Old 07-24-2005, 19:51   #1
Chris
Guerrilla

Color Blindness

I hope this is the right place to ask about colorblindness and the Special Forces. I am red/green CV3 colorblind, and am aware this eliminates me from certain professions, IE military aviation in any flight capacity. I want to know if colorblindness means being disqualified when applying for SF. If not, I would very much like to hear any experiences from Soldiers in the Special Forces with colorblindness.

Thanks,

-Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 20:59   #2
booker
Guerrilla

You need to clarify whether you are inquiring about US or other SOF. There have been posts here about this topic (try the search function, top right corner), but to sum it all up, if you fail the color blind test, you have to take the red-green brilliant test where you have to discern between brilliant green, red and yellow lights.

Google it, it explains things better that I.
Old 07-24-2005, 21:21   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Chris:

Take a deep breath and limit yourself to one question at the time, at least till we get to know you.

Not sure that you are eligible to join SF regardless.

You need to use the search button before asking another question. The topic has already been discussed here.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 21:25   #4
Chris
Guerrilla

I am specifically inquiring about US SF (Green Berets). I did google it to but to no satisfying or pertinent information regarding SF. I can tell the difference between red/amber/green at traffic lights for example. I was told by an acquaintance, former Ranger, that he originally intended to apply for SF in the 1980's and was denied because of his colorblindness, and went to the Rangers instead.

I have a thirst for knowledge, but I will restrain myself Sir!

PS: I am not eligible at this point in time. However, moving to the United States in the next year is a very real prospect (Potential job offer for one of my parents in). My interest in the SF stemmed from an early age. I grew up next to an air war museum in the UK that flew WW2-Present military aircraft on a regular basis (P51's, Spitfires, Lancasters) and got into the history of it. I learned also at an early age that being a pilot was a no-go as a result of colorblindness. However my interest did not wane, and I am still interested in aviaton today. I saw the movie Green Berets when I was 13, and started to read about them and look at pictures. The Special Forces history interested me, especially with the conflict inside the Army about the Green Berets. I never thought it possible, but recently moving to the United States has become a very real probability. So, I wish to find out as much as I can because it is something I consider every day as what I would like to do in the future.

Thanks,

-Chris

Last edited by Chris; 07-24-2005 at 21:31.
Old 07-24-2005, 21:32   #5
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

"Color Blindness" is too general of a term. It depends upon the colors you have problem distinguishing from each other. I donb't know the book answer but would be more inclined to see color blindness as more important in certain MOS's than SF in general. If a pink and red wire look the same you could become short lived.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:59   #6
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
PS: I am not eligible at this point in time. However, moving to the United States in the next year is a very real prospect (Potential job offer for one of my parents in).
According to your profile, you're a British citizen.

Living in Canada, you may be interested in knowing that as a Canadian citizen you'd have certain visa waiver options for civilian non-immigration. Since you're a British citizen, that does not apply to you and it does not apply to the US Armed Forces in either case.

As a foreign citizen you need an LPR (Legal Permanent Residence, or I-551 status) visa, available through registration as a permanent resident or adjustment of status by form I-485 at the USCIS. Non-immigrant visas (I-94, etc), VWP (Visa Waiver Program, for people with MRP/Machine Readable Passports) and work permits (I-794, H-1x, etc) are not sufficient for enlisting in any branch of the US Armed Forces, including the Coast Guard. To serve as an officer and/or obtain a Secret clearance, required for SF and Rangers, you further need to be a US citizen.

Eligibility to apply for citizenship is awarded upon enlistment (reaching a unit?) and you are required to do so if you'd like to reenlist. That eligibility is revoked if you leave service under any other circumstances than an honorable discharge.

You will further find that the SSS (Selective Service System, handles the draft upon Congress order) may not particularly like you, since you are not required to register yourself (hey, you're not in the USA illegally - it's completely logical... ahem).

The process of obtaining LPR status is not hilarious.

You have a slight edge having a job waiting, since you have a reason and ability to stay in the country legally for a while, rectifying the situation.

HTH

Martin
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I hope this is the right place to ask about colorblindness and the Special Forces. I am red/green CV3 colorblind, and am aware this eliminates me from certain professions, IE military aviation in any flight capacity. I want to know if colorblindness means being disqualified when applying for SF. If not, I would very much like to hear any experiences from Soldiers in the Special Forces with colorblindness.

Thanks,

-Chris
As noted elsewhere on this site, google "AR 40-501" for the standard.

Searching will get you farther than just blurting out questions repeatedly.

Good technical answer, Martin.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:41   #8
Chris
Guerrilla

Search button in future!

Thank you all for your help.

-Chris
Old 07-25-2005, 12:53   #9
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
I am specifically inquiring about US SF (Green Berets). I did google it to but to no satisfying or pertinent information regarding SF. I can tell the difference between red/amber/green at traffic lights for example. I was told by an acquaintance, former Ranger, that he originally intended to apply for SF in the 1980's and was denied because of his colorblindness, and went to the Rangers instead.
Ranger BN has the same color vision standard as SF, if you cannot pass the standard red/green color test, you have to take (and pass) the vivid red/green test...
Old 07-26-2005, 15:19   #10
SP5IC
Quiet Professional

Color Blindness

It is a recessive trait I inherited from my maternal grandfather. My daughter's son is a candidate. I was denied enrollment in the PLC program in college. I had no problem joining the Army. As a 911.10 (remember them?), I often facilitated physicals in my Guard unit. That is until it was discovered that I had that red/green thing. How did I get into the Army? I think they thought I was faking. In the Guard, I memorized the red/green test. When I went active, seems that the question never arose. Decades later, I was given the colored peg test at FT Lee. They chuckled at the results. As an aside, I was getting my pre Vietnam physical, and the docs discovered an enlarged aorta. I was told that I would not be able to go to flight school. I told them that I was headed for the RVN. "No problem," they said, "Have a nice trip."
SP5IC is offline   Reply With Quote