Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 14:30   #1
Rodeo
Asset

I am paramedic...

Hello,

The question I am about to ask is mostly out of curiosity. When I earn my opportunity to become a SF Medic I will do the work no matter what it is. I have posed this question to a lot of recruiters but no one seems to have the answer. I am hoping a SF Medic would have a better in site.

My question is:

I am already a state certified paramedic and am curious if I will have to repeat the paramedic portion of the 18D pipeline?

Thanks Chris

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me” - Jesus

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
Old 11-26-2005, 18:41   #2
kusinagaraDB
Asset

I'm not an SF medic, but I just got back from the 91W program. I know that at least the National Guard SF units are sending their sponsored 18D soldiers through 91W before Selection. Anyone in the 91W program who is already EMS registered just skips that portion of the training and is moved to a company that's further ahead. I imagine it'd be similar in the 18D training, if there's a portion to earn the EMT-P.

The SF pipeline has just changed like in the past year, so I don't think many SF medics would actually know...unless you catch someone on here who's an instructor.

-Scott
Old 11-26-2005, 18:54   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I am going to give a simple answer. You are going through the training. You are going to learn the SF way or else. If your attitude is that you already know it you may be in for a rough time. My advice would be to shut up and play the cards that are dealt to you. Life will be much more pleasant. If it is a review be glad. If not, learn!!

As a UWO instructor I dreaded getting certified divers into the program. We had to untrain them so we could train them.

That's my opinion and reality may differ but I doubt it.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
Old 11-26-2005, 19:59   #4
Rodeo
Asset

Thanks

Gentleman:

Thanks for the quick replies.

Thanks,Chris

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me” - Jesus

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
Old 11-26-2005, 20:07   #5
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
I am going to give a simple answer. You are going through the training. You are going to learn the SF way or else. If your attitude is that you already know it you may be in for a rough time. My advice would be to shut up and play the cards that are dealt to you. Life will be much more pleasant. If it is a review be glad. If not, learn!!

As a UWO instructor I dreaded getting certified divers into the program. We had to untrain them so we could train them.

Rodeo,
If I was a betting man, I'd put all my money on this post.
Now I'll go back to where I belong,

oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!
Old 11-26-2005, 21:49   #6
Odin
Quiet Professional

You will do everything your fellow students do. The only thing you will be exempt from, as long as your certification is current, will be the national registry test for EMT-B. That is it. Rumor has it that JSOMTC is very close to becoming a NREMT-P certification granting school btw. Back to the books.
odin
Old 11-27-2005, 08:48   #7
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Exclamation Staying at the Holiday Inn Express...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusinagaraDB
I'm not an SF medic, but I just got back from the 91W program.
-Scott
Scott-

Staying at a Holiday Inn Express has no merit here. The question was directed to SF Medics and those who have insight into the program. This is not like other boards...
Please stick to what you have first hand knowledge on.

Eagle

To the EMT-P:
Yes...you must attend the entire program. Concur QRQ30's exact words.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 11-27-2005, 15:01   #8
kusinagaraDB
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Scott-

Staying at a Holiday Inn Express has no merit here. The question was directed to SF Medics and those who have insight into the program. This is not like other boards...
Please stick to what you have first hand knowledge on.
Eagle
Eagle,

With all due respect, I only responded because they are now sending 18Ds through the 91W program first. I trained with 2. Rodeo will probably get a little over a month cut off of his training time since he's EMT-P cert. I admit I know nothing about the 18D program after whiskey school...just trying to help him out.

-Scott
Old 11-27-2005, 15:16   #9
SOC Tab
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30

Agreed with QRQ 30.
While saving a life is saving a life is saving a life, operating out of an Ambulance or an Engine in the city/burbs is a ar cry from the unforgiving that is down range.
While time is of the essence in both sits, the sense of urgency/importance is far greater in country. A team is already small, lose 1 guy and the op becomes that much more "interesting".
Not to mention, the type of injuries you will treat are very different than what you'd see as an EMT.
Besides, as in everything you learn in the DoD work, it's the no-nonsense stripped down bare essentials version. What you need to make it through and get others there also, and that's the bottom line.
If I were in your situation, I'd go in there with a clear mind, like I didn't have any knowledge of the subjects at hand and learn what they teach me. You can blend what you know and personalize your own style after you've been around a bit and seen some things. Crawl before you run.

In any event, Good Luck!

ST
Old 11-27-2005, 15:17   #10
SOC Tab
BANNED USER

Oh, and I'm no SF medic. That was just my .02

Do what you will with it.
Old 11-27-2005, 15:42   #11
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Eagle,

I only responded because they are now sending 18Ds through the 91W program first. I trained with 2.
This has nothing to do with the question asked. And this situation is not "now they are sending" It had been done for decades...
Quote:
I admit I know nothing about the 18D program after whiskey school
This is the operative statement...

I would refer you back to my original post, however you do not seem to be able to derive subtleties or implications. I will therefor make it crystal clear for you...do not post regarding Special Operations information, or training environments environments, in which you have no personal knowledge or experience.

Why is that so hard? <rhetorical>

Eagle

Rodeo has his answer...thread closed

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Closed Thread