Old 01-20-2023, 06:23   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

Amazon Smile FYI

Got an email a few days ago that they are terminating their "Smile" program where a percentage of your purchases go to charity of your choice. Mentioned because I (and probably several here) selected Green Beret Foundation. The BLUF according to them is that "it's not having the effect we'd like because too many charities." So they're going to focus on other large-scale virtue-signalling stuff, but give the charities a 3-month "severance" chunk.

Had a nice run from my perspective, with many $$$$$ flowing there. Here's a snip of the official blurb:
Quote:
We are writing to let you know that we plan to wind down AmazonSmile by February 20, 2023. We will continue to pursue and invest in other areas where we’ve seen we can make meaningful change—from building affordable housing to providing access to computer science education for students in underserved communities to using our logistics infrastructure and technology to assist broad communities impacted by natural disasters.

To help charities that have been a part of the AmazonSmile program with this transition, we will be providing them with a one-time donation equivalent to three months of what they earned in 2022 through the program, and they will also be able to accrue additional donations until the program officially closes in February.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:19   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Got an email a few days ago that they are terminating their "Smile" program where a percentage of your purchases go to charity of your choice.
I have been on the SMILE program from day one, but have always disliked the way and how much they contribute.

One major problem was Amazon never created apps for phones and other hand-helds. In today's world,, that's what?? 60% of the market?

Additionally, In this 2015 article, it is calculated that the total 12M+ donations made were actually only 00.00012% of the Amazon retail sales :[

Quote:

The results reflect that friction: In 2015, the AmazonSmile Foundation, which administers the program, donated $12,867,013 to charity, according to the foundation’s latest Form 990-PF filed with the IRS. That’s less than 0.5 percent of Amazon.com’s retail sales.

How much less? In 2015, Amazon generated about $99.1 billion in U.S. and international retail sales, its annual report says. (See p. 68). If my math is correct, that means that the $12,867,013 in charitable giving amounts to 0.00012 percent of sales. That’s $1.20 in donations for every $10,000 of sales.

https://nonprofitchronicles.com/2017...make-me-smile/
It was a 1/2 hearted attempt, and management didn't get its perceived payback.

Also, The Wokes are probably complaining about the ULTRA MAGA RIGHT-WING orgs, like the GBF, who benefit from the merger contributions.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:15   #3
bblhead672
Area Commander

I had cancelled Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited prior to receiving the email.
Glad I had the opportunity to make my small contributions to GBF via the Smile program.
Will use the GBF website now.

https://greenberetfoundation.org/donate/
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:41   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
One major problem was Amazon never created apps for phones and other hand-helds. In today's world,, that's what?? 60% of the market?
Yeah, no shit, right? With a company that is ostensibly marketing itself as one of the most forward-thinking companies? Pffft. I don't do that stuff but if I ran a company like that I'd be all over the most badass developer kids to make that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Will use the GBF website now.
https://greenberetfoundation.org/donate/
^^ This is the way.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote