Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 05-14-2008, 12:58   #1
Dub
Guerrilla

How do you get it out?

You are fishing and have no formal med kit and are several miles away from the put in point in your kayak. Group of 3 guys. What do you do? (paddling back and getting your kit from the car or house is an option, but if you choose that what do you do when you get some supplies):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0069.jpg (40.7 KB, 407 views)

- Horace Mann

Last edited by Dub; 05-14-2008 at 13:02.
Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 13:17   #2
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

He is not going to like it but....... the hook needs to be cut at the point wher the other two hooks join and then it needs to be pushed through until the barb is out an the rest is pulled through. That hook is barbed inside the curve as well as the end. Do not pull it back through the finger, push it through only!!!

The finger tip is a sealed compartment and the risk of infection is great. He needs to go to a doctor do not pass go.

Yes, I was a medic long ago in a far off land.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 14:17   #3
ABN307
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
He is not going to like it but....... the hook needs to be cut at the point wher the other two hooks join and then it needs to be pushed through until the barb is out an the rest is pulled through. That hook is barbed inside the curve as well as the end. Do not pull it back through the finger, push it through only!!!

The finger tip is a sealed compartment and the risk of infection is great. He needs to go to a doctor do not pass go.

I did that once during a Bass tournament. I didn't draw a partner so I had to do it all myself. Not an easy task to say the least and those treble hooks are VERY tough. I patched it up and and fished the rest of the day and went to the Doc the next morning.
There is another option if the hook is in a workable position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zAu...eature=related
ABN307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 14:29   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

What LR said.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 14:34   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
You are fishing and have no formal med kit and are several miles away from the put in point in your kayak. Group of 3 guys. What do you do? (paddling back and getting your kit from the car or house is an option, but if you choose that what do you do when you get some supplies):
IF,, the hook is small,, secure it to the offending finger and make for the ER..

IF you have heavy enough wire cutters,, clip the offending shank off the treble,, secure finger and embedded point,, then go to the ER.

Don't try to self operate,, guaranteed you'll get sloppy and may damage nerves at the tip of your trigger finger.

Also, because of the dead bait and other fora & fauna body fluids on and about your person,, the infection is already there and needs to be cleaned,, quickly & professionaly..

Maybe one of the 18D's can get you the 2 minuit drill on deep wound cleaning.. If not done properly,, you be in bad shape..

I carry a SOG tool with the compound leverage wire cutters and a set of fishing needle-nose just in case of such an accident. One to stabilize, one to cut.

I have never had to use this method, for a couple reasons,, but I see it almost daily with the touristas self-hooking,, Go to the ER at Fisherman's Hospital,, in Marathon,, they can show you multiple examples daily,, you only need to sit for a couple minutes, before the next one arrives..

I can tell you I have hooked myself with small flys (size 10 to 1/0),, on my nose, ears, cheek, and hands, while casting in windy conditions,,(DAILY). I was fortunate,, I keep my hooks very sharp,, and I also use barb-less, or crushed barb hooks.. they slip out easily.

NEWS>>>> The NMFS is in the process of implementing a NO J HOOK rule for most if not all fishing in the ATLANTIC fisheries. This should stop a lot of self hookers,, but the ones that do get hooked are gonna be bad. Circle hooks really dig deep, and by their nature, the shanks are haddened...

Tight Lines..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 14:43   #6
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Fish Hooks?

1st: BE Careful, Pay Attention to what you are doing. ( Situation Awareness )

2nd: If you have fish hooks, have a pair of cutting pliers and the knowledge to remove a fish hook stuck in your flesh. Also it is a good idea to wear safety glasses when fishing....Regard's, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 15:36   #7
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post

Check out the Big Brain On Rick
Old 05-14-2008, 17:25   #8
Dub
Guerrilla

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html

Well, I had a general idea of how to remove it, but that hook was in a fascial plane or something, cause it was stuck good. Had hemostats and pliers with me, tom, but I voted for waiting for higher level care.

I am usually prepared, and have a pretty solid first aid kit, towing kit, and other safety gear in my personal kayak. We made the choice not to push it out in the field or cut it, and risk not leaving a long enough end for physicians liking.

Using tape and gauze we taped the lure to his hand so it would not dangle about and towed him back.

Father is retired surgeon, he got to play. Had his kit and we ended up making decision not to push through, but instead used a scalpel blade incised and withdrew the hook through its entry path, in a very slow tedius process. Lucky for the victim we had syringe and local ansthetic.

But it was not easy to get out.

Poor guy slipped and put his hand on the deck where I was changing lures, initial penetration of hook, then he instinctively jerked his hand away, but other treble hooks were caught on deck line and he literally set the hook in his finger.

- Horace Mann

Last edited by Dub; 05-14-2008 at 18:05.
Old 05-14-2008, 18:10   #9
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

Hooked

Another way that I have had the opportunity to remove a small hook in Florida was to take an 18 an put the bevel over the hook and reverse out. That barb was in the foot. You will not always have the luxury of pushing it through.
Old 05-14-2008, 18:37   #10
Dub
Guerrilla

What do you mean by 18, size hook?

- Horace Mann
Old 05-14-2008, 19:12   #11
Heretic
Quiet Professional

18 gauge needle.
Old 05-14-2008, 19:38   #12
Dub
Guerrilla

see first year medical students know nothing i tell you

- Horace Mann
Old 05-15-2008, 23:25   #13
JEVapa
Quiet Professional

Well, here's how Doc Keaton got mine out of my thumb a long time ago IOT avoid the highly possible/probable damage you can get from pushing it all the way through:

Take a piece of string and run it under the bend that makes the hook. Then push the eye down and out towards the barbed point while at the same time lifting up on the string very hard, (not yanking). This actually pushes the barb away from tissue and allows the point to withdraw. It takes a little bit of M-A-N and you can't be a weeny either. It makes an audible pop when it comes out but I can tell you that it hurts a lot less than pushing it through and you avoid infection and the possible damage to vessels and tendons.

I'll have to produce a pic to show how its done.

Last edited by JEVapa; 05-15-2008 at 23:27.
JEVapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:04   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEVapa View Post
Take a piece of string and run it under the bend that makes the hook. Then push the eye down and out towards the barbed point while at the same time lifting up on the string very hard, (not yanking).
I have had heard of this method,, being happy and successful depends on which end of the sting your on??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:19   #15
Doczilla
Guerrilla

Digital block first with lidocaine or bupivicaine. That will make whatever you do far more tolerable to the patient.

The way that is sunk in, the tip might be in the bone, so pushing through might not be an option. I agree with many of the ideas forwarded here.

As far as cleaning and disinfecting, there is only so much you can do with this. It's a puncture wound, and studies show that trying to irrigate or scrub inside the puncture doesn't reduce the risk of infection significantly when compared to a good external cleaning.

Apply bacitracin ointment twice daily. In a civilian environment where medical care is nearby, systemic (oral) antibiotics are not indicated for hooks that do not involve tendons or cartilage, and watchful waiting is appropriate. If, however, far forward where IV abx and coming off the line are not easily rendered options, I would cover with PO antibiotics that cover vibrio and aeromonus sp., such as cipro, as well as something for anaerobes like clindamycin.

'zilla

Last edited by Doczilla; 05-16-2008 at 04:20. Reason: edited for clarity
Doczilla is offline   Reply With Quote