichaelDMunro
Asset

Michael D Munro here email house606@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo Castro View Post
My name is Reynaldo Castro graduated SGT from USAIMA NCO Candidate Course at Ft. Bragg on 27 May 1971. Was sent to Vietnam in Jan 1972, primarily as an instructor to Forces Army National Khmer (F.A.N.K). That was my only crowning achievement in SF. Would like to make contact with SGT Benjamin Morales, Capt. Michael D. Munroe, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battalion.
If anyone would like to learn more about F.A.N.K. Here is a link to a Historical Study of our mission. Written by then LTC Kenneth R. Bowra. I understand he retired Major General in '05 . Here is that link to that study:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA233669
Michael D Munro here email house606@gmail.com
MichaelDMunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51   #52
jackiehlu
Asset

Chinese Nung served with F.A.N.K. and MACSOG 36 A

My name is Jackie Hong Lu With B-36 " 362 , 361 " during 1971 - 1973 Feb. would like to make contact with MTT - ST1 . 13 members while we was in Hue - Phu Bai - La Son, From Mar 23rd 1972 to Aug. 18th 1972 . and Jonny K. Berry, SFG, E7 with MACSOG 36A, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battation .......

Last edited by jackiehlu; 11-21-2014 at 18:24.
jackiehlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 15:33   #53
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Anyone Recognize this Medic

Can anyone put a name to the guy in this pic. He was a medic in camp about the same time I was. CRS is acting up and I can't put a name to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10850418_920294674662228_927950888_n.jpg (45.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:47   #54
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

I can't be sure but it looks like R. Howson.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47   #55
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Pappy Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here.

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).
TJ, I came across a picture of Pappy Webb. Found it in this link:
http://www.modernforces.com/veteran_joe_parnar.htm

I'll share a little story about Webb. Pappy was my TS and was on his 5th tour, most of the time serving with SOG. One day we brought in a new Battalion of Cambodians and this one bode come running out of the formation into Webb's arms. They were hugging each other and the bode was weeping. Later that night I was having a beer with Pappy in our team house and asked him what that was all about. He said that bode was on his RT and three of them had been captured. The bode was tied up to a tree. One American was staked to the ground and they had a charcoal fire burning on his chest. They had been beating Pappy and he acted like he was too injured to get away, so they turned their attention back to the other American. He got up and ran into the elephant grass and hit the ground.
The gooks fired over his head and ran in after him. Pappy went back and untied this bode and they both escaped. He said the American was too far gone to save.

It was quite an emotional reunion for the both of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clarence (Pappy) Webb.jpg (50.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38   #56
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Dean, thanks for the back story on Pappy. I wished I had served on his team, I always thought he was a true Warrior and had immense respect for him.

I see where he was on RT Ohio. Franz Shoaf (also on this Board) was at CCC about that time frame (RT Nebraska I believe). He probably knew him.

I have been in contact with CMDR (USN Ret) Joe Procopio. He has been working with a sizable contingent of our Khmer brothers to get them recognition for the service they provided during the war. There is going to be a ceremony at Arlington to recognize them along with the Hmong and Montagnyards. I also have been in contact with GEN Tan Thach and will be seeing him at Arlington.

If you are interested, I will send you the particulars about this event. I am hoping to see Kim Simone there. Don't know if she will make it, but I'd love to see her and learn how she is doing. Who knows maybe some of the Khmer I knew will be there too.

I really understand how Pappy must have felt at that reunion. They really are lovely people and not a day goes by that I don't miss them or think about them.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:30   #57
Doc Russell
Asset

Art Peters, Rick Howson, and Jeff Russell A-362 medics June - November 1972

When I got to Long Hai on June 28, 1972, Art Peters was in charge of the dispensary. Before that Art was the Senior medic A-362, Rick Howson was the Junior medic.

Art assigned me as the Junior medic to two teams, A-362 with Rick now the Senior medic and A-364 with Steve Wilson as the Senior Medic.

When I first met Rick, he still had a cast on his arm, having been wounded along with Danny Fitzpatrick before I arrived at Long Hai.

Joe on your earlier post on remembering medics on A-362. There were no medics named Jeff Brown at Long Hai or served with FANK at anytime. There was a medic named Kent Brown who was at Dong Ba Thin when we were there.

Holzer is back in Vietnam as you probably already know. He spent a couple of days in Long Hai and is now in Cambodia.

Last edited by Doc Russell; 04-03-2015 at 20:31.
Doc Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:42   #58
Doc Russell
Asset

Last edited by Doc Russell; 04-03-2015 at 20:47. Reason: Repeated post
Old 04-03-2015, 20:42   #59
Doc Russell
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Can anyone put a name to the guy in this pic. He was a medic in camp about the same time I was. CRS is acting up and I can't put a name to him.
The medic looks like a second tour medic SSG Robert Ryan. His first tour was with the 101st. Ryan was a leg and worked in the dispensary. As far as Joe Nelson's guess that it being Rick Howson; Rick hair was alot lighter and thinner on top.

The Vietnamese in the photo looks like the guy who worked in the lab in the dispensary.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:43   #60
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the clarification Doc. Obviously he is not who I was thinking. I do not recall any non-SF medics in '71. In fact other than Tom Rowe and George Miller I don't think there were any other medics early on. A362 was a split team then too and we all had double responsibilities. Beside being the medic with responsibility for a BN of 'bodes I was acting as the light weapons Sergeant and CO adviser for a 'bode company. Busy times! By the time I left (Feb '72) new faces were pouring into camp as the program was growing rapidly.