Old 01-31-2011, 12:43   #1
Danny Boy
Asset

W1

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but it pertains in part to 18D.

I'm a 68W looking at a couple of options at the moment. I recently returned from SFAS with an injury to my knee. I'm taking some time to do some physical therapy and keeping myself in shape. My first line asked me if I planned on returning to SFAS in the near future and asked me if I'd considered any alternatives to SF. I love being a medic and I think I'm pretty good at it but I know that getting made an 18D isn't always the slot you're needed to fill. That said, I'm sure I'd be pleased with any job given to me.

He asked me if I'd given any thought to a 68W W1 SOCM skill identifier instead. I know that it's the first half of the 18D training course but I was a little unsure of what unit I'd be likely to be in when I complete. He's not entirely sure himself as he can find very little information compared to me requesting Ranger assignment with training specifically for W1 Ranger Medic. He advised me not to pursue going to Ranger bat if I have aspirations to try for SF again. Does someone with just the W1 identifier tend to go to a few specific places like civil affairs or support battalions?

I'm also eligible to reclass in a few months and getting into 18X is something I'd like to do. I don't like to use terms like "stepping stones" but would applying for W1 be a good route between where I am now and applying to SF at a later date? Do any of the 18D have experience with this?
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 13:39   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

There's an alternative to SF?
sorry about your injury if your on the mend, it might be a little early to be looking at Plan B.
good luck
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 14:22   #3
Danny Boy
Asset

Please don't get me wrong. I realize that SF is a calling, just as I know that I want to do more than I am currently. I don't think of this as a "next best thing" but a progression of my skill sets. My NCO advised that I think about it and I thought it best to find out what it entails. I'm still fairly young in my career. I don't think of it as an alternative to SF but perhaps an experience that may make me richer on my journey to it. I was just curious if any SF medics had taken a similar path or had an opinion on it.
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 17:11   #4
cback0220
Quiet Professional

68WW1's can go to all kinds of units, there are slots in Special Operations support bn's, 160th, CA, and possibly PSYOP's(don't quote me on that one). One of my best buddies is on a SORT(Special Operations Resuscitation Team) and he had a pretty awesome job.
Old 01-31-2011, 17:15   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I don't think you just apply to go to SOCM.

You have to be in a slot that requires it, then the unit sends you.

You need to decide whether you want to be a team guy, or a support guy.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28   #6
Deadhead 63A1
Quiet Professional

We occassionally get "unassigned" SOCM students who reenlisted for it but those slots should be going away, and rightfully so. I'm not saying that it can't happen but it's unlikely and becoming even less so.

SOCM is about to become 36-weeks long and with the redesign of SFMS it will be a pre-requisite for students identified out of SFAS to train as 18Ds. In other words, those SFAS selectees who are designated to train as 18Ds will attend SOCM prior to beginning the SFQC. If you plan to go back to SFAS and want to give yourself the best chance at getting 18D as opposed to another MOS, being a SOCM graduate is the closest to a guarantee you're going to get.

As for Army units utilizing SOCMs, your options are SOAR, 75th Ranger Regiment, 95th CA Brigade, 528th, or GSB at one of the SFGs.
Deadhead 63A1 is offline   Reply With Quote