Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-14-2021, 07:37   #1
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

What is driving today's conservatives?

I have identified as a conservative since the formative years of my 'political awakening' during the Goldwater era. My thinking was driven largely by the likes of Ayn Rand and William Buckley. As is my habit of periodically reviewing and questioning the basis for my beliefs, I have had a nagging sense that "something else" was driving me. I don't think I am alone in this and perhaps other conservatives are as well.

I recently came across the following: A brilliant Twitter thread by Andrea Widburg perfectly explains what drives today's conservatives in one of my favorite publications - American Thinker

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...u_RHKupq8_KMbI
Old 07-14-2021, 09:06   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Thomas Sowell, Milton Friedman, Thomas Jefferson to name a few.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 13:12   #3
Box
Quiet Professional

"Today's conservatives" is a wildly undefined topic.

Who exactly are we speaking of when we talk about "Today's conservatives" ??

It isn't me. My views are still pretty much the same as they were thedaybeforeyesteryearsago.

Is Milt Romulan an example of "Today's conservatives" ??
What about Wick Rilson and his fellow Biden/Harris supporters over at the Lincoln Project - maybe THEY are what we mean when we talk about "Today's conservatives"
Maybe the self righteous better-than-thou crowd at the Republican Voters Against Trump (RVAT) are considered "Today's conservatives"

Bush - Graham - Kasich - Pataki; all of these "conservative" presidential candidates demanded that the republican field sign a pledge to support the party nominee because they all thought it would be a good bludgeon to use on donald Trump when he DIDNT get the nomination and tried to run as an independant.

These men are ALL supposed to be good examples of "Today's conservatives" - men of honor and integrity and yet, every last one of them refused to "honor" their pledge when donald trump became the Republican presidential nominee.
Men of honor - pfft
Pledge - pfft
Of course, it does help explain why so many of them are SO bad at upholding their oath of office - because pledges mean NOTHING to these empty hollow flesh sacks.
"Today's conservatives" my big ole butt.

"Today's conservatives"
No such thing anymore.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 18:17   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
I recently came across the following: A brilliant Twitter thread by Andrea Widburg perfectly explains what drives today's conservatives in one of my favorite publications
That thread was a multipart one done by Darryl Cooper, AKA MartyrMade.
It was also read, nearly in its entirety, a few nights ago by none other than Tucker Carlson.
Here's one link that won't give you-know-who another click. Carlson does a pretty good job with it and reinforces the sourcing with screens of the actual text.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:14   #5
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Thank you Badger 52! Tucker Carlson put a lot of clarification on this topic. My apologies to Box and the Boxen. This wasn't about Conservatives at all.

I am not really sure what Conservatism is anymore, let alone who Conservatives are?

Using the list Mark46th put forth as exemplars, I agree with that list by the way, then "Today's conservatives" is an oxymoron! Won't make that mistake again.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:31   #6
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
I am not really sure what Conservatism is anymore, let alone who Conservatives are?
Conservatives and conservatism are pretty much extinct in political circles, what passes as conservative and conservatism are self serving bloviating whores who have sold their souls to the highest bidder. Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney, Trey Gowdy, Lindsey Graham, Darrell Isa, Asa Hutchins, Kristi Noam all come to mind, but there aren't many (if any) "conservative" politicians in recent history that are Conservative.

How many politicians in general fight for American values and the US Constitution which EVERY Federal employee, Representative, Senator, judge, political appointee, and the President and Vice President of the United States swears to support and defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic?

Not too damn many.

Conservatives and Conservatism can be easily found outside every major city in the US and in the 70+ million US citizens that General Milley (and the DC Beltway) considers Nazi's and a former President he considers Adolf Hitler-esque.

BTW....

In a new book Gen. Milley, in regards to a coup, is credited with stating:

Quote:
"You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with the guns."
Esper, Milley, Vindman, Comey, Clapper, Brennan

Things make you go hmmmmmm...
Old 07-15-2021, 09:33   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

I have far more in common with Victorian era Classic Liberalism than any of the Millennial "conservative" politicians that are defrauding US citizens out of their hard earned "tax" money.

...a political philosophy and ideology that places emphasis on securing the freedom of the individual by limiting the power of the government, civil liberties under the rule of law, economic freedom, private property, and a robust participation in laissez-faire style capitalism.

I dont know WHAT in the fuck these modern day hucksters are selling but I'm not buying any of it.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:31   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

Frustration with the GOPe "leadership".

They put the capital "U" in Uniparty.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 18:31   #9
Hacksaw
Quiet Professional

I might be too open to conspiracies, maybe. If an organization wanted to fundamentally change its rival organization and was patient enough to put in the work for decades wouldn't it look something like what the Republican party has been turned into? A neutered shell of what it was in the 1980's?

Everyone on this forum is either a practitioner of subversion, wants to be a practitioner, or, at a minimum, has a basic understanding of subversion. is it outside the realm of possibilities that we have been played, fell for the candidate that said all the right things while running for office only to do a 180 once in power? Propelled forward with financial assistance unknown to the masses?

Conservatism is not dead, it may even be resurging. The problem is, I believe, evicting the posers at the local level and voting for candidates willing to scrub the government of self propelled herpes viruses like Milley, Comey, and their ilk.

Mostly I just wanted to say Milley sucks balls but rambled a bit. Apologies
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 20:30   #10
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
is it outside the realm of possibilities that we have been played, fell for the candidate that said all the right things while running for office only to do a 180 once in power? Propelled forward with financial assistance unknown to the masses?
Sometimes that is the case. Or as is often the case you are merely given the choice of the lesser of two evils, a damned if you do and a damned if I don't proposition.

You can get a guy like Kris Kobach who blows his own campaign and you end up with shrill Laura Kelly, or he just doesn't show for the game and you get Roger Marshall. Now Kobach wants his former AG job back after his two dismal showings and Kansas better pray they don't end up with a Soros controlled hack for AG.

Last edited by Paslode; 07-16-2021 at 04:11.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:04   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
I might be too open to conspiracies, maybe. If an organization wanted to fundamentally change its rival organization and was patient enough to put in the work for decades wouldn't it look something like what the Republican party has been turned into? A neutered shell of what it was in the 1980's?

Everyone on this forum is either a practitioner of subversion, wants to be a practitioner, or, at a minimum, has a basic understanding of subversion. is it outside the realm of possibilities that we have been played, fell for the candidate that said all the right things while running for office only to do a 180 once in power? Propelled forward with financial assistance unknown to the masses?

Conservatism is not dead, it may even be resurging. The problem is, I believe, evicting the posers at the local level and voting for candidates willing to scrub the government of self propelled herpes viruses like Milley, Comey, and their ilk.

Don't find that rambling at all; it says what needs saying. Destruction began with the desire to be seen as an accomodating person, striding the middle of the road, willing to compromise one's core values. [IMO one of the most destructive accelerants ever to come along was the social media see-how-virtuous-I-am 'Like' button.] This is appropriate, perhaps, when conducting the subversion. Not so much when your country is the one being diverted onto a 1-way path of destruction.
"So thank you for that opportunity to circle back and remind everyone that Milley sucks balls." - #OrangeGirlBad®

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:56   #12
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Originally posted by Hacksaw:
Quote:
Thank you Brother!

Your post sparks optimism in me. You are exactly correct in saying that the problem is eviction of the posers at the local level. This may be precisely what is happening in Louden and Fairfax counties Virginia w/r/t CRT???

Last edited by Trapper John; 07-16-2021 at 06:06. Reason: Adding context
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:11   #13
Paslode
Area Commander

Not to divert the topic, but I have a question.

Did Milley actually 'earn' a Special Forces Tab as in did he actually make it through the Q-Course and such or did he get it merely because of an assignment?
Old 07-16-2021, 07:31   #14
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

I generally have issue with being placed in any particular bucket in our tribal society. Too easy for people to apply a preconceived laundry list of positions that I allegedly hold because of some label.

Conservative is yet another term that has been defined in the politically-twisted dictionary.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:03   #15
Hacksaw
Quiet Professional

his bio states 5th SFG and he's wearing a dive badge. It is possible since that BS was allowed but given he was a late 70's guy and not a Vietnam era guy I tend to doubt it.

However, I did forget to ask if anyone on here served with this cockgobbler.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote