Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48   #1
Uman
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 257
Are we selecting the right people and training them correctly

Are we selecting the right people with the right mentality for our core mission of UW?

Does the SFQC prepare the future SF Team member to understand and conduct full spectrum UW?

If you look at Rhodesia their SAS and Selous Scouts looked for different traits because of different core missions.
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 16:15   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 11,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uman View Post
Are we selecting the right people with the right mentality for our core mission of UW?

Does the SFQC prepare the future SF Team member to understand and conduct full spectrum UW?

If you look at Rhodesia their SAS and Selous Scouts looked for different traits because of different core missions.
SFQC at best is a test of physical & mental fortitude. One does not go to SFQC to learn.

If one gets selected and goes on to the Q, you will be taught the fundamentals of all the core traits of SF, plus your assigned MOS specialty.

When you complete the Q and receive the long tab, you will be assigned to a team and your training will continue.
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 22:03   #3
Uman
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 257
I get it the differences

I am fully aware of the differences. Where do SF Operators (see our history as this term goes back to 1952) learn more than just the basics of UW?

Where in our NCOES and OES is the higher learning on the core mission?

Subjects like

This is how a VEO takes over a village then spreads it to another village and then the state and then the country.

This is how agitation propaganda works

Remember It Is Far More Intellectual Than a Bayonet Charge...or Raid

Last edited by Uman; 06-18-2019 at 22:06.
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23   #4
Fonzy
Guerrilla
 
Fonzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uman View Post
I am fully aware of the differences. Where do SF Operators (see our history as this term goes back to 1952) learn more than just the basics of UW?

Where in our NCOES and OES is the higher learning on the core mission?

Subjects like

This is how a VEO takes over a village then spreads it to another village and then the state and then the country.

This is how agitation propaganda works

Remember It Is Far More Intellectual Than a Bayonet Charge...or Raid
opsec?
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30   #5
Box
Quiet Professional
 
Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 5,184
Ok - I'm going to take the bait.......

Quote:
Are we selecting the right people with the right mentality for our core mission of UW?
Who are "we" and "our" ??


I really need to understand who you are referring to as "we" and "our"so I can properly formulate the correct ratio of "Real Answer to Snarky Cynicism" for my future posts in this thread.
The entire "Assessment and Selection" process has had more tweaks than an 80 year old mans lower back but the overall process has remained pretty constant for right at 67 years.

What do "we" think about that?
__________________
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-19-2019 at 13:48.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 20:51   #6
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional
 
bailaviborita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineland
Posts: 549
Sorry to resurrect this from 2019- but while I was at SWCS a couple years ago this was a hot topic. The two views I heard:

1- Selection doesn't necessarily select for the right traits- it is probably too heavily reliant on the physical and not enough on the mental. The Q isn't where we train guys to be SF- it is just the basics, then they get to a team and really learn how to be SF. If we try to pick the right people perfectly- we'll never get it right and probably just screw it up--- and if we try to train SF guys thoroughly in the Q they'll be at SWCS forever and/or we'll be constantly changing things.

2- we can't make any changes to Selection because it will be looked at as if we're making things easier for females and then there will be night letters and GOs getting retired... so can't have that. Same for the Q--- but we can change it and will.... because change looks like progress. And it had gotten out of hand in terms of length. Problem is... every change... creates delays in the pipeline and bottlenecks. But- THIS time we'll get it right...

Here's a question I never understood- one of the guys who did the most work out at MacKall to figure out Selection, gather data, and try to get at the intangibles- was allowed to stay to make LTC out there, then retired and works for the Indianapolis Colts now as their head of player development. No one has reached out to him... and one of his biggest takeaways was you can't just look at objective data... you have to do some other stuff and do some interviews... to get at the intangible and subjective. You have to figure out values. I'd argue we went the opposite way lately...
__________________
To an imperial city nothing is inconsistent which is expedient - Euphemus of Athens
bailaviborita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:37   #7
bubba
Quiet Professional
 
bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sharq-el-ouset
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailaviborita View Post
Sorry to resurrect this from 2019- but while I was at SWCS a couple years ago this was a hot topic. The two views I heard:

1- Selection doesn't necessarily select for the right traits- it is probably too heavily reliant on the physical and not enough on the mental. The Q isn't where we train guys to be SF- it is just the basics, then they get to a team and really learn how to be SF. If we try to pick the right people perfectly- we'll never get it right and probably just screw it up--- and if we try to train SF guys thoroughly in the Q they'll be at SWCS forever and/or we'll be constantly changing things.

2- we can't make any changes to Selection because it will be looked at as if we're making things easier for females and then there will be night letters and GOs getting retired... so can't have that. Same for the Q--- but we can change it and will.... because change looks like progress. And it had gotten out of hand in terms of length. Problem is... every change... creates delays in the pipeline and bottlenecks. But- THIS time we'll get it right...

Here's a question I never understood- one of the guys who did the most work out at MacKall to figure out Selection, gather data, and try to get at the intangibles- was allowed to stay to make LTC out there, then retired and works for the Indianapolis Colts now as their head of player development. No one has reached out to him... and one of his biggest takeaways was you can't just look at objective data... you have to do some other stuff and do some interviews... to get at the intangible and subjective. You have to figure out values. I'd argue we went the opposite way lately...
If only there were SOF organizations that had a particular mission that “Selected” people based on a “Mission Set” that was considered “No-Fail”. Maybe, just maybe, the “bosses” could “interview” each “candidate” after they were worn down to raw nerves to see just what kind of Man the “candidate” was. Then, after that “Selection”, the “Candidate” would return for “Extensive Training” on that particular “No-Fail-Mission”, and if that “Candidate” should happen to “Fail”, they would be “Released for failing to meet Standards”…..

See, UW is treated as a “ho-hum, maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t” instead of “If you get kicked out of the G-Base, the Taliban will defeat the Northern Alliance”…. Yeah, that almost happened more than once….. But hey, Failure apparently IS an option today….

I’m glad I am retiring…..
__________________
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about.

“Let’s go Brandon!”
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Bob45nm
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:20.



Copyright 2004-2021 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies