BANNED USER

PJs in Afghanistan 2009

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=35673
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 00:25   #2
jbour13
Area Commander

Shocker and Pedro are the bomb.

Pedro came in on a mission that others would not. The call was made and they were up and moving very, very quickly. We sent ahead a copy of the mission and it came in handy. These boys came in low, fast and on target and kicked out all ammo varieties that was listed (even .300WM) just for giggles.

No questions asked, and no expectations of a thank you.

Had the pleasure to speak with a few and they are class acts at their jobs.

Always good to hear "Pedro/Shocker XX inbound" on the radio.

Michael Yon is on it as usual and is a great American.

Thanks for sharing, those pics made me shake a bit. Pretty nasty areas.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:47   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Dozer,

Thanks for the link - good article. My nephew is in PJ training as we speak (goes to BAC this month) and I sent the AF link to his parents.

FWIW - the "Pedro" designation brought back memories - it seemed a bit odd to see it assigned to the ARRS unit as it was the call-sign for one of the A-1E/F squadrons out of Nakhon Phnom back in our time. Guess I've gotten old - how the hell did that happen.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 16:51   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I did a lot of work with the PJ's back in the old days in Thailand at NKP. Good guys, even though they tried to feed me to their 13 foot rock python...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 15:11   #5
af_rigger
Asset

Thanks for the post!

Dozer, Thanks for the post! I was a Rigger for the PJs out of Nellis AFB back '88 to '92. I always enjoyed working with those guys, Good times! -Ken
af_rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 15:45   #6
head
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the link.
Much love and respect for the Shocker/Pedro crews. The crew out of Bastion came out a couple times to evac our guys. Luckily, I was able to thank them in person... they were humble and of course, it was all in a day's work for those guys.
Old 11-04-2009, 16:15   #7
caveman
Guerrilla

It’s bad to get shot, but if you must, it’s best to happen in the presence of Green Berets and to get picked up by Pedros.

Best quote of the article, nice pictures.
Old 11-04-2009, 16:27   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Excellent link Dozer .............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:06   #9
shortbrownguy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbour13 View Post
Shocker and Pedro are the bomb.

Pedro came in on a mission that others would not. The call was made and they were up and moving very, very quickly. We sent ahead a copy of the mission and it came in handy. These boys came in low, fast and on target and kicked out all ammo varieties that was listed (even .300WM) just for giggles.

No questions asked, and no expectations of a thank you.

Had the pleasure to speak with a few and they are class acts at their jobs.

Always good to hear "Pedro/Shocker XX inbound" on the radio.

Michael Yon is on it as usual and is a great American.

Thanks for sharing, those pics made me shake a bit. Pretty nasty areas.
I can't say enough about Pedro/ Shocker. Class acts and true warriors.
I know, and was there for the mission you speak of. Three guys are alive today because of there heroism.
shortbrownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:19   #10
Sigaba
Area Commander

Words worth a thousand pictures.

Mr. Yon shows--again--that one can provide the news without succumbing to voyeurism. From the article.
Quote:
The British are more sensitive about casualties than Americans (many Americans don’t care about photos if they are wounded, though some do). Although I was not embedded with the Brits and so do not have to follow British rules, I respect the soldiers.

And so, without the patient’s consent (which was hard to get because he was in pain and the helicopter was loud and the PJs were working), these photos will not show his face.
And later:
Quote:
Some Green Berets helped load the patient and then went back to whatever it is that Green Berets do out here.
If only MSM outlets would apply the same degree of prudence when it comes to PERSEC and OPSEC.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 20:43   #11
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Pedros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
FWIW - the "Pedro" designation brought back memories - it seemed a bit odd to see it assigned to the ARRS unit as it was the call-sign for one of the A-1E/F squadrons out of Nakhon Phnom back in our time. Guess I've gotten old - how the hell did that happen.
Air Rescue HH-43s were actually called Huskies, but they were called "Pedros", too. I posted some pics of my dads wrecked 43 on here last year.

I think the A1s were always callsigned, "Sandy", I believe.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 22:03   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Air Rescue HH-43s were actually called Huskies, but they were called "Pedros", too. I posted some pics of my dads wrecked 43 on here last year.

I think the A1s were always callsigned, "Sandy", I believe.
You're right - damn CRS - Pedros were those goofy looking HH-43s for some ARRS support - the ones I remember flew out of Udorn.

FYI - Sandys were A/C from any squadron assigned as a 'package' for downed aircrew rescue - usually an HP-130, 2-4 A-1E/G/Hs, and 2 HH-3/HH-53s. The PJs assigned to the ARRS were dedicated professionals as were the HH-53 crews for the Ponys and Green Hornets who supported us.

The A-1E/G/Hs supporting us from NKP were Hobos and Zorros.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 23:04   #13
mojaveman
Area Commander

Hats off to the PJs.

They along with the 1st SOW trained with us at Orogrande back in the day.

Those were some great pictures Dozer.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41   #14
Stealthed
SF Candidate

Thanks for the post Dozer. The pictures/stories are amazing. I'm in awe of the PJ's, those guy's are true heroes.
Stealthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48   #15
Geenie
Guerrilla

good articles!

This is a great Thread. Fantastic pictures, indeed. I've always wondered about how much combat the PJs really see. Seems like they do a great job, in any case.

Thanks for posting this!
Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote