Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 04-22-2008, 16:57   #121
zeke
Asset

Mr. Harsey,
For your heat treating of steels after making a blade, could you use a pottery kiln opposed to a specific heat treating furnace, or is there a need for finer temperature control? It seems that pottery kilns are easily found used on craigslist and would save some money.

Last edited by zeke; 04-22-2008 at 16:59.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:51   #122
Sean King
BANNED USER

Can someone tell me how D2 steel compares to say ATS-34/154-CM in terms of overall strength and durability and ability to hold and edge, sharpen, etc?

I know D2 is not really considered stainless, it doesn't usually have a great looking finish, and has excellent edge holding....but I'm not sure how tough it is or how it's edge holding and difficulty in sharpening is when compared with 154-CM.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you had to choose between two identical knives with these two steels, which would you choose and why?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Sean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:06   #123
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean King View Post
Can someone tell me how D2 steel compares to say ATS-34/154-CM in terms of overall strength and durability and ability to hold and edge, sharpen, etc?

I know D2 is not really considered stainless, it doesn't usually have a great looking finish, and has excellent edge holding....but I'm not sure how tough it is or how it's edge holding and difficulty in sharpening is when compared with 154-CM.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you had to choose between two identical knives with these two steels, which would you choose and why?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Sean:

You are starting to become an annoyance.

From your posts thus far, it appears to me that you do not like to read, follow rules, or do your own research.

The Search button is your friend.

Stop starting new threads and asking questions you have not yet researched thoroughly.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:12   #124
Sean King
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Sean:

You are starting to become an annoyance.
And frankly, so are you. What have I done specifically to wrong you personally? Yes, I didn't do a proper introduction when I posted here for the first time. I acknowledged my error, corrected it and then apologized for it. What else is required? Let me know, and I'll try to accomodate your request. If it's that I search more....I did....and I'll explain that shortly.

You've now started what can only be termed a 'witchhunt' about my 'searching' judging by your post in the "Harsey on the Beach" thread and now this one.

Well, let's just lay it all out on the table and you can go about banning me after if you'd like. But, I WILL say my piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
From your posts thus far, it appears to me that you do not like to read, follow rules, or do your own research.

The Search button is your friend.

Stop starting new threads and asking questions you have not yet researched thoroughly.

TR
First of all, I didn't START a new thread. In fact, I haven't started ANY threads. I replied to an exsisting one. There's a difference. You're making it seem as if I'm going around the board starting new threads asking questions that have already been asked and that's neither a fair representation or at all accurate.

Second, this thread is titled: "Knife Steels-Material Science" and would therefore be a good place to post a question discussing the merits of one steel versus another for comparison purposes, don't cha think??

Third, there are only a very few posts (specifically #38-41) that even really discuss ANYTHING about D2 steel in this thread (we'll get to other threads in a moment). I read this thread a few days ago before I posted in this one at all. I just re-read it again, to see if your accusations had any merit. They do not. My questions were not covered, so I asked. I was taught that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....if I don't ask, I won't learn anything, especially using this search engine (more on that later as well).

Fourth, nowhere in this thread is CPM154 (or 154-CM if you prefer) and D2 steel directly compared; which is why I posted in this thread in the first place. Isn't a question like mine something someone might want to know in the future? Wouldn't a search pop up this thread and help someone else find the answer? I did search. Where do you think I came up with "...D2 is not really considered stainless, it doesn't usually have a great looking finish, and has excellent edge holding..."? Part of it is from what I read here as well as what I researched on the net. And yes, before you go off on my reading comprehension....I realize that you and Mr. Harsey discussed the carbide size requiring a thicker edge, and is therefore harder to get really sharp, but Mr. Harsey still said, "D-2 is a legitimate knife blade steel." and commented that he could still make very good knives from it. What I didn't get from your discussion was any reference point about CPM154 vs. D2. Can you understand where I'm coming from?

Fifth, perhaps my search foo is weak? This search engine leaves a LOT to be desired. Instead of giving hits on specific posts where the search term is used, it gives entire threads. These threads can be several pages long and it doesn't highlight the search term other than bolding it in white....not very conducive to finding information compared to other software. For example, when I search D2 steel, or D2 vs CPM154 or D2 vs 154-CM using the normal or advanced search engine on this site, I get all kinds of threads....but none of the thread titles short of this one would give any indication that D2 steel vs. CPM154 is the topic of the discussion (and to be fair, this one doesn't either...but it is the most likely one in which material differences would be the topic of conversation). Since I had read the whole thread (twice now) can you recommend a thread I should've looked at for this specific comparison? I didn't even see any with the term "D2" in the title.

Sixth, post number 118 is essentially a similar question to my own....but you didn't jump that poor guy for asking it. Why? He's asking the difference between his Randall's stainless steel and CPM-S30V. What's the difference betwen his comment and my own?

Seventh, you knew darn well that I wouldn't be able to search for the "pepper" reference I innocently asked about in the Harsey on the Beach thread. Yet you baited me with the question about "search button not working?". I responded as curteously as I could, when I was pretty sure that your tone was not a friendly one just as this latest volley wasn't.

My attitude is a direct reflection of your tone. I understand that the written word is a hard medium to convey meaning without misinterpretations, but how else am I supposed to take your comments to me?

Look, you've taken a dislike to me. I get it. I'm not sure why, but whatever. I'm reasonably sure you'll say you really don't care and neither do I. I actually enjoy your little jabs at my expense. It's interesting to probe the psyche of someone like you.

Let me tell you a little about me now....you might as well ban me (if you have the power) or get me banned by someone who does.....not because I'm going to be rude but b/c I just will not drop the issue. I am the most stubborn person you'll ever have the misfortune of meeting. I didn't do anything wrong by asking about "peppers" and I didn't do anything wrong by asking about the differences in two knife steels in this, a knife steel material science thread, and I will not budge on that. Say what you will and ban me if you must. I know whatever you can muster up as "punishment" is really irrelevant anyway....this is just the internet.

Lastly, the easiest way to shut me up (short of banning me) is to ignore me. JFYI.

If this is the last time I'm allowed to post, have a nice life. If, on the other hand, you want to discuss this further, reply here or PM me....as I'm sure this wasn't the appropriate place for this commentary and it will be deleted, but I thought it only fair that I be given the same public opportunity to rebutt your allegations.

Good day,

Sean King
Sean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:24   #125
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

126 Search hits for knife steels.

This is among the first, there are many more, most in this forum:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ht=knife+steel

Not reading these threads before asking indicates laziness to me, and your post above a disrespect for authority. Your stubbornness will not be an asset here.

Most of the people on this board have better things to do than to rehash the same topics repeatedly, because you want personal attention. The best thing to do when you realize that you are in a hole is to stop digging.

There is a lot of info here, for those willing to look for it.

The only allegation in my comments was that you do not like to read, follow rules, or do your own research. I stand by that assessment.

This is not your board, you are a guest here. Think about it.

No response is necessary.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:40   #126
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean King View Post
And frankly, so are you. What have I done specifically to wrong you personally? Yes, I didn't do a proper introduction when I posted here for the first time. I acknowledged my error, corrected it and then apologized for it. What else is required? Let me know, and I'll try to accomodate your request. If it's that I search more....I did....and I'll explain that shortly.

You've now started what can only be termed a 'witchhunt' about my 'searching' judging by your post in the "Harsey on the Beach" thread and now this one.

Well, let's just lay it all out on the table and you can go about banning me after if you'd like. But, I WILL say my piece.

First of all, I didn't START a new thread. In fact, I haven't started ANY threads. I replied to an exsisting one. There's a difference. You're making it seem as if I'm going around the board starting new threads asking questions that have already been asked and that's neither a fair representation or at all accurate.

Second, this thread is titled: "Knife Steels-Material Science" and would therefore be a good place to post a question discussing the merits of one steel versus another for comparison purposes, don't cha think??

Third, there are only a very few posts (specifically #38-41) that even really discuss ANYTHING about D2 steel in this thread (we'll get to other threads in a moment). I read this thread a few days ago before I posted in this one at all. I just re-read it again, to see if your accusations had any merit. They do not. My questions were not covered, so I asked. I was taught that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....if I don't ask, I won't learn anything, especially using this search engine (more on that later as well).

Fourth, nowhere in this thread is CPM154 (or 154-CM if you prefer) and D2 steel directly compared; which is why I posted in this thread in the first place. Isn't a question like mine something someone might want to know in the future? Wouldn't a search pop up this thread and help someone else find the answer? I did search. Where do you think I came up with "...D2 is not really considered stainless, it doesn't usually have a great looking finish, and has excellent edge holding..."? Part of it is from what I read here as well as what I researched on the net. And yes, before you go off on my reading comprehension....I realize that you and Mr. Harsey discussed the carbide size requiring a thicker edge, and is therefore harder to get really sharp, but Mr. Harsey still said, "D-2 is a legitimate knife blade steel." and commented that he could still make very good knives from it. What I didn't get from your discussion was any reference point about CPM154 vs. D2. Can you understand where I'm coming from?

Fifth, perhaps my search foo is weak? This search engine leaves a LOT to be desired. Instead of giving hits on specific posts where the search term is used, it gives entire threads. These threads can be several pages long and it doesn't highlight the search term other than bolding it in white....not very conducive to finding information compared to other software. For example, when I search D2 steel, or D2 vs CPM154 or D2 vs 154-CM using the normal or advanced search engine on this site, I get all kinds of threads....but none of the thread titles short of this one would give any indication that D2 steel vs. CPM154 is the topic of the discussion (and to be fair, this one doesn't either...but it is the most likely one in which material differences would be the topic of conversation). Since I had read the whole thread (twice now) can you recommend a thread I should've looked at for this specific comparison? I didn't even see any with the term "D2" in the title.

Sixth, post number 118 is essentially a similar question to my own....but you didn't jump that poor guy for asking it. Why? He's asking the difference between his Randall's stainless steel and CPM-S30V. What's the difference betwen his comment and my own?

Seventh, you knew darn well that I wouldn't be able to search for the "pepper" reference I innocently asked about in the Harsey on the Beach thread. Yet you baited me with the question about "search button not working?". I responded as curteously as I could, when I was pretty sure that your tone was not a friendly one just as this latest volley wasn't.

My attitude is a direct reflection of your tone. I understand that the written word is a hard medium to convey meaning without misinterpretations, but how else am I supposed to take your comments to me?

Look, you've taken a dislike to me. I get it. I'm not sure why, but whatever. I'm reasonably sure you'll say you really don't care and neither do I. I actually enjoy your little jabs at my expense. It's interesting to probe the psyche of someone like you.

Let me tell you a little about me now....you might as well ban me (if you have the power) or get me banned by someone who does.....not because I'm going to be rude but b/c I just will not drop the issue. I am the most stubborn person you'll ever have the misfortune of meeting. I didn't do anything wrong by asking about "peppers" and I didn't do anything wrong by asking about the differences in two knife steels in this, a knife steel material science thread, and I will not budge on that. Say what you will and ban me if you must. I know whatever you can muster up as "punishment" is really irrelevant anyway....this is just the internet.

Lastly, the easiest way to shut me up (short of banning me) is to ignore me. JFYI.

If this is the last time I'm allowed to post, have a nice life. If, on the other hand, you want to discuss this further, reply here or PM me....as I'm sure this wasn't the appropriate place for this commentary and it will be deleted, but I thought it only fair that I be given the same public opportunity to rebutt your allegations.

Good day,

Sean King

For a supposed engineer you ain't too smart. When you hit the "search" button it gives you two options, "show threads" or "show posts", if you're having a hard time reading let me know.

And for your information the Reaper has the means to ban you in in a Texas heartbeat, that he already didn't must mean he's killed something today and has already satisfied that urge.

If he doesn't end up banning you I probably will. It also seems you didn't read the introductions thread either..... I've highlighted something that should interest you...

"What Professional Soldiers ® is - The first thing to understand is that site is directed primarily to the Special Forces Soldier, and those interested in the SF life-style. It is our site and if you are not a member of the Special Forces, you are a guest. We welcome discussion - we demand respect be shown to all members and we will show you the same, provided you demonstrate you deserve. Respect is earned not decreed."

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ement.php?f=68

Board rule #7;

7. Think before you post. Post something unintelligent and we’ll let you know. Post something unintelligent twice and you’ll be gone. We ask no quarter and none will be given.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=3452

Mouth off again and you are gone.

Team Sergeant
Old 06-29-2008, 13:48   #127
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Stupid is as stupid does.

Goodbye Sean King.

Team Sergeant
Old 07-21-2008, 10:24   #128
Arwr
Asset

Randall Made Knives use O1 carbon and 440 stainless steels.

Arwr
Arwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 19:53   #129
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwr View Post
Randall Made Knives use O1 carbon and 440 stainless steels.

Arwr
Both those steels can be made into very good knives.
You'd have to contact the Randall Shop to confirm what steels they are using.
They may be up to more than we know.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 17:37   #130
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Grades

Some help please, I didn't want to start a new thread and this looked like it was on target...

Could someone explain to me the difference between the grades or makes of steel ie: 440c 50, 57-59 HRC ect ect ect... looking to buy a good quality fixed blade but never did understand what was good and what was cheaply made.

Thanks in advance for your input...
Old 11-05-2008, 17:41   #131
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

You can't go wrong with CPM S30V!! Google it.

This is the steel that the Yarborough is made of.

Later
Martin
Old 11-05-2008, 18:01   #132
Bill Harsey

FMF Doc,
I'm trying hard to not advocate one steel or another here because that gets into whose work I may be seen as promoting or not and that is not my reason for being here.

Martin, Thanks! yes we use the CPM S-30V in the Yarborough knife and I really believe in that alloy produced by Crucible Steel here in the USA.

Many steels can make a good knife but this depends on if the given steel is heat treated for it's optimum use and what price one is willing to pay for that particular tool. Reputation of maker/manufacturer is important as any steel is only as good as it's optimum heat treat combined with blade geometery.

You can have the perfect steel and perfect heat treat but if the blade is too thin or too thick it will not function as needed. A good using knife is a combination of factors. Please forgive me for stating the obvious.
Old 11-05-2008, 18:06   #133
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF DOC View Post
Some help please, I didn't want to start a new thread and this looked like it was on target...

Could someone explain to me the difference between the grades or makes of steel ie: 440c 50, 57-59 HRC ect ect ect... looking to buy a good quality fixed blade but never did understand what was good and what was cheaply made.

Thanks in advance for your input...
I'm re-reading thread to see if this some of this question has been answered or not.
Old 01-26-2009, 17:56   #134
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Ok, can some let me know how good or bad the specs on this blade are.

Stailess Steel 55-57 HRC hardness rated 6 3/4 I and is 9 2/5 ozs and 11 in overall, or is this just a cheap blade. I realize you get what you pay for and this knife priced for less than $100.00 I'm just looking for something I can use to beat around, maybe carry in the tool box as an extra.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 20:27   #135
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF DOC View Post
Ok, can some let me know how good or bad the specs on this blade are.

Stailess Steel 55-57 HRC hardness rated 6 3/4 I and is 9 2/5 ozs and 11 in overall, or is this just a cheap blade. I realize you get what you pay for and this knife priced for less than $100.00 I'm just looking for something I can use to beat around, maybe carry in the tool box as an extra.

Thanks
Sir,
Can you pm me more information on the knife in question? I will respond via pm also.
Thanks, Bill