Old 05-06-2007, 12:00   #1
echoes
Area Commander

Smile Perú

Greetings...

(I have used the "search" button, but have not found relevant information,
so hope it is ok to post this question here, if not, please remove.)

It looks like I will be traveling solo to Lima at the end of June, to stay with friends of my family who are native to Perú.

If anyone is inclined, I was curious if there was advice from those who have been there on where to go, not go go, eat, or not to etc...?

I have been researching on the web, and I found the State Dept. rating of 3, at threat level. Umm?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Holly

Edit to add...due to recent events here in my fam...my trip is being pushed to late summer. Great advice here, though.

Last edited by echoes; 06-23-2007 at 10:43.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 14:56   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Peru has some beautiful sights.

On the down side, even though Guzman is in jail, Sendero Luminoso periodically resurges and terrorism is never far away. In 1996, SL operatives attacked and took over the Japanese Ambassador's residence in Lima and held the attendees hostage till they were rescued by Peruvian Special Forces troops, along with some friends from Panama.

Some Peruvians like Americans and some do not. In 1992, the Peruvian Air Force shot a US C-130 to pieces in a "misunderstanding". Their cooperation in the drug war has been an on again, off again proposition. The rich in the country get richer, and the poor get poorer, unless they become involved in the lucrative drug trade.

Due to the severe poverty and unemployment among the underclass, street crime is significant.

Lima and other areas of Peru periodically have outbreaks of diseases like cholera, and sanitary conditions are not what you may be accustomed to.

I would be careful where I went, what I ate and drank, who I was hanging out with, and very well attuned to what was going on around me at all times. I would avoid becoming intoxicated to the point where I was not fully in control of my faculties. Keep your SA on high, dress like the locals, don't be loud, especially in English, remain in Condition Yellow or higher, and have a ball.

Take care, be safe.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 15:16   #3
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Check here if you haven't already:

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/pe.html
Old 05-07-2007, 11:35   #4
echoes
Area Commander

TR-Thank You for taking the time to respond in such detail. I have begun mapping out my locations, and am going to register with the US Embassy as to my whereabouts while in country. I plan on keeping my headup and ears open.

AM-Thank You for the llink, it is very informative.

Holly
Old 05-07-2007, 11:41   #5
Quartz_MJC
Quiet Professional

Peru has some great places to visit and Centro de Lima has some fantastic architecture.
The Peruvians I encountered in Lima are like any people in a big city. They are less about manners and more about getting to the point. The people outside the city are friendly.

The biggest threat you will face in Peru is a very high crime rate. Be very careful of were you go and how you get there. Traveling around Lima via taxi is about the best and fastest way be vigilant even when traveling by taxi.

The infrastructure in the country is substandard, so getting around the country via car, taxi, bus, train, air can take awhile. Traveling cross country is risky because of bandits.

There is a very high rate of counterfeiting. Don't Exchange money on the street using the Cambios; you will get counterfit bills. Exchange money only at banks. The 100 Solas is the most popular counterfeit bill. Don't use your credit card with local merchants or on street corner ATM’s. Use only ATM’s at a bank.

Lima is the most polluted city in SA if not the word when it comes to airborne particulate pollution. June is winter down there and it is the worst time for pollution. There will be a constant haze covering the city, so don't be surprised if you never see the sun.
Quartz_MJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 18:58   #6
tremp
Asset

Peruvian Restaurants

I was in Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu about 2 years ago and loved every minute. My favorite restaurants in Lima are Il Postino

http://webserver.rcp.net.pe/ilpostino/

which has great Italian food.

La Rosa Nautica is a famous place and the food is great there too. It is a typical kind of tourist place though.

http://www.larosanautica.com/rn_quienes_en.html

And for dessert try http://http://www.pasteleriasanantonio.com/ We went there every possible day we could!

For traditional Peruvian dishes I liked

http://http://www.pasteleriasanantonio.com/

Have a great time! I'm hoping to take my 14 year old son in the spring.
tremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 20:45   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Currently in Peru!!!

Well everyone has made some good points. Well they do not shoot C-130's any more their last shoot down was a Missionary rented plane. Catholic country with Baptist missionary's trying to convert them, who can blame them.

The Peruvian people as a whole are some of the most friendly ones in south America as far as I am concerned and I travel each year to all of them.

You have to see Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Iquitos, The Amazon and Chavin de Huantar. Peru has a million places and I think it is the most diverse Latin American country for its history.

If you are Single you will have a Ball, If not and you are alone the 250 mile rule is in effect and you will have a ball.

The food is outstanding. Seafood is great in Lima you only need to eat it in a good restaurant.

The Highlands are good but it will be really cold this time of the year. Just encase you did not know it, it is winter now down here. Lima is overcast and damp and cool. The jungle is going into it's dry season so it only rains 1 time a day.

Well let me know if you have specific questions and I am always open to help a fellow out.
Register with the Embassy. Very important, you can do it on the web. If your passport is stolen and you do not register you will have a hell of a time getting out of here.

Scan your passport and reduce it (Front, inside pages and your back page) seal it in plastic and while you travel and they ask for your passport just show them that. that will cut down on the chances of theft.
Hope you have a good trip.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:44   #8
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT
Well everyone has made some good points. Well they do not shoot C-130's any more their last shoot down was a Missionary rented plane. Catholic country with Baptist missionary's trying to convert them, who can blame them.

The Peruvian people as a whole are some of the most friendly ones in south America as far as I am concerned and I travel each year to all of them.

You have to see Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Iquitos, The Amazon and Chavin de Huantar. Peru has a million places and I think it is the most diverse Latin American country for its history.

If you are Single you will have a Ball, If not and you are alone the 250 mile rule is in effect and you will have a ball.

The food is outstanding. Seafood is great in Lima you only need to eat it in a good restaurant.

The Highlands are good but it will be really cold this time of the year. Just encase you did not know it, it is winter now down here. Lima is overcast and damp and cool. The jungle is going into it's dry season so it only rains 1 time a day.

Well let me know if you have specific questions and I am always open to help a fellow out.
Register with the Embassy. Very important, you can do it on the web. If your passport is stolen and you do not register you will have a hell of a time getting out of here.

Scan your passport and reduce it (Front, inside pages and your back page) seal it in plastic and while you travel and they ask for your passport just show them that. that will cut down on the chances of theft.
Hope you have a good trip.
Sir,

Thank You for the information. My trip is being pushed to the end of this summer, due to some family things. I am looking forward to seeing Machu Picchu, as the family I will be staying with in Lima is taking me there for sure.

Wilco on the registering with the Embassy, and since I am a single gal, I hope I still am in for a good time.

Also: tremp: Thanks for the restaurant tips!
Holly

Last edited by echoes; 06-26-2007 at 11:24.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:54   #9
bkleonards
Auxiliary

FYI: When you check in at the Embassy, take a moment and speak with the MSG (Marine Security Guard) on duty. The "Marine House" usually has something going on, usually a TGIF on friday evenings.

Enjoy your travels.

Stay Safe and Stay Strong
bkleonards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34   #10
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkleonards
FYI: When you check in at the Embassy, take a moment and speak with the MSG (Marine Security Guard) on duty. The "Marine House" usually has something going on, usually a TGIF on friday evenings.

Enjoy your travels.

Stay Safe and Stay Strong
Well, thanks for the tip. I like Marines.
Must admit though, there's just something about Army Men.

Am looking forward most to observing the Peruvian culture, in a non tourista way. My plan is to learn as much as I can while I am there.

Holly
Old 06-26-2007, 14:14   #11
Roycroft201
Guerrilla

Quote:
Am looking forward most to observing the Peruvian culture, in a non tourista way. My plan is to learn as much as I can while I am there.
Holly,

You mentioned that your trip has been moved to later in the summer. I found that the stronger my knowledge of the language became, the more I was able to have quality time - which is what it sounds like you are hoping for.

Best wishes for a wonderful trip.

RC201
(I KNOW I have a pic with me and Simon Bolivar around here somewhere.....just can't find it ! )
"In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. " .....Lee Iacocca

I will cede that we frequently have to associate with people we may not respect. - The Reaper

Last edited by Roycroft201; 06-26-2007 at 14:16.
Roycroft201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 15:48   #12
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

If you want PM me a week prior to your trip and if I am in town I can give you a dump on the doooos and Dont's and a few good places to go. I work out of the embassy but travel a lot. My older kids loved it here. My daughter hated to leave for College but brings her friends down in the summer. I think I have adopted 8 or 9 kids since college started.
Good Luck
My Door is always open for a QP in the area.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 17:01   #13
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT
If you want PM me a week prior to your trip and if I am in town I can give you a dump on the doooos and Dont's and a few good places to go. I work out of the embassy but travel a lot. My older kids loved it here. My daughter hated to leave for College but brings her friends down in the summer. I think I have adopted 8 or 9 kids since college started.
Good Luck
My Door is always open for a QP in the area.
Sir,

Thank You. Though I am just a lowly civilian. I am looking forward to my adventure. And as TR advised, will stay on yellow alert or higher.

Roycroft: Am practicing my espanol daily.

Holly
Old 06-30-2007, 14:52   #14
tremp
Asset

Peru Places--one more time

I'm sorry that one of my restaurant links got messed-up. Here it is again. for traditional fare:

El Bolivariano [URL="http://www.elbolivariano.com/"]

One other point is to always leave your backpack, purse or other valuables on the floor between your feet in the vehicle rather than putting it on your lap. When I was there someone had their bag snatched right through the window in traffic!
tremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 14:37   #15
echoes
Area Commander

Yee-Haw

Well, yee-haw... I just confirmed that I am going to be able to go to Lima, Peru in February '08!!!

I spoke to my host family today, and am very excited to be there in summer-time. I hope there is no violence, and no earthquakes.

Holly