Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 04-22-2004, 19:00   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

18D Medical Training Skill set

18D30 Special Forces Medical Sgt: 46 weeks

Basic Life Support/Automatic External Defibrillation (AED); pharmaceutical calculations; anatomy; physiology; pathophysiology; medical terminology; basic physical exam techniques; medical documentation; pharmacology; basic airway management; medical patient assessment; advanced airway management; prehospital trauma emergencies; patient management tasks/skills; advanced trauma skills; operating room procedures; minor surgical skills; obstetric and pediatric emergencies; crdiac pharmacology; Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), clinical/ambulance rotation; extended care to the trauma patient in a field environment; mass casualty; military triage system; medical mission planning; medical threat; preventive medicine; physical examination; veterinary; dental laboratory; medical diseases and case studies; nursing; initial and long-term wound care; echelons of care (EOC) including training in combat trauma management, UW hospital, surgical procedures, preanesthesia, anesthesia, postanesthesia care, nursing care, records and reports, radiology, and central materials supply; attends a special operations clinical training site (30 days at a U.S. Army medical training facility within CONUS) including clinical training/experience and evaluation on ability to apply patient assemssment/management/care skills in various clinical settings; rotations through surgery, dermatology, pediatrics, orthopedics, radiology, preventive medicine/community health, and the outpatient/family practice clinic.

For a start...
In addition to the above, they can expect significant amounts of formal training and opportunities in:
-Dive medicine
-Altitude physiology
-Large Animal Veterinary care
-Holisitc medicine
-Ritualistic and herbal remedy
-Superstition and cultural peculiarity
-Dental extraction
-Orthopedics
-Advanced Trauma Life Support

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:12   #2
IMUA
Quiet Professional

Damn fine post...

Joe...
Its been quite awhile since I've looked back at that syllabus...mighty impressive. Its interesting tho... that in most civilian settings, these guys can't get jobs as ER Techs...go figure!
I have 19 18D trained types (CAG, SF, SEAL)with me here in Iraq...doesn't get any better than that!
Best regards, Bro......

RB
Old 04-25-2004, 11:03   #3
krader
Asset

article

What a great job these guys have, and unique skills too. Here is an article I found online today. It would be very interesting to read a book written by a team of SF medics about their experiences and cases they have seen in their work.

It's too bad they don't get the respect they deserve job hunting if what IMUA said is true.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._medic20.shtml

krader
krader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:53   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Re: Damn fine post...

Quote:
Originally posted by IMUA
Joe...
Its been quite awhile since I've looked back at that syllabus...mighty impressive. Its interesting tho... that in most civilian settings, these guys can't get jobs as ER Techs...go figure!
I have 19 18D trained types (CAG, SF, SEAL)with me here in Iraq...doesn't get any better than that!
Best regards, Bro......

RB
You are so right...I was amazed when trying to get employment (during days o divorce) at finding out there was no civilian equivalent and ended up being the night manager for a pizza delivery
At least now they do receive NREMT-P during the first portion of their training.
Additionally, I understand that they are receiveing training in Open reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) for complicated fractures. What an incredible step.
Watch out for all those knuckleheads if they are in the same room together and someone gets hurt...
I had a NASTY dislocation during PT in ANCOC, I think I was more frightened as I was summarily surrounded by 10 other 18D's who were saying in unison: "Aww COOL!!! Let me fix it!!!"
Be Careful buddy...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 04-25-2004, 14:34   #5
brownapple

Re: Re: Damn fine post...

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle5US

Watch out for all those knuckleheads if they are in the same room together and someone gets hurt...
I had a NASTY dislocation during PT in ANCOC, I think I was more frightened as I was summarily surrounded by 10 other 18D's who were saying in unison: "Aww COOL!!! Let me fix it!!!"
Be Careful buddy...

Eagle
LOL

I've seen the finger in question. It is permanently fucked. Actually, it isn't funny...but having an 18D have a bunch of other 18Ds "fix it" so well that nothing will ever fix it is pretty funny.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49   #6
Needle D
Quiet Professional

Eagle,
Not true anymore. I'm now in language school and was in the first class that had the NREMT-P removed from the training schedule. There wasn't even an option for us to take it on our own. We have been trying to find a place to take it on our own. No luck so far. So what this means is I can't even start an IV on the out side.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:43   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Needle D:

That's interesting.

Depending on if the curriculum was changed you may not be eligible to take the NREMT-P test. The syllabus must be DOT approved, in part, to test NREMT-P. RN's cant take it either because of this.

You can contact the Nat Reg office in Ohio and they can tell you if the curriculum still qualifies and you can also find a test site on their website here.

Was Registry testing removed from the SOCM students as well?

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 04-27-2004 at 05:47.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:32   #8
DoctorDoom
Guerrilla

x

Last edited by DoctorDoom; 07-29-2013 at 11:25.
DoctorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:35   #9
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Needle D
Eagle,
Not true anymore. I'm now in language school and was in the first class that had the NREMT-P removed from the training schedule. There wasn't even an option for us to take it on our own. We have been trying to find a place to take it on our own. No luck so far. So what this means is I can't even start an IV on the out side.
Odd indeed, seeing as how I talked to the previous BN Commander not two weeks ago and he told me absolutely the opposite. He has only been gone 9 months.
The SOMT-B is its own representative within the NREMT-P legislative body in Ohio. Graduates who met criteria were (according to him) eligible to take the test.
Thanks for the input, I'll see whatcomes of it.

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 04-27-2004, 10:14   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I had an indepth conversation with the current Dean of SOMT-B a month or so ago and he did not mention the change to me, not that that means much given my status, but it was a pretty open and frank conversation.

There was talk of a possible fast-track program in the future for those of us already NREMT-P cert'd going through the 18-D course, but the specifics had not been worked out at that time.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 14:35   #11
Needle D
Quiet Professional

The last I heard was at least my class (1-03) and the two behind me were not allowed to test. So if they changed that now I may have to go down to the SOMTB and see if i can test with the current class and get my certification. I will let you know what they say.

Thanks
Needle D
Old 05-04-2004, 18:01   #12
spdch
SF Candidate

One of the 18D TACs was telling us yesterday that they are actually coming up with a seperate Special Operations Paramedic Qualification that will have a sort of "seperate but equal" status with Nat. Reg. cards. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 05-04-2004, 18:38   #13
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up I had this

"special qualification" in the early 90's...I'll see if I can find my patch and take a picture of it...

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 06-27-2004, 10:11   #14
ccrn
Guerrilla

Has anyone been able to determine if 18D will test EMT-P or equivalent. I have searched this with no concrete dependable results so far-

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 20:47   #15
Sponge
Quiet Professional

Needle D, I was in 2-03 and we also were denied from taking the NREMT-P. In fact, one of my classmates who was a paramedic on the outside world attempted over several months to pull the strings and make the calls necessary to get some students into a test. He had established a testing site that had room for them on a certain date, collected money and paid the fees, then a few weeks before the testing he was told that the SOCM course is no longer recognized by the NR as an accredited school. I'll have to find him at school and find out who told him that again. A few poor guys lost some bucks on that one. The only certification I have that will work on the outside is my NREMT-B. I do have a fancy certification of competence issued by U.S. SOC Department of Emergency Medical Services and Public Health. According to the signatures of the USSOCOM EMS coordinator and the USSOCOM EMS medical director I'm paramedic qualified. This means nada in the civilian world, unfortunately. I'll run by the SOMTB tomorrow morning and see if I can get the latest update on the situation from the instructors and students.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote