Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 16:13   #1
Candidatebuzz
Asset

SF doctor

Hello, I am trying to get information about attaching to SF as a doctor. I am currently pursuing a military scholarship to medical school, and have no prior service. I am aware that SF medicine is not an official MOS, and that they only function in a support capactity. What I can't seem to find out is what they actually do, what kind of training they undergo, how they apply/are selected, how they interact with the medical sergeants working with them, and what kind of residency (if any) is required/prefered for selection. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 16:24   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

While there is quite a few distinguished MDs on our boards only two if I recall correctly are SF qualified.

You might want to send "Eagle5US" a PM and ask him about serving as an SF doc.

Team Sergeant
Old 10-03-2007, 17:25   #3
Dub
Guerrilla

Here is a thread on the same basic thing

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=15457

BTW are you in medical school?...

- Horace Mann

Last edited by Dub; 10-03-2007 at 17:36.
Old 10-03-2007, 17:52   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidatebuzz View Post
Hello, I am trying to get information about attaching to SF as a doctor. I am currently pursuing a military scholarship to medical school, and have no prior service. I am aware that SF medicine is not an official MOS, and that they only function in a support capactity. What I can't seem to find out is what they actually do, what kind of training they undergo, how they apply/are selected, how they interact with the medical sergeants working with them, and what kind of residency (if any) is required/prefered for selection. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
1. Use the Search button.

2. I do not think the Navy, if they pay for your school, is going to let you come play Doc for the Army.

3. If you become a physician, neither is the Army.

4. There are very few SF units with physicians compared to the Army as a whole. IMHO, the odds of you getting one are less than 1%.

5. I don't know who has suddenly begun spinning tales of SF docs and daring do to all of the med school students, but it ain't happening.

6. Fill out your profile.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 10-03-2007, 21:13   #5
Candidatebuzz
Asset

Quote:
2. I do not think the Navy, if they pay for your school, is going to let you come play Doc for the Army.

3. If you become a physician, neither is the Army.
Sorry if I miscommunicated. I am not currently commited to any branch, and am exploring my options. I am currently leaning towards Navy medicine, but I have not made any decision as of yet.

Quote:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=15457

BTW are you in medical school?...
Thank you, this thread answered most of my questions. Sorry I didn't find it earlier. Also I am not yet in medical school, but I am in a program with Tulane that has a 95% linkage to their medical school, so I think I have a very good chance of begining medical school next year.

Quote:
While there is quite a few distinguished MDs on our boards only two if I recall correctly are SF qualified.
Do you have any idea if SF qualification is necessary for the doctors that support SF units?

Last edited by Candidatebuzz; 10-03-2007 at 21:21.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:12   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidatebuzz View Post
Do you have any idea if SF qualification is necessary for the doctors that support SF units?
There is little that can be added to TR's post that would be of use.
But to answer your question...No
SF Qualification for officers involves being selected for, and attending, the Special Forces Officer program (18A). There have been a few physicians who have been able to talk the Army Medical Corps into letting them scoot out for a year or so of SF training. It is the exception, not the rule.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 10-04-2007, 04:41   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
6. Fill out your profile.

TR
This is a requirement for your future participation here.

I think your questions have already been answered, both on this thread and elsewhere, if you would care to look.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Closed Thread