Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-30-2007, 10:12   #1
SOGvet
Quiet Professional

New gear store in Fayetteville

"Advanced Warfighting Solutions" on Murchison Road. Owner is Bill Arnold, a long-time supporter of SOF & SF - not only in the immediate area, but worldwide.

His stuff is top notch.. I'd put it up there with anyone's gear.

Stop by if you're in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AWS.flyer.JPG (271.7 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by SOGvet; 11-30-2007 at 10:25.
SOGvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 15:32   #2
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Thats the third maybe fourth Gear store this year. Did someone just notice FT Bragg might have a need for a couple of these.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:07   #3
Para
Quiet Professional

Not knockin' anyone, but they come and go, one of the more established names being Lightfighter. Some of them need to take a good hard look at their business plans. There are reasons why someone on Yadkin remains open, i.e. General Jackson", and others who are off less travelled locations survive for only a short time.

Why do I know AWS? He has made something that was put into the system, I just can not remember what it was.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:39   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Not knockin' anyone, but they come and go, one of the more established names being Lightfighter. Some of them need to take a good hard look at their business plans. There are reasons why someone on Yadkin remains open, i.e. General Jackson", and others who are off less travelled locations survive for only a short time.

Why do I know AWS? He has made something that was put into the system, I just can not remember what it was.

IIRC, Lightfighter had a run of employee problems, then Brad sold out. Not sure of the business decisions, but they did sell a lot of gear.

One of the problems is that quite a few people go to the retail stores to check something out, then order it on line to save a few bucks (or a lot of bucks), unless they need it right now. You can have plenty of foot traffic without having a lot of big sales.

If the unit doesn't buy $1200 vests and plate systems, not too many individuals will. Some of the stuff is just too expensive for your average Joe.

IMHO, Gen Jacksons stays in business because of location, selection, Willy, and location again. The pricing and the service are not particularly good.

At least the owner of AWS is an SF guy. His store is definitely out of the high rent district though. Not too many GIs go down to the Murch for lunch unless they have a dependency problem. Never hurts to know where it is though, in case you get a short notice deployment and need a widget.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09   #5
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Was just in there yesterday, Friday, 30 Nov, and he has a goodly amount of gear and it appeared to quality stuff. He is still stocking up so will stop by again in about a week or so.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:10   #6
Capt_G
Asset

So they aren't Arnold's Welding Service anymore?
Capt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:28   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Flying

And it's open also.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=279248

Looks like fun.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:15   #8
demodude
Quiet Professional

Post AWS

AWS has been around for awhile. He was known for doing alot of specialized metal work for range 37 and the like. I use to spend big money at his place. He was in on the HUMVEE ladder trucks and special gun mounts before everyone had them. Also helped us with a lot of body armor issues just post 911. Makes an awsom set of manual breacher tools if you had $1000 for a collasping Hoolie tool.
demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 20:52   #9
Capt_G
Asset

I remember when AWS was off of waterless st near downtown.
Capt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 21:12   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_G View Post
I remember when AWS was off of waterless st near downtown.
The manufacturing facility is still there. They just opened a retail store off Murchison.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 21:39   #11
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Have one of his vests from 2003-2004 time frame IIRC. Good work (design, materials, stitching)

Hopefully does not go the way of Tactical Tailor though (still makes decent gear, but does not customize as much anymore for the average joe - need to have those BIG unit orders IOT get that treatment) Understand that it is a volume business, but when you are 20-minutes down the road from the post - and it only takes 5 minutes on a sewing machine with size 5 thread...

On another note - AWS also makes good custom tools (even small orders for specific purposes i.e., parachute packing)

V/R,
Old 01-28-2008, 18:09   #12
Squintz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For Broke View Post
Have one of his vests from 2003-2004 time frame IIRC. Good work (design, materials, stitching)

Hopefully does not go the way of Tactical Tailor though (still makes decent gear, but does not customize as much anymore for the average joe - need to have those BIG unit orders IOT get that treatment) Understand that it is a volume business, but when you are 20-minutes down the road from the post - and it only takes 5 minutes on a sewing machine with size 5 thread...

On another note - AWS also makes good custom tools (even small orders for specific purposes i.e., parachute packing)

V/R,
TT still does custom work. It's a lot easier to get stuff done when you can walk in the door vs sending them stuff through the mail

What If The Hokey Pokey Isn't What It's All About?
Squintz is offline   Reply With Quote