Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 09-23-2011, 15:13   #61
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

You know what's wrong with this forum,after you read these posts you get so darn hungry you have to start cooking....... I'm so satisfied with this smoker I could s**t!!!!!!!.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59   #62
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Orian

I've used mine at least once a week since I got it and it has never failed to give me excellent results!
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:35   #63
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lrrp View Post
I've used mine at least once a week since I got it and it has never failed to give me excellent results!
How do you clean yours? I made the mistake of using oven cleaner which caused some rust in places. I asked about it on their facebook page and was told do not use harsh cleaners.
Isaiah 2:17

The arrogance of man will be brought low
and the pride of men humbled;
the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
dadof18x'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43   #64
Snaquebite
Area Commander

USe a stainless steel cleaner like Stainless Steel Magic....never had rusting on any of my outside stainless stuff. Got it at Lowes IIRC.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 14:05   #65
dennisw
Area Commander

I've been using some irregular shaped mesquite charcoal which seems to burn hotter as more air get to the charcoal. I use less charcoal then the regular briquettes.

Last time I cooked ribs, it took around 50 minutes. I take them out of the smoker and then put them on the barbecue for 15 minutes where I apply the barbecue sauce every five minutes. Last time I used a pineapple juice based sauce I found in a Williams Sonoma steak and chop cookbook. Best ribs I've ever eaten.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:03   #66
hydrashok
Asset

I finally broke down and ordered one today. I'm hoping it will be here in time to use it this weekend.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35   #67
hydrashok
Asset

I did two five pound chickens yesterday with a memphis dry rub. Loaded the cooker with 3/4 apple chips 1/4 mesquite chips. In about 1 hour and 20 minutes, both chickens were cooked to perfection and were so moist I could pull out the bones. This thing is truly amazing and impressed my wife enough that she is no longer pissed at me for buying it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (58.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25   #68
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I did two five pound chickens yesterday with a memphis dry rub. Loaded the cooker with 3/4 apple chips 1/4 mesquite chips. In about 1 hour and 20 minutes, both chickens were cooked to perfection and were so moist I could pull out the bones. This thing is truly amazing and impressed my wife enough that she is no longer pissed at me for buying it.
Glad you like it. One great thing about this cooker, it's so freaking easy to use, you can follow the cookbook and cook anything and it comes out perfect---pretty easy to be a hero.

My advice---next project cook a tri-tip.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:52   #69
hydrashok
Asset

Aside from the wind playing hell with getting the charcoal lit, I really couldn't believe how easy it was, especially since I've never smoked anything before. Any words of advice on cooking a tri tip, any particular kind of wood?
Old 10-03-2011, 14:18   #70
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

Quote:
Aside from the wind playing hell with getting the charcoal lit, I really couldn't believe how easy it was, especially since I've never smoked anything before. Any words of advice on cooking a tri tip, any particular kind of wood?

in windy situations you can set it in a metal trash can

Old 10-03-2011, 15:11   #71
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I cooked a three-pounder approximately one hour and twenty minutes. As for wood, I'm still experimenting with a bunch of different kinds. I have bags of apple, mesquite, and jack daniels chips---I have found I like different wood for different stuff.

I have tried a bunch of different rubs. One of my favorites is simple Lawry's seasoned salt. But, I don't think that I have found what I would call a "bad" rub.

The only thing I have found that is handy is a digital meat thermometer. Besides that, you really can't screw this deal up.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 15:50   #72
Snaquebite
Area Commander

For the price you guys have me convinced to add one of these to my outdoor set-up....These cooking times amaze me...I've always been a low and slow kind of guy...

Question: From what you guys are saying an the videos I've watched, it seems that you set up everything and then light the coals...that being said, when does the timing start? IMO the coals would have to get hot before any cooking would start.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 10-03-2011, 17:52   #73
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
For the price you guys have me convinced to add one of these to my outdoor set-up....These cooking times amaze me...I've always been a low and slow kind of guy...

Question: From what you guys are saying an the videos I've watched, it seems that you set up everything and then light the coals...that being said, when does the timing start? IMO the coals would have to get hot before any cooking would start.
I go by the digital thermometer reading but timing would start when it heats up. Also I started using a charcoal lighting can ( with the 2 wads of newspaper), This seems even quicker...2 loads of hot coals dumped in and your set.

http://fp.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopView...tle=&pf=t&fr=t

Old 10-03-2011, 18:25   #74
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof18x'er View Post
I go by the digital thermometer reading but timing would start when it heats up. Also I started using a charcoal lighting can ( with the 2 wads of newspaper), This seems even quicker...2 loads of hot coals dumped in and your set.

http://fp.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopView...tle=&pf=t&fr=t
Got one of those...would use a thermometer too...Thanks

"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 10-03-2011, 19:31   #75
chance
Guerrilla Chief

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your smokers, see even the support guys have a good idea every once and awhile.