Old 02-20-2006, 12:43   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Military Working Dogs

IED Conference spotlights ‘mine dogs’
By Phil Manson
August 25, 2005

FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. (Army News Service, Aug. 25, 2005) – One of the more promising developments discussed at the Warfighter IED Conference, Aug. 16-17, was the use of mine dogs to defeat improvised explosive devices.

Jim Pettite, mine dog program manager for the 67th Engineer Detachment, explained how the program works to about 100 conference attendees at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.

“The mine dog program involves four months of rigorous training by both the Soldier and the dog,” Pettite said. “We use ‘family friendly’ dog breeds – black labs and golden retrievers - because they are less threatening to civilians than German Shepherds and Doberman Pinschers.

“The dogs work what is known as ‘off leash,’ which means they are actually on a leash, but it is several yards long so the dog is safely out in front of its handler.”

The dogs are trained to detect many different types of explosives and ammunition, and Pettite said, to the dogs, it’s all a big game.

“From the very beginning, the dogs are trained to believe that finding IEDs is a big game,” said Staff Sgt. Harry Francorabassa, a mine-dog handler with the 67th Engineer Detachment.

“We can train three dogs simultaneously in a 50 by 50 meter area, and when they detect an IED successfully, they get to play with their special toy that is introduced to them at the beginning of training,” Francorabassa explained. “Find the bomb, play with your toy! It’s all a big game for the dogs.”

However, in theater it’s a deadly serious business for the dogs and their Soldiers.

“It’s a very hot environment for the dogs,” Pettite said. “During a typical workday, the dogs are given frequent breaks, rest and sleep in air-conditioned kennels and eat a special diet. Also, the dog teams rotate out of theater every eight months to keep them fresh mentally and physically. They return here to Fort Leonard Wood and we repeat the training process for their next deployment.

By the end of August, there will be dozens of fully trained dog teams. And as a testament to their effectiveness, not a single dog or handler has become a casualty. Many of the insurgents, though, have placed bounties on the dogs and their handlers.

In the conference’s closing remarks, First Army Commander Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honoré stressed how much of a difference junior leaders can make in defeating the IED threat.

“Never before have the actions of our junior leaders on the battlefield had such a dramatic effect on the strategic outcome of the battle,” Honoré said.

“Everyone is a sensor in the IED fight to detect, deter, defeat, prevent and respond to the threat!” Honoré said.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...5-arnews01.htm

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58   #2
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Military Working Dogs (MWD)

I was at a Counsel of Colonels back in 2003 over mine warfare at Ft Wood. Back then DA was working with the British Military on sending 21B (12B) to their course.

I know 3rd SFG has used MWD in some cases (mission) during OIF. My question is have any 18Cs used them, how did they work out. Were the handlers USA 21B (Combat Engs) or EOD units, or what?

Like to know what experiences have come from working with the MWDs. I was told by a 3rd SFG FOB commander that SF should be using them more in/or during some missions. They (MWD) are faster in searches. I have worked with them during a HDO mission in BiH. I liked them then; they did search faster then a man could.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

MWD- Do they work??

18C's keep in mind that an EMWD doesn't always work. With that said, it up to the handler to train the dog after they get them. Hope services don't train the handler on this. So if you have a MWD ensure that you issued them some C-4, Det Cord, Caps, Time Fuse to train the dog with. If you find some foreign Demo or Munitions save them for the Dog to train with. The Dog thinks he is playing a game, not working. Get to know your Dog more than just an attachment. They work as well as a mine dectector, as the operator. They are not a for sure thing!!

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-28-2006, 13:08   #4
casey
Quiet Professional

Most times that I've seen failure on the part of the dog can be directly linked back to the handler, and further, to a lack of training by the handler. But when trained, by far and away the dog is thee best tool for explosive detection I've seen thus far. We've tested ionizers and new fangled liquid nitrogen detectors, but always the dog is faster, and if trained properly, hits with almost zero false positives.

That being said, situation and terrain come into play with every search. I believe it best to think of the dog as both a tool and a rambunctious teenager -it will work if properly maintained, but only for short durations. Again, weather (heat vs. extreme cold) and the size of the area to be searched (convention center vs. small office) are factors that are often overlooked by non-trained personnel who simply believe that the dogs built in "x-ray IED vision" will lead him directly to the device. Successful meter by meter searchs depend on the constant play drive of the dog, size of and placement of the device (overlooked in training most times), wind conditions, and most importantly how well the handler "reads" his dog.

Last edited by casey; 12-28-2006 at 17:54.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 16:02   #5
smitty319
Asset

military mine dogs

I was in the Rhodesia Army as a Combat Engineer for about 4yrs. I spent alot of time.with mine dogs.and actually was in charge of the section for awhile. The dogs were very effective and in use all the time. Counting mines found and pulled we were unofficially credited with over 600 troopers saved. Arrived at many a convoy whose troops were waiting and really happy to see us.

Smitty319
smitty319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26   #6
Jefe
Auxiliary

Do they Work

I had a K9 section to work with in a temporary job in Astan and found them highly effective. The K9 Chief was an incredibly competent guy who came from the Air Force where K9 is an MOS that you can spend your entire career in as opposed to a 3yr tour. I swear he had a tail tucked inside his trouser leg he was so good with them.

I find it hard to believe that they are worried about using "family friendly" dogs.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 13:01   #7
smitty319
Asset

Air Force K-9

I see there's not many posts here. I noticed Jefe posted about A.F. Dog Handlers. I was one from 69-73/the only problem was there were no rank spots. Some kennels had an e-6 kennel master slot. to go higher, especially the career guys had to go to another field. usually still in the Air Police field.
smitty319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:46   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty319 View Post
I see there's not many posts here. I noticed Jefe posted about A.F. Dog Handlers. I was one from 69-73/the only problem was there were no rank spots. Some kennels had an e-6 kennel master slot. to go higher, especially the career guys had to go to another field. usually still in the Air Police field.
smitty:

Please read the board rules and place an introduction in the proper place before posting further.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 15:52   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

In the early 60's when I served with the 12th SF Grp.,there were 2 Chicago cops who were in the K-9 unit who brought their dogs to the drills and were teaching them and us how to utilize them in the field.......... Really remarkable how well those dogs were trained........I was quite surprised when they told me that they take them home and that their kids do playwith them!!!.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote